Cal men’s gymnastics grabs 2nd place at Cal Benefit Cup

At its first home meet of the season, the Cal men’s gymnastics team faced off against one familiar opponent  and one that it has much less experience against. And at the end of Saturday night, the Bears fell right in the middle of the two.

Stanford (3-0) won the second annual Cal Benefit Cup, hosted by Cal at Haas Pavilion, with a total team score of 438.050. The Bears (1-2) placed in second behind the Cardinal posting a  426.950, while Southern California United fell to third, 365.900.

Cal lost to Stanford for the second time in a week, coming off a meet on the Cardinal’s turf, in a very similar style to the previous competition between the two rivals. Stanford triumphed in almost every event once again, despite the Bears actually improving on many of their scores from last week.

The strongest event of the night for Cal came on the floor, earning a score of 75.000, almost a program-best, just behind Stanford’s 75.200. The Bears also improved on their pommel horse score from earlier in the week, posting a 68.500 compared to a 66.450 on Monday.

Individually, Cal had significant performances from senior co-captain Kevin Wolting and freshman Aaron Mah. Wolting led the Bears in the all-around, 87.150, increasing his previous all-around score of 86.250. Mah had an impressive meet as well, scoring at least a 14.650 on all three of the events he participated in.

While this meet may have gone very similarly to Cal’s first meeting with the Cardinal, the Bears will host Stanford and Ohio State this Sunday, giving them another chance to upset their local foe.

Contact Alaina Getzenberg at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @agetzenberg.