No. 14 Cal women’s gymnastics wins NorCal Classic

womenGym2_rgarner
Rachael Garner/File

In its first meet of the 2016 season, the No. 14 Cal women’s gymnastics team certainly made an impression.

Winning their second consecutive NorCal Classic title, the Bears took down four of their northern California rivals to come away with their highest scoring start to a season in program history.

With the record-breaking score of 195.575, Cal (4-0) defeated No. 8 Stanford (194.800), Sacramento State (194.325), UC Davis (192.700) and San Jose State (191.800) on Sunday.

The Bears were able to come away with the victory despite sophomore star Toni-Ann Williams, last year’s Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, not competing for the all-around title. Williams did, however, come away with a victory at the event, sharing the vault title with Elizabeth Price from Stanford with a score of 9.85.

While the Bears did not win any other titles, they did place in the top three of a few events. Senior Serena Leong and sophomore Arianna Robinson finished tied for third on vault with 9.80s. Coming off an injured 2015, Junior Jessica Howe also had an impressive meet, finishing tied for second on floor, 9.875, and tied for third on beam, 9.80.

The Bears’ win came from strong performances as a team and they were the only squad to score 49 points or more in two of the events. Individually, Price captured every event title and captured meet-best scores in all four events to land the all-around title with a score of 39.500.

With this being just the first event of Cal’s season, there is plenty of time for the team to grow on the individual ground. But for now, a strong win against a higher-ranked opponent is a promising way to begin a season with plenty of potential.

Alaina Getzenberg is the sports editor. Contact her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @agetzenberg.