Campus administrators in process of reviewing all campus building names

buildings_zali
Zainab Ali/Staff

UC Berkeley senior administrators are conducting a “comprehensive assessment” of all campus building names, according to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof, amid recent concerns from students about some building names.

There is a working group of senior administrators that are “just looking” at the names of the campus buildings, totaling more than 150, Mogulof said. He added, however, that there is no guarantee of changes.

“Once it’s complete, (campus administrators) will engage students … (in a) discussion of opinions and ideas of the future,” Mogulof said, adding that the discussion will address whether any existing buildings will be renamed and that the assessment is almost complete.

In 2015, the Black Student Union, or BSU, demanded that Barrows Hall — currently named after former UC Berkeley president David Prescott Barrows — be renamed to honor black activist Assata Shakur, according to a BSU press release.

According to the press release, Barrows was an “imperialist” who contributed to “perpetuating American colonialism, the creation of damaging stereotypes, and the subsequent destruction of cultures.”

Barrows Hall is home to the African American studies, ethnic studies and gender and women’s studies departments.

Contact Jason Tran at [email protected].

• Nunya Beeswax

As the budget crisis looms, and as UC becomes more corporatized, we worry about rearranging the deck chairs. Typical.

• ShadrachSmith

Social Justice Warriors just seized the naming rights to all campus buildings? Can we get a legal opinion on that?

• Bob Bell

Rename Tang Center – too much sugar.

• M2000

Why tuition fees always go up, to appease the pathetic ruling “activists”…

• lspanker

And the fools wonder why nothing constructive ever gets done.

• M2000

When Conservatives want to rebel, we think of convention of states, when Leftists want to rebel, they demand to shutdown someone’s freedom of speech and shove their views down our throats. Big difference.

• lspanker

Another ludicrous time-wasting exercise catering to the most easily offended…