Residential fire breaks out on Haste Street near animal hospital

firehaste_mperez
Mitzi Perez/Staff

Update 2/9/16: This article has been updated to reflect new information from Interim Deputy Fire Chief Donna McCracken.

A residential two-alarm fire broke out at 2130 Haste St. on Tuesday morning.

At 11:15 a.m., Berkeley Fire Department received a call about the fire, which occurred in a single-family dwelling, according to Interim Deputy Fire Chief Donna McCracken. The fire was under control by 12:20 p.m., though the back of the building was extensively damaged, she said.

First respondents reported that no one had been inside the building, and there are no reported injuries, according to McCracken. She added that BFD’s main exposure concern was the neighboring Berkeley Dog & Cat Hospital, but the fire never spread to the hospital.

Pet dogs and staff who were evacuated from the side of the hospital facing the residential building waited outside until they could re-enter. Hospitalized animals on the other side were not evacuated, according to Linsey Castro, a veterinary technician at the hospital.

“We cleared out all the animals from that side of the building when we saw the fire,” Castro said.

According to Castro, Tuesday’s fire was the second to break out in the residential building in the past seven to eight months. She added that, to her knowledge, no one lives inside. The house is not abandoned, though, according to McCracken.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Check back for updates.

Andrea Platten is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @andreaplatten.