Berkeley police investigate possible Berkeley stabbing Thursday night

A man with a stab wound arrived at a Berkeley hospital Thursday night prompting Berkeley Police Department to investigate a possible stabbing in Berkeley.

According to Berkeley Police Department Lt. Dan Montgomery, the victim, an adult male, arrived at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center’s Herrick campus at about 9:45 p.m. with a stab wound, with BPD being notified of the incident shortly after.

The victim described his stabbing as having taken place at a tennis court by a church but was unsure of where in Berkeley he was, Montgomery said.

After receiving a call about a possible stabbing, BPD went to investigate an area by Channing Way and Ellsworth Street, where a tennis court is located, that fit the man’s description of where he was allegedly stabbed.

According to Montgomery, the police checked several other areas in Berkeley that were near tennis courts and churches.

The victim has since been transported to the trauma center at Highland Hospital in Oakland. As of about 11:30 p.m. Thursday, BPD has not yet been able to conclude whether the man was stabbed at the Channing Way and Ellsworth Street location or any of the other locations it has investigated so far.

BPD is continuing to investigate the incident, according to Montgomery, with few details as to where or how the incident happened.

“We’re still looking for suspects,” Montgomery said. “First we’ll take care of him and hopefully … figure out what exactly happened.”

Check back for updates.

Contact Suhauna Hussain and Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks at [email protected].