Campus appoints vice chancellor for University Development and Alumni Relations

hooper

On Tuesday, Chancellor Nicholas Dirks appointed Julie Hooper as vice chancellor for University Development and Alumni Relations, effective immediately.

Hooper will lead campus philanthropic endeavors and manage development programs within the University Development and Alumni Relations office, while overseeing approximately 50 campus fundraising programs, according to José Rodríguez, editorial director of marketing communications in Development and Alumni Relations.

Hooper began serving as interim vice chancellor in October. She was first hired at UC Berkeley in July 2014 as associate vice chancellor for University Relations, the office now known as University Development and Alumni Relations.

She will replace Scott Biddy, who previously served as vice chancellor of University Relations for eight years. In October, Biddy was appointed as campus vice chancellor — a position that had been left vacant for the past several years.

Hooper was selected from a nationwide pool of 600 applicants. An 11-member search committee of varying campus departments “strongly” recommended her, according to Rodríguez.

Rodríguez said Hooper is “well-regarded as a fundraiser nationwide.” Working at the University of Texas at Austin from 2007 until she came to UC Berkeley, Hooper helped lead a $3 billion fundraising campaign. Between 1999 and 2007, she held fundraising and executive director leadership positions at nonprofit organizations.

During her first year working at UC Berkeley, Hooper raised a record $462.5 million from nearly 63,400 donors.

As vice chancellor, Hooper’s responsibilities will include fostering relationships with local and international donors. The methods and expenses — which included first-class flights and expensive meals — of Biddy, the previous head of fundraising, were investigated by The Daily Californian in January.

As vice chancellor, Hooper hopes to modernize, consolidate and coordinate the campus’s efforts to solicit donations.

“She has been really strong in identifying ways for campus to better engage our donors and alumni,” Rodríguez said.

The donations raised, Rodríguez said, will help UC Berkeley fund student scholarships, faculty research and other campus programs.

“Engaging our alumni and friends and inspiring their support is crucial to extending Berkeley’s academic excellence, its public mission, and its global leadership,” Hooper said in a statement.

Contact Emma Soldon at [email protected].