Concerts to watch out for in spring 2016

Demarco

Feb. 8: TROYE SIVAN @ THE FOX THEATER

“My youth is yours!” sings Australian actor and YouTuber turned chart-climbing pop star Troye Sivan in “YOUTH,” the current single off his debut album, Blue Neighborhood. This line is emblematic of the type of performance you can expect from Sivan in his upcoming show at the Fox Theater. The young heartthrob with a penchant for ethereal synthpop rhythms, melancholy tones and honest lyrics has a loyal online following that is sure to turn the concert into an all-out fan frenzy.

In his last Bay Area show at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, Sivan previewed tracks from his then-upcoming album, such as “SUBURBIA,” while also stripping down some older fan favorites, such as “Happy Little Pill” from his breakout EP, TRXYE. Now that Sivan has been named one of Rolling Stone’s “10 New Artists You Need to Know,” there’s no predicting what he could have in store for this upcoming tour.

— Rosemarie Alejandrino

Feb. 11: ALESSIA CARA @ THE FILLMORE

If you haven’t heard her song “Here” on the radio (because who listens to that anymore?) then you’ve definitely heard it on your favorite Spotify playlist or at a frat party in the last year. It may have even rung in the New Year with you.

Alessia Cara, Canada’s latest musical export, will arrive in San Francisco on Feb. 11 at the Fillmore to serenade concert goers with songs from her nascent album, Know-It-All.

Her debut single “Here” just knocked Drake’s “Hotline Bling” off its No. 1 reign on Billboard’s Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs list, and it enjoyed a jump from ninth to sixth place on the Billboard Hot 100 (still ahead of Drake, who is seventh). The single ironically became the unofficial house party anthem of 2015 for its anxiety-ridden lyrics on social displacement supported by an addictive, slow-and-steady beat.

You won’t want to miss a look at this budding singer’s rise to fame, so make sure to be there. Or just hang out at home with your friends. Whatever makes you comfortable.

— Elizabeth Moss

APRIL 1 & 2: FATHER JOHN MISTY @ THE FOX THEATER

“Reading journalist intellectual types try to make rational sense of what the fuck I’m doing on stage is pretty rewarding,” Father John Misty tells his Twitter followers. Join him April 1 at the Fox Theater to observe “what the fuck” he’s doing for yourself. A cynic turned lover, Father John Misty has crafted beautifully orchestrated songs with insightful, witty lyricism on his latest release, “I Love You, Honeybear.” The singer’s rich voice reverberates powerfully in a live setting, and the instrumentation on tracks such as “The Ideal Husband” will certainly be a highlight. There are songs to dance to, songs to cry to and songs to laugh along with as Father John Misty highlights the hypocrisy of the world as well as its redeeming qualities. In addition to his music, Father John Misty is an opinionated individual who will most likely share his views on the world with the audience. Fun, honest, weird and talented, Father John Misty is an act that should not be missed.

— Sam Gunn

APRIL 5: TINASHE @ THE WARFIELD

Hot off the hype from her DJ Mustard-heralded banger “2 On” and worldwide tours with Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry, Tinashe’s heading to the Warfield on April 5 to take fans on her Joyride world tour. The Los Angeles-based R&B supernova’s having a star-making 2016 — her collaboration with Chance the Rapper and British DJ duo Snakehips, “All My Friends,” is set to unleash on pop radio and her much-anticipated sophomore album, Joyride, is premiering in the months ahead.

Audiences should be excited for Tinashe’s eclectic, high-octane set. Her talents as a performer are bolstered by her prodigious skills as a dancer and choreographer, which lend a captivating visual appeal to her performance. Not that her performances really need to be more amped — in addition to “2 On” and club anthem “All Hands on Deck,” the upcoming Joyride features expansive, party-ready production from hitmakers in the pop world (Max Martin, Dr. Luke) and the rap realm (Boi-1da, Hit-Boy). Make sure to catch Tinashe before her rise to pop stardom kicks into full gear.

— Joshua Bote

MAY 21: MAC DEMARCO @ THE WARFIELD

Musicianship and theatricality are two very distinct and integral parts of a live performance. Artists not only showcase their work as musicians, but also reveal their personality and philosophies, and get to interact directly with the audience. No one takes better advantage of these elements than Mac Demarco. Lovable, earnest, and jovial, Demarco is known for doing pretty much whatever he wants on stage, and the simplicity of his stage setup puts the spotlight on him. Blinding strobe lights are replaced by Demarco’s dazzling smile and constant antics (some of which are too explicit to detail here). The intimacy of his sound is amplified in person, as the lulling guitars and synths backed by muffled drums will certainly soothe and delight. Demarco’s crisp and chill melodies will undoubtedly make for a feel good evening with plenty of surprises. Be sure to catch Mac Demarco at the Warfield in San Francisco on May 21!

—Sam Gunn