Woman assaulted near UC Berkeley campus Tuesday night

A woman was sexually assaulted near campus Tuesday evening, according to a UCPD crime alert. 

At approximately 11:30 p.m. the victim was walking along the 2500 block of Benvenue Avenue when she was approached from behind by the suspect, according to the alert. The suspect, a man in his early 20s, restrained the victim with a bear hug and then sexually assaulted her, the alert stated.

According to the alert, the victim then proceeded to chase the suspect through the Unit 2 parking lot. The suspect was last seen heading west on Haste Street, and has yet to be located by Berkeley Police Department.

The suspect is described as being of average build, with short dreadlocks, and was wearing dark-colored pants, an oversized olive green jacket and a hooded sweatshirt, according to the alert.

BPD is asking anyone with information to contact BPD’s 24-hour tip line (510) 981-5900. 

Check back for updates.

Ivana Saric is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ivanas26.

• lspanker

February 18- Community Crime Alert, Recent Sexual Assaults

Berkeley, California (Thursday, February 18, 2016) – The City of Berkeley Police Department Special Victims Unit is investigating three similar sexual assaults which occurred over the past week. BPD is sharing this suspect description, and a video of a possible suspect, in an effort to identify the suspect and protect the community. In addition, BPD is sharing information with the University of California Police Department.

On February 11, 2016 at about 9:10 p.m., an unknown suspect sexually assaulted a woman in the 2500 block of Haste Street. On February 16, 2016 at about 1100: p.m., a second woman was assaulted near the intersection of Durant Avenue and Ellsworth Street. About twenty minutes later, a third woman was assaulted a short distance away, in the 2500 block of Benvenue Street. In that incident, the victim chased the suspect through UC Berkeley’s Unit 2 parking lot, and the suspect was last seen running west on Haste. In each of these cases, the suspect appears to be targeting college age Asian women.

The suspect is described by the victims as:

An African American Male or East Indian Male, in his early 20s, 5’9″-6′ feet tall, with dark curly hair or dreadlocks pulled back, wearing a dark colored jacket and pants, with a hooded sweatshirt.