Campus announces new dean of Graduate School of Education

On Thursday, the campus announced the new dean of the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Education, who will assume the position in late June of next year.

Prudence Carter is a professor of education and sociology at Stanford University and a fellow of the National Academy of Education, according to a statement released by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Claude Steele. Carter will replace Elliot Turiel, who has served as the interim dean of the Graduate School of Education since July 1.

Carter has published numerous works featured in documentaries, television and print news outlets and has also written many articles, book chapters and essays. She is the author of two books, “Keepin’ It Real: School Success Beyond Black and White” and “Stubborn Roots: Race, Culture, and Inequality in U.S. and South African Schools.”

In addition, she co-edited “Closing the Opportunity Gap: What America Must Do to Give Every Child an Even Chance.”

According to Linda Darling-Hammond, Carter’s colleague and professor emeritus of education at Stanford University, Carter is committed to expanding opportunities for all students.

Both have been members of the Stanford faculty for many years and have collaborated on several projects in the past, and both have experience in co-directing centers. Carter worked at the Stanford Center for Opportunity Policy in Education, where Darling-Hammond says Carter worked on expanding equity in education.

“Berkeley is lucky to get her,” Darling-Hammond said. “Her departure is being mourned at Stanford.”

Turiel, an affiliated professor in the department of psychology and the Graduate School of Education’s Jerome A. Hutto Chair, praised Carter’s extensive credentials. Turiel noted Carter’s multiple awards and recognitions, as well as her level of experience in research and directing centers.

Turiel, whose research focuses on moral and social development, took up the position of interim dean after the search for a new dean proved unsuccessful at the end of the last academic year; the previous dean, Judith Warren Little, was retiring.

The position of dean, Turiel said, is partially managerial.

Of his time as dean, Turiel said that “much had been with dealing with the programs and trying to connect with faculty and future directions of the school.”

Turiel has high hopes for his successor and is confident of her future success.

“Carter is an excellent researcher, a leading person in her field,” Turiel said. “The expectation is she will provide very good leadership for the school.”

Robert Tooke covers academics and administration. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @robertono_t.