New shows to get you through spring break

netflix
Taylor Follett/Staff

In a wasteland of midterms and papers — and let’s be honest, tears — it can be comforting to watch the same shows over and over again. Maybe you already know all the words to every episode of “Friends” or “The Office,” but isn’t it time to start fresh with a new show? We at the Clog have some suggestions for shows you can watch on Netflix that will help you feel refreshed, rejuvenated and ready to finish out the semester on a strong note.

Flaked

“Flaked” is a brand new Netflix original set in Venice, Los Angeles, starring Will Arnett as a kombucha-drinking Alcoholics Anonymous attendee. The eight-episode series came out just five days ago, so jump on the bandwagon early, because this shit is going to be big. The characters are classic, hilarious and perfectly portrayed. The casting is seriously on point and the yellowish sepia tint lends the whole show a wondrous, golden L.A. feel. Not only do they tackle issues such as alcoholism, but they also incorporate how corporate interest and gentrification is taking over areas of L.A. This show is a must-watch, and the soundtrack will have you googling lyrics such as “I want to kick my dad in the shins lyrics” (a real thing we googled while watching this show).

Love

“Love” follows two awkward weirdos living in L.A. as they stumble their way, as we all do, through friendships and relationships. “Community”‘s Gillian Jacobs stars as Mickey, a complicated and strange radio show manager. She’s pretty and funny, and almost fits into the manic pixie dream girl trope, but manages to hold her own fairly well against Gus, played by Paul Rust. She is not necessarily a good person, but that makes her all the more infuriating and entertaining to watch. Gus is very annoying. He is a very irritating, weak-willed character, but Mickey opens him up to new experiences such as hotboxing then getting fast food, which makes him a little bit more likable. If you find it a little difficult to get through the first couple of episodes, push through them — it does get better, we promise.

Master of None

If you haven’t watched this already, you need to ASAP. Aziz Ansari challenges so many assumptions we have about television and makes you think critically about how we racialize television. Not only that, he also makes you consider how we structure our lives and think about why we give certain meaning to the relationships we have based on how old we are. It’s an exploration of happiness: how to get it, why we should strive for it and why what makes you happy doesn’t have to be “normal.” The acting is a little stiff in some scenes, but the script is so good that it almost doesn’t matter. Rewatching the scenes with Aziz’s parents a couple times is highly recommended.

Grace and Frankie

If you’re like me, you’re a long-time fan of Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda, and you still think of Martin Sheen as the beloved President Bartlet and Sam Waterston as the tough but fair Jack McCoy. Somehow, they are able to reinvent themselves wonderfully as brand new characters. That in and of itself is a feat, but coupled with the great writing and storylines, this show is a winner, winner, chicken dinner. Elements of reality, such as the horrors of online dating and divorce, coupled with elements of the surreal, like a 70-year-old using all-natural, homemade yam lubricant, coexist in “Grace and Frankie” to create the perfect space for you to laugh and cry — both within 10 minutes.

Happy spring break to all! And happy watching!

Contact Sasha Ashall at [email protected].a