Cal softball posts 1 win and 3 losses at Outrigger Spring Fling tournament in Hawaii

softball_tdawson
Timothy Dawson/File

The Cal women’s softball team (11-10) got lucky — very lucky. As Hawaii was positioned to score a run to force the Bears’ first game in Honolulu into extra innings, lady luck intervened in the form of the Rainbow Wahine’s third base coach. As Hawaii’s Alia Monges was rounding third, the coach touched her back and abruptly ended the game, allowing Cal to escape narrowly with its only win in four games at this past week’s Outrigger Spring Fling tournament.

The Bears started their stint in Hawaii with a 3-2 win over the Rainbow Wahine (14-13). Cal went down 1-0 in the second inning when Hawaii’s Ulu Matagiese launched a home run over the left center-field fence, but the Bears weren’t deterred. They tied the game in the fourth and went up 3-1 with two more runs in the fifth.

Jazmyn Jackson scored the first run for Cal, and Octavia Bond and Lindsay Rood widened the lead when Kylie Reed brought them both home with a single. Just as the Bears were starting to feel as though they had secured the win, however, Hawaii brought the score within one in the seventh inning with an RBI by Sarah Muzik. The flub by the Rainbow Wahine’s coach at third then ended the game with a 3-2 victory for Cal.

The win was further aided by a stellar pitching performance from freshman Kourtney Shaw who allowed just three hits and one run while compiling four strikeouts in five innings.

In their next game against North Dakota State (14-11), the Bears were the team with the late-game comeback. Cal found itself down 6-3 at the bottom of the seventh inning, mostly because of four errors that it accrued throughout the course of the game.

With Rood, Reed and Jackson loading the bases, flyouts from Taurie Pogue and Kobie Pettis brought the score to 6-5, but the Bears were unable to continue their scoring surge and left Jackson, the potential tying run, on third. The Bears’ offense was led by Rood, who had three of her team’s seven hits, and Jackson, who led her team with two RBI.

Things were looking good for Cal in its third match of the week against No. 22 Baylor

(19-5) when Rood hit a three-run home run in the third that gave her team a 3-2 lead. Unfortunately, this was the only scoring that Cal was able to do, and it lost 5-3.

Baylor’s first two runs came in the first inning with RBI from Sarah Smith and Linsey Hays. After going down 3-2 because of the Rood home run, Baylor evened the score with a run in the fourth after an error. It took the lead in the sixth when, with two outs, Hays hit a two-run RBI that sealed the victory.

In its final game of the weekend, Cal faced a familiar foe in North Dakota State. The Bears had the opportunity to start their scoring early when they loaded the bases in the first with only one out but were unable to capitalize. The Bison, however, were. They took the lead early in the first when Cheyenne Garcia hit a double to right center to bring in Katie Shoultz.

The Bears responded with an RBI single from Reed to tie the game 1-1 but a huge fourth inning, including three runs off of five singles by NDSU, granted it a 4-1 lead. In the sixth, Cal’s Annie Aldrete hit a homerun to bring the score to 4-2, but her run was not enough to bring the Bears back into the game and they ultimately fell to the Bison by that same score.

“Looking at this weekend as a whole, we beat ourselves. Our defense could’ve been tighter, and we need everyone to pull their own weight and for everything to get going all at one time,” Reed said.

Sophie Goethals covers softball. Contact her at [email protected]