Spring break road trip essentials

cunninghamsunset_scristol
Samantha Cristol/File

Spring break is almost upon us, and we at the Clog are sure many of you have plans to take an exciting road trip to some exotic destination, such as San Diego or even Los Angeles. Well, we like to consider ourselves experts on all things road trip and, as such, we’ve compiled a list of all the essential things you’ll need for your upcoming highway adventures.

Snacks/Starbucks

Some prefer chips, others prefer candy, but as far as we’re concerned, Starbucks is an essential component to getting any road trip off to a good start. Not to mention, those extra espresso shots in your lattes will help keep you awake on those particularly long driving shifts.

Sweatpants

This should be a given, but those sweatpants you refuse to wear outside of the house are an absolute key to staying comfy, whether you’re the one driving or curled up in the passenger seat. Or, God forbid, you’re stuck in the middle seat in the back.

Sanity

Hours at the wheel, stop-and-go traffic and a bad playlist are enough to drive anyone crazy. So, make sure you bring your sanity with you, and make sure not to forget it on the way home.

Spotify

A quality playlist is perhaps the most important thing you can bring to a road trip, so make sure you include a little variety and mix things up with Spotify, Pandora or iTunes Radio. Whatever you do, make sure you don’t end up with someone who’s going to play The Life of Pablo on a continuous loop.

Spare Tire

While not all cars come with a spare tire, this is something you should definitely consider investing in, especially if you’re taking a trip that spans more than a few hundred miles. At the very least, try and bring along someone with a AAA card which is available 24 hours a day for seven days a week. The service can be a total lifesaver when you find yourself stuck on the side of the road.

Smartphone

We at the Clog cannot imagine how anyone managed to get around before Google Maps. Make sure you’ve got your smartphone handy to help navigate the journey.  Put the navigator on speaker, or even hook up your phone to the auxiliary or Bluetooth so you can listen to the directions without having to look down at every turn.

Sunglasses

This may seem pretty obvious, but some of us have experienced firsthand the pain of trying to drive with the sun glaring down at us. So, make sure to double check that you have this last essential. You can’t go through spring break without your favorite shades!

Whether you’re going to SoCal or Cabo San Lucas, take spring break by storm with these road trip must-haves.

Contact Erin Alexander at [email protected].