Tunesday: For the road

Spring break is less than a week away. For many of us, that means packing our bags and heading home. As we use our week off to soak in the sun and relax, maybe these tunes will help you unwind on the road.

“Lush Life” by Zara Larsson

A Swedish singer and songwriter, Larsson rose to fame after winningTalang,” a talent show similar to “Got Talent.” Her strong vocals mixed in the upbeat tune give listeners the opportunity to wind down and relax. With lyrics such as, “I live my life as if it was the last / Live my day as if there was no past,” the soft-spoken words create the perfect backdrop for drives.  

“Until You Were Gone” by the Chainsmokers

So many times, you look back on a memory and remember every detail of the moment. In this song, this American and Slovak DJ duo recounts the what-ifs and could-have-beens of a previous relationship. Initially creating remixes of indie bands, the band’s ability to successfully make music and remixes in the electro house genre might just be for you during the break.

“Used to Love You” by Gwen Stefani

Gwen Stefani gives us chills once again — this time in her new hit “Used to Love You.” If you are yearning for the heartfelt moments of a previous relationship, this song is the perfect reminder that even with change and the business of our everyday lives, love is the one constant that remains the same. Letting your feelings wander with this swoon-worthy tune while on a road trip may be just the remedy you need this spring break. Stefani has been creating new music since 1986 and sings to memories of recollection and regret in this number.

“Fantasy” by Alina Baraz

A song that illustrates the necessity of getting away from your worries and troubles, “Fantasy” by Alina Baraz, a singer and songwriter, gives listeners a taste of a mix between downtempo electronica and R&B in her 2015 album, Urban Flora EP. As the tune comes to a close, her overall message remains clear: “You could leave your worries / Listen to the waves / Let them wash away your pain.”

“She Will Be Loved” by Maroon 5

An American rock pop band from Los Angeles, Maroon 5 shares a painfully honest tune about falling in love. A low-keyed number, this song is perfect for relaxing and letting your mind wander while on the road after a stressful semester. Crooning to lyrics such as, “Look for the girl with the broken smile / Ask her if she wants to stay a while,” the band shares the importance of loving someone and being loved in return.

Contact Mana Anvar at [email protected].