Schoolhouse Rock: 6 jams for a new semester

1. “9 to 5” by Dolly Parton

“9 to 5” has some of the most relatable lyrics ever: “Tumble out of bed/And stumble to the kitchen/Pour myself a cup of ambition/And yawn and stretch and try to come to life.” While many UC Berkeley students aren’t working 9 to 5, Parton’s lyrics resonate with the stress of the masses. The struggle is so real, but that’s why you have country mafia godmother Dolly Parton.

1. “Falling” by Haim

Haim is just cool, and listening to their music makes you feel cool by default. If you want to feel badass but also chill, this is a great low-key dance song to start out your day. With short harmonies and a cool, battle-like opening, the song opens the band’s debut album, Days Are Gone. “Falling” is both about being vulnerable in the moment and allowing yourself to take charge of things — just the mentality you need for a successful semester.

1. “Real” by Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick’s song is all about feeling yourself. It’s about self-care, self-awareness and self-love — three things that we could all use more of as we find ourselves buried in schoolwork and extracurricular activities. Give this track a listen to when you’re feeling down and need some love. (Also, “Real” might just give you some insight on some of your Descartes and Lacan philosophy homework about perception and reality.)

1. “WTF (Where They From)” by Missy Elliott ft. Pharrell

Walking around UC Berkeley’s campus can be quite a workout, especially if you have back-to-back classes. Jam out on your next 10-minute walk to the queen of rap’s newest song, which embraces silly lyrics and a fun beat.  

1. “Uncharted” by Sara Bareilles

Pop songstress Sara Bareilles sure knows how to make you feel better about not having it together. With the right doses of frustration and lightheartedness, “Uncharted” will make you realize that you are not alone in your struggles to figure out life on top of school and work and everything in between.

1. “You Only Live Once” by the Strokes

Ahh, a classic. Boasting one of the coolest guitar solos ever, “You Only Live Once” is a great song to start the weekend and to wave goodbye to a week full of discussion section know-it-alls, endless meetings and general life BS. You deserve it.

Contact Stacey Nguyen at [email protected].