How to binge-watch effectively

Abigail Balingit/Staff

With school already in session and syllabus season in full swing, you’ve probably been busy getting your class schedules together and no longer have time to dedicate to Netflix marathon sessions. It might have been your goal to finish that last season of “Friends” before winter break, but there simply aren’t enough hours in the day. We know, however, that you can have your cake and eat it, too. Even though spring semester gets pretty hectic, you can still squeeze in time to catch up on your favorite shows and movies. Here a couple ways to binge watch effectively, so you don’t compromise your grades during the school year.

Make good use of breakfast, lunch and dinner. 
If you don’t already watch something while eating a meal, you should definitely consider the benefits of whipping out your laptop and headphones while eating that bowl of ramen. Multitasking is a major key to being a successful UC Berkeley student and binge-watcher. It usually helps to finish a 30-minute episode while cooking and eating a meal because you don’t feel guilty about watching Netflix. Since everyone needs to eat, why not time your lunch breaks to the latest episode of “Narcos”?

Utilize breaks between class.
Having awkward gaps in your schedule can really mess up the flow of your day. You plan out your schedule in hopes that you do some productive reading in that one hour before your second class, but it rarely works out that way. Instead of just sitting outside of the classroom door doing nothing, watch something. If you watch a quick documentary that’s been on your list, you’ve still accomplished an educational goal.

Re-prioritize.
Let’s face it: We can’t do everything we want to do every day. Sometimes, we just have to reprioritize our activities in order of importance. The same ideology applies to consuming content. If you’re into watching YouTube vlogs, you can always set up a system to watch today’s vlog first and then move onto starting “Jane the Virgin” next week.

Netflix and chill with your friends.
When we mean Netflix and chill in this context, we literally mean Netflix and chill with your friends. If you set up a hangout to watch a whole season or movie together, you’re more likely to follow through on your word. Also, it’s much more fun to watch things together. Not only will you bond while you’re watching, but you’ll get to talk about the shows you’ve watched together afterward (without the risk of spoilers).

If you don’t have time, make time.
It is harder than it sounds to achieve a well-balanced schedule. Your life doesn’t revolve around streaming our favorite TV programs, but it’s important to always take the time to relax and enjoy ourselves. Whether that means treating yourself to watching a new series or rewatching “Master of None,” take a minute, or 30, to de-stress. If done responsibly, binge-watching doesn’t always have to be a bad thing.

Contact Abigail Balingit at [email protected].