UC Board of Regents approves amended statement of Principles against Intolerance condemning anti-Semitism

oved_pdowney
Phillip Downey/File

Update 03/23/2016: This article has been updated to reflect more information from the UC Board of Regents meeting Wednesday.

At its Wednesday meeting, the UC Board of Regents preliminarily approved a statement of principles against intolerance that condemns anti-Semitism but does not name anti-Zionism itself as a form of discrimination.

The new version of the Statement of Principles Against Intolerance, released last week, expressly held anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism in contempt. On Wednesday, at the beginning of committee discussion of the statement, Regent Norman Pattiz proposed that the statement be amended to name anti-Semitism and anti-Semitic forms of anti-Zionism as types of discrimination, rather than simply anti-Zionism.

“Anti-Zionism means a political viewpoint that is protected under the First Amendment, and it is a viewpoint that is open to debate, according to the principles of academic freedom,” said campus professor Judith Butler during public comment.

At a March 17 meeting, the Academic Council of the UC Academic Senate drafted a letter outlining its concerns regarding the final report of the UC regents’ working group on the statement. In the letter, the council voiced its support of the UC regents’ affirmed commitment to defending freedom of expression and academic freedom in its principles against intolerance. The council, however, objected specifically to the inclusion of “Anti-Zionism” in the wording of the report.

“Zionism is a nationalist and political movement with specific and well-documented historical roots,” the letter states. “We fear that an overly broad interpretation of ‘Anti-Zionism’ may have a chilling effect on reasonable and appropriate discourse on this political, social, and historical phenomenon.”

But Student Regent Avi Oved said at the meeting that anti-Zionist sentiment often erodes into the demonization of individuals and that the statement aims to protect students from such discrimination. He said he sees the statement overall as an opportunity to “move the needle” on many kinds of discrimination.

Regent Russell Gould said at the meeting that he was concerned about enforcement of the principles and maintained that it is the responsibility of the UC president and chancellors to ensure their consistent application.

The report outlines 10 points prohibiting discrimination. The statement was first presented to the board in September 2015, after which the board decided to rework the statement of principles to specifically address anti-Semitism after hearing public concern.

The board also heard an update on mental health staffing on UC campuses. Regina Fleming, medical director of the UC Student Health Insurance Program, originally proposed a plan for increased funding of UC mental health services in September 2014.

Fleming noted that students face issues with access to nonurgent psychological care. According to Fleming, students wait less than one day on average for an urgent concern but wait an average of 21 days to begin therapy.

At the meeting, UC Student Association President Kevin Sabo cited the results of a mental health services study conducted by the UCSA and urged the university to “be creative about hiring diverse staff.”

On Thursday, the full board will reconvene to finalize its approval of the Statement of Principles against Intolerance.

Contact Suhauna Hussain and Harini Shyamsundar at [email protected].

• Aaron Aarons

“Israel also belongs to Islam too”

No, it belongs to the Palestinian people of all religions and none.

• Arafat

Jews were in Israel LONG before Muslims. Muslims are squatters wherever you find them.

• Aaron Aarons

So presumably Muslims were manufactured out of clay by a guy named Mohammed. Or maybe they are descendants of real human beings, including Jews, Christians and Hindus, who adopted Islam at some point in history. Changing their religion didn’t make then ‘squatters’ deserving less rights to the lands of their ancestors.

• Arafat

The pedophile prophet Mohammed was born late in the 6th century, thousands of years after Jews lived in and embraced Israel as their home.
          +++
          Very few chose Islam, most did so at a point of a sword. Just as is happening today in Nigeria and elsewhere.
          +++
          And for your information, barbaric Muslim jihadists have killed up to 70 million Hindus in their centuries long jihad of southern Asia.
          +++
          These details evidently escape you as does most everything else. Did your parents lock you in closets as a kid?

• SMH

.

TO THE COMMENT PAGE MODERATOR: Dan Spitzer, above, is engaging in a deliberate ad homimen misspelling of UC Berkeley Professor *Hatem Bazian’s* name.

Professor Bazian’s first name is spelled H-a-t-e-m.

Spitzer’s purposeful ad hominem misspelling of Professor Bazian’s name would be like anyone appropriately pointing out that Dan Spitzer *regularly*, indeed, _*Spitz*_ out nasty ad hominems, invectives, epithets, and defamation against any comment poster who disagrees with his *repugnant*, *rabid* Zionism.

Dan Spitzer is regularly known for using these verbal tactics to directly harass anti-Zionist Jewish and Palestinian *women* at pro-Palestinian human rights demonstrations on the UC Berkeley campus.

.

• thompson_richard

As you know, over 2,000 Palestinians were killed — mostly children. When The Regents call me — as an alumnus — for a donation — I say that I’m on the other line — then hang up.

• Aaron Aarons

For those who question why Israel is singled out among all the countries that do terrible things, you should be asking the people, including nearly every member of the U.S. Congress, who single out the crimes of Israel –not for criticism, but for praise and material rewards, like money and arms! Even the crimes of the United Snakes itself aren’t defended as consistently by U.S. congresspersons, presidential candidates, and other politicians as are those of the Zionist state.

• SMH

.

RE the “only Israel is singled-out” Zionist Jewish argument/claim:

I guess the rabid Zionists missed the *DECADES-LONG* campaign against *apartheid* in South Africa — during which _ white *Jewish* apartheid Israel_ was not only _white *Christian* apartheid South Africa’s_ closest friend, but *ISRAEL* — NOW THE VERY LAST WHITE-DOMINATED SETTLER-COLONIAL APARTHEID STATE OF ITS KIND in the entire world — primarily funded with billions upon billions of dollars each & every year, year-after-year, by the U.S. (our *own* government) — was apartheid South Africa’s main, often sole, and greatest military & para-military supplier of weapons to then apartheid South Africa to brutally oppress the indigenous black South Africans — when there was an international weapons embargo against the white South African apartheid state!

Btw, then the U.S. & UK government (especially, Reagan & Thatcher) called Nelson Mandela and the ANC (the then-famed African National Congress) anti-white *TERRORISTS*!

It was the U.S. CIA that originally critically *helped* and made possible for the racist white South African apartheid state to locate and capture _Nelson Mandela_ and imprison him at hard labor for *27* years — until the *people* of the world and the BDS campaign finally forced his release and the abolishment of South African apartheid to the dust bin of history.

The very same thing — unfortunately only after the costs of thousands of even more, indigenous, Palestinian lives of men, women, teens, kids and even babies — that will eventually happen to political Zionism, *Jewish*-white-supremacy, and apartheid in Israel.

.

• SMH

.

THE FURTHER RESPONSE TO THE _”ISRAEL IS BEING SINGLED-OUT”_ ZIONIST ARGUMENT/CLAIM:

I’ve already talked about the then decades-long international BDS campaign against white apartheid _South Africa_.

But, before Israel, people concerned with human rights have/had _*morally condemned*_ the then white apartheid colonial states of _RHODESIA_, as well as the U.S.-installed-&-supported dictatorial _Shah_ of IRAN (after the CIA overthrew democracy there), and then _Saddam_ in IRAQ — back when the U.S. govt previously *supported* & *armed* Saddam (but that didn’t mean that progressives wanted a pro-Israel/neocon-championed devastating total war destroying Iraq’s entire society and directly/indirectly a million lives) — as well as, even now, the *U.S.-supported* male-supremacist gender-apartheid dictatorships of _SAUDI ARABIA_, _KUWAIT_, and _BAHRAIN_ — even though the U.S. doesn’t even get the great majority of its oil from the Mideast — and *U.S.-supported* previously genocidal THEN FASCIST DICTATORSHIPS IN _INDONESIA_, _CHILE_, _ARGENTINA_, _EL SALVADOR_, _GUATEMALA_, _MYANMAR_, _SPAIN_, as well as the *U.S.-supported* previously dictatorial _SOUTH KOREA_ (before university students led a finally successful pro-democracy movement), and certainly *heavily* protested the _*U.S.* GOVERNMENT_ itself in its genocidal war in Vietnam — as well as morally condemned the previous fascist govts of _JAPAN_ and _NAZI GERMANY_ (back before when a lot of right-wing elements in the U.S. previously *loved* Hitler because Hitler was rabidly capitalist and anti-unions, among other things), when American progressives had called for BDS against *those* fascist/Nazi states, well before Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. And those don’t include *all* the govts/states progressives have/had morally condemned and called for BDS against.

So, anyone in general would have to be woefully unknowledgeable, mis-educated, and easily misled down the Western historical — and U.S. government & mainstream media led — **MEMORY HOLE** to believe that “Israel is being singled-out” — and to believe that human rights activists (including *many* *anti*-Zionist Jews) only morally condemn apartheid Israel’s atrocities & Zionist Jews _”just because they’re Jews!”_ — and that only “anti-Semitism” could motivate such human rights activists.

.

• Dan Spitzer

Arafat, thinking again on this matter, it is indeed time to flag the overtly anti-Semtic screed of Joseph Anderson and Fred Mrozek. I was in error to imply that it should be simply ignored. Their bigotry was the very the reason for the regents to approve the resolution opposing anti-Semitism, including that which stems from anti-Zionist origins. So do please flag the bigoted posts as will I….

• Arafat

I think I agree. It’s difficult to know what is right seeing that our First Amendment is so vitally important, but I’m not sure how else we fight today’s Goebbels as they have no conscience and zero respect for the truth.

• Dan Spitzer

Even given the First Amendment, university communities and their newspapers have every right to set their own standards. The excess of unmitigated bias seen in the screeds of Anderson (SMH) and Mzorek in this thread are antithetical to what is deemed appropriate on the Daily Cal’s website and it will be instructive to see if the paper’s editors will apply their guidelines to the bigotry and personal attacks penned by SMH and Mzorek. Indeed, it would make eminently good sense if the Daily Cal were to permanently ban these two for spewing such overt anti-Semitic rubbish on the paper’s website for they will surely do so again if given the opportunity…

• Arafat

The problem with your logic is that I have been banned from many university sites.
          I would agree with you completely if one assumed the editors of these college sites were wise and fair, but we both know this is not the case.
          That said I am flagging the posts that are flagrantly biased and founded in hatred.

• Dan Spitzer

I understand what you are saying. But all that we can do is to continue to try to express ourselves honestly and to hope that by so doing we will be treated honorably. And in response to those who would promulgate hatred on sites like these, I’ve decided after seeing such repugnant screed in this thread that these merchants of hatred must be called upon for their bigotry in the hopes that such toxic waste will not spread to others, particularly poorly informed members of the university community…

• Arafat

We’re on the same page.

• Arafat

Do you write comments on this topic elsewhere?

• Dan Spitzer

When the Berkeley Daily Planet was a print edition, it’s owner editor Beckely O’Malley was so obsessed with her need to condemn Israel that many local people started calling it The Daily Palestinian. I used to have letters published in that propagandistic paper regularly and even once condemned a SJP disruption of a talk by Daniel Pipes. Police removed the protesters who shouted down Pipes, save one-Joseph Anderson-who proceeded to scream at the audience, “You are all a bunch of filthy lying Jews.” In response to my reportage of this, the Editor gave Anderson a half page to rant lies about me, something which you can see on this topic that he is still doing.

After the Daily Planet printed pieces so toxic that we could no longer accept it serving as the community paper, we took its screed to advertisers who, appalled, stopped providing the paper with ad revenue. Hence the Daily Planet went belly up.

I used to have letters regularly published in the SF Chron until I confronted Editorial Page Editor John Diaz about his anti-Israel bias. He hasn’t published me since.

I do write responses to the topic Israel/Palestine whenever possible in the NY Times on line commentary section.

• SMH

Spitzer: “Hence the Daily Planet went belly up.”

Actually, like many locally, regionally or nationally prominent journals and newspapers, it merely went online, and now it gets even much *wider* circulation.

So, now it went *national* and even *global*!

Anyone can now keep up with The Daily Planet if they are away from home anywhere in the *nation*, overseas, and now *globally*!

And this being a *Berkeley*, California, newspaper now people all over the Bay Area read it, and people (including Berkeley ‘expats’) in cities like San Francisco, Mill Valley, Walnut Creek, Palo Alto, L.A., Seattle, Portland, Boulder, New York, D.C., Boston, and other cities/towns (as anyone could see from its letters-to-the-editor and guest commentaries), even readers in London and Seoul (which many UC Berkeley students/academics come from), regularly keep up with it.

But, that sure was a real nice *HALF-PAGE* spread that Joseph Anderson got — it was *very* widely read — all thanks to Dan Sptizer!

And now anyone in the entire world can read it (Anderson’s commentary and the Daily Planet).

[Smile]

Anderson (but never Spitzer) was even interviewed on the PBS Newshour(!) about campus multiculturalism controversies!

Ref. : BerkeleyDailyPlanet.com

• Arafat

I stick with smaller publications thinking they are the ones who need a voice of reason. The NYT and their ilk already have their share of “Arafats” unlike your local collegiate internet paper.

• SMH

Dan Spitzer was once kicked off the UC Berkeley campus due to his physical harassment & misogynist, sexually obscene, crude name-calling against a group of anti-Zionist Jewish women students holding a vigil for Israel’s civilian victims in Gaza during the last Israeli bombing there. He even knocked over a little Jewish girl at the vigil, causing her to scrape her hands, elbows & knees, when he was trying to knock a peace sign out of the hands of her mother right next to the little girl. Spitzer has been known for this pattern of behavior & is generally considered dangerously aggressive around women.

Dan Spitzer has also been known to stand outside of Ethnic Studies lecture halls & aggressively stick his video camera into the faces of any students of color, as they come out, whom he’s known of as having participated in any pro-Palestinian human rights demonstrations & vigils on campus.

Spitzer has, in language implicit of anti-black racism, condemned campus Black Lives Matter black demonstrators and yelled at them, his equating them as murderous ISIS terrorists for not participating in pro-Israel demonstrations & for refusing to politically defend Zionist Jews on campus.

In past years, he’s sometimes disrupted ASUC public meetings by talking on and on and on, or repeatedly raising his hands & demanding to be called on, past anyone’s public comment allowance. He’s falsely tried to pass himself off as a journalist & that he has the right to keep talking past anyone’s allotted public comment time. (Even though, he actually has no journalistic credentials, but it’s been discovered by some people that he’s only written a few passages in a few Israeli tour guides.)

Dan Spitzer is considered very erratic & unpredictable if he’s around you and he doesn’t like you. Serious precautions are advised when he’s around campus venues & public meetings.

• SMH

.

Uh-huh…:

Arafat (rabid Zionist): “I have been banned from many university sites…”

*Yyyep*…, that’s Dan Spitzer’s good buddy arch-Zionist friend!

.

• SMH

.

.

• Arafat

It seems some universities ban those who speak honestly about Islam.
            So much for freedom of speech when it comes to liberal universities.

• garyfouse

Fred,

Now you are quoting Mondoweiss? Really? You are now resorting to conspiracy theories and delusions.

You can bang away on that typewriter of yours all you want, but this is not even worth responding to.

Damn this job is easy.

• Aaron Aarons

Yes, the ‘job’ of responding to things that you don’t like by saying they’re “not even worth responding to” is easy.

• Fred Mrozek

The main purpose of tunnels is to obtain food and other supplies that are otherwise unobtainable in Gaza due to the stringent, punitive and sadistic Israeli blockade – which, in addition to Gazan’s being trapped behind barbed wire, makes Gaza the world’s largest open-air prison camp. When Jews were trapped in the Warsaw ghetto by similarly sadistic people, they TOO used tunnels for supplies and movement. By the way, one of those Jewish freedom fighters lent his moral authority to the PALESTINIANS before he passed away. Marek Edelman:

Vale Marek Edelman – anti-fascist, anti-Zionist, freedom fighter of the Warsaw Ghetto

Dear friends,
    many of you may have already read that Marek Edelman died last week. Edelman was one of the leaders of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising against the Nazis during World War II. He was a member of the Bund and an anti-Zionist, remaining one until his death last week. While Zionism tries to claim Edelman and his comrades to help further the Zionist cause and myth, Edelman and his comrades (as Tony Greenstein writes below)were “the living proof that Jews could fight anti-Semitism where they lived and didn’t have to escape to a state mirrored on the principles of their oppressors in someone else’s land in Palestine. Above all he [Edelman] excoriated the Jewish collaborators and traitors who the Zionists had seen fit to call ‘heroes’. He didn’t fit in with or conform to Zionism’s narrative of the Holocaust”.

In 2002, Edelman revealed he had not waived from his principle that one must stand against injustice and oppression, when he publicly sided with the Palestinian resistance, much to the outrage of the Zionist and Israeli leadership.

Edelman should be remembered for the man and hero he was – a freedom fighter, who never waived from his principles or beliefs and who stood against injustice, racism, occupation and oppression.

Below is Tony Greenstein’s obituary on Marek Edelman – anti-fascist, anti-Zionist, freedom fighter of the Warsaw Ghetto.

• Fred Mrozek

No Dan, the 2014 Gaza attack did not begin due to Hamas rockets. Here, in highly simplified terms, is how it began: (Via Wikipedia)

Beginning of the conflict

On the evening of 12 June 2014, three Israeli teenagers were kidnapped in the West Bank. Israeli leadership has placed the responsibility for their abduction on Hamas. On 30 June, corpses of the teenagers were found. Other commentators, such as Israeli historian, Ilan Pappe, and NBC reporter Ayman Mohyeldin, queried the abduction and murder of the Israeli Teenagers as being the real start of the chain of events leading to the major conflict. They saw parallels in the earlier killing of two Palestinian teenagers in the Beitunia killings. The autopsy report confirming that live IDF fire had been the cause of death of one of the Palestinian teenagers had become public knowledge the day before the kidnapping of the Israeli teenagers.

• garyfouse

Fred,

I know I said I was done with you, but when you bring up Miko Peled, I can’t resist. I encountered this misfit when he spoke a couple of years ago at UC Irvine. He is a hot-tempered bozo who hates the land of his birth. He also lost his temper when he saw me videotaping in the audience in spite of the “instructions” from the MSU that no videotaping was allowed. When he objected, I told him to keep talking and that I had a right to videotape and was not about to stop. At that point, the Dean of Students defended my right and Peled lost the battle.

You really need to find more credible people to quote.

• Fred Mrozek

Do you realize how you sound to someone reading? Not just you, but you and your fellow defenders of the indefensible? You sound like you believe your ad hominems count as replies. You sound like you approve of ethnic-cleansing, massacres, giant military assaults that destroyed 18,000 homes in the last go, and the mass-murder of civilians. Israel has gone bonkers. It was a giant mistake for the US to support it. The more successful hasbara is at defending it and silencing opposition the deeper the hole becomes which you will one day need to crawl out of.

• garyfouse

Fred,

If you are referring to Gaza, let me break it down for you. If you want to attack a country, be prepared for retaliation. Yes, innocent civilians will die, but Israel has gone to extraordinary lengths to try and limit those casualties while Hamas does everything they can to guarantee civilian deaths like literally fighting behind civilians.

Imagine if Cuba were launching missiles into Miami like Hamas does with Israel. What would the US do? (Yes, I know. Under Obama, he would send John Kerry to Havana to attend a baseball game.)

The bottom line is this: Try to destroy a country, be prepared for the consequences. Just ask the Germans.

• Fred Mrozek

First of all, 79% of the time, ceasefires are broken by ISRAEL. Here is the study:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nancy-kanwisher/reigniting-violence-how-d_b_155611.html

Secondly, well, I’ll quote from an article:

In this brief study, I examine the many numbers cited by the Israeli military relating to Gaza rocket attacks into Israel. To begin, Israeli spokespeople frequently remind the world that a million Israeli citizens are within range of Gaza rockets, twelve thousand of which have been fired into Israel in the last twelve years, inflicting thousands of injuries and several dead. However, we are rarely told exactly how many people have been killed by these rocket attacks. Counting the dead Below is a list of all the fatalities of rocket and mortar attacks fired from the Gaza Strip into Israel in the entire history of these attacks. Throughout the years of rocket attacks into Israel, a total of 26 people have been killed altogether. – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2012/11/dissecting-idf-propaganda-the-numbers-behind-the-rocket-attacks/#sthash.5RkAsYr4.dpuf

Third, Hamas rockets have NO GUIDANCE SYSTEMS and NO WARHEADS. So, when one lands, it makes a mark, not a crater, but a mark where the inert body of the rocket falls out of the sky. To react with to such a thing by killing a half dozen or two dozen people with a 1000 pound bomb that levels a city block is fully unjust during those 79% of occasions on which it is ISRAEL picking the fight and regardless, it is a WAR CRIME to retaliate with a disproportional response.

Israel is so desperate for justification for it’s violence that if ever the Palestinians could not longer be abused, provoked or manipulated into firing them, I’m pretty sure that Israeli’s disguised as Palestinians would sneak into the prison camp and launch them themselves.

This is golden here, Gary: “The bottom line is this: Try to destroy a country, be prepared for the consequences.” While Israel pretends to be a victim, and pretends to always be under the threat of destruction by someone else, THEY have been the ones destroying the homes, wells, orchards and lands of an innocent party ! It is ISRAEL that needs to deterred. It is Israel that needs to encounter someone to deliver some tough love. The civilized world WOULD do exactly this in the United Nations if it weren’t for the fact that the USA’s main role in the UN is to protect warmongering Israel from any UN action. A great source for this is William Blum’s book Rogue State.
          And that line about the IDF trying to prevent casualties is utter nonsense. They murder Palestinian civilians and children in cold blood, frequently, over and over and over. The only reason you get away with lying in your assertions is that our Zionist dominated media hides the truth from the TV viewing public.
          Another lie, or abject hypocrisy, that of Hamas fighting behind civilians. This is a whopper too. I have pictures of IDF soldiers firing while holding Palestinian children. We have detailed reports from IDF soldiers who admitted using the occupants of apartments as shields while killing civilians from those locations for merely being in places the soldiers arbitrarily deem fields of free fire.
          More broadly, Gaza has one of the highest population densities of any place on the planet. When Israel is shooting artillery, dropping bombs, and firing it’s own, very powerful and high-tech weapons into Gaza, there is NO PLACE FOR THEM TO HIDE. And when Israel claims that Hamas or any Palestinian trying to fight back against such criminal violence is hiding among civilians, it makes me cringe at the monstrous hypocrisy. People under an illegal military occupation have a right to resist. This is international law – which Israel pisses on daily. But it is a fact. Palestinians have a right to resist. And Israel’s presence in that land is illegal. It has no just, moral or legal basis. The land, virtually all of it besides the few percent that was actually owned by Jews before 1948, is stolen land.

• Arafat

The Palestinians are responsible. They are the
            aggressors and the latest acts of violence by Palestinians are just one more
            example of this.

They have no interest in living side-by-side
            with Jews although they may give this lip service every now and then but their
            true intentions, that of violent jihad against the Jewish infidel is evident.

The Palestinians, like Boko Haram, the Taliban,
            Hamas, Hezbollah are all from the same seed and your attempts to muddy the
            water, to pretend Hamas is some how different than ISIS is refuted both by
            Hamas’ actions and by their words too. They are all Islamists whose
            caliphate-building goal is obvious for anyone with eyes that see.

• Aaron Aarons

You are apparently ignorant of the fact that Palestinian resistance to the Jewish invasion and rule over Palestine was originally largely secular. In fact, the main leader of the most militant resistance group, the PFLP, was from a Christian family.

But the very fact that you lump the Palestinians (a people) together with a bunch of organizations (only one of which has Palestinian members!), and lump together organizations that are on opposite sides of major conflicts, particularly in neighboring Syria, shows that you are, regardless of your actual ethnic background, just a second-rate Zionist propagandist at the intellectual and moral level of a Ted Cruz or Donald Trump.

• Arafat

I have a hard time believing that people who willingly let terrorists strap suicide vests to their children care even one bit about “peace, freedom and justice”.

• SMH

.

Ad hominems — or, of course, trying to slur critics of Zionism/Israel as “anti-Semites” (or “self-hating Jews”) — is Zionist a way of telling others to stop thinking — and, of course, it’s the well-worn Zionists political, intellectual and moral *silencing* method — which, of course, was the entire Zionists’ *purpose* in trying to get the UC Board of Regents to equate anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism in the first place — to, especially, stop students from thinking — are, ultimately and finally, the Zionists *only* real reply.

.

• SMH

There are quite a number of excellent, journalistic, scholarly or autobiographical books written over the years by what became anti-Zionist Israeli Jews (some of whom have *quit* and left Israel, and some of whom actually once, now unproudly, served in the Israeli military).

One of those books is:

_”The General’s Son: Journey of an Israeli in Palestine”_

– by Miko Peled

— definitely a Jewish person of conscience.

.

• garyfouse

Anybody who speaks at a public event at a public university and tries to prevent anyone from videotaping his words is as I said a hot-tempered bozo and a misfit.

• Dan Spitzer

Gary, SMH (Joseph Anderson) hates Jews so much that he even excoriates fellow anti-Zionists Noam Chomsky and Norman Finklestein because of their Hebraic heritage. In fact, Anderson was kicked out of a talk given by Finklestein because he took exception to what Finklestein was trying to say. This led even members of the pro-Palestinian minion to express the notion that if Anderson was not mentally ill, surely he was acting in the employ of the Israeli “secret service.” Sorry to say that the reason for Anderson’s diatribes are the former–like all bigots he is certifiably sick.

These days, you have to go pretty far out there to find anyone who will fraternize with ole Joey. Other African Americans avoid him like the plague as they consider him an embarrassment. I usually know when he is posting, even under an alias such as SMH because I recognize his style and can even smell the flatulence of his bigotry from miles away…

• SMH

Dan Spitzer was once kicked off the UC Berkeley campus due to his physical harassment and misogynist, sexually obscene, crude name-calling against a group of anti-Zionist Jewish women students holding a vigil for the Israeli victims of Gaza during the last Israeli bombing of Gaza. He even knocked over a little Jewish girl there, causing her to scrape her hands, elbows and knees, when he was trying to knock a peace sign out of the hands of her mother right next to the little girl. Spitzer has been known for this pattern of behavior and is generally considered dangerously aggressive around women.

Dan Spitzer has also been known to stand outside of Ethnic Studies lecture halls and aggressively stick his video camera into the faces of any students of color, as they come out, whom he’s known of as having participated in any pro-Palestinian human rights demonstrations and vigils on campus.

Dan Spitzer has, in language implicit of anti-black racism, condemned campus Black Lives Matter black demonstrators and yelled at them, his equating them as murderous ISIS terrorists, for not participating in pro-Israel demonstrations and for refusing to politically defend Zionist Jews on campus.

When, in past years, he’s sometimes disrupted ASUC public meetings by talking on and on and on, or repeatedly raising his hands and demanding to be called on, past anyone’s public comment allowance, he’s falsely tried to pass himself off as a journalist and that he has the right to keep talking past anyone’s allotted public comment time (even though he actually has no journalistic credentials, but it’s been discovered by some people that he’s only written a few passages in a few Israeli tour guides).

Dan Spitzer is considered very erratic and unpredictable if he’s around you and he doesn’t like you. Serious precautions are advised when he’s around campus venues and public meetings.

• Fred Mrozek

Anyone who thinks ad hominem attacks on Tony Jud’t or Miko Peled carry any force, is infantile.

• Aaron Aarons

Sounds like the kind of lies that the ultra-racists from Chabad would regularly spread when I lived in Berkeley not very long ago.

• SeeThroughYou

Sure thing, Chabadniks are so racist they spend millions trying to get black Ethiopians Jews into Yeshiva.

You’re a solid gold idiot that makes all other idiots pale by comparison.

• Fred Mrozek

“As for the Goyim… Zalman’s attitude (was): “Gentile souls are of a completely different and inferior order. They are totally evil, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.”…If every simple cell in a Jewish body entails divinity, is a part of God, then every strand of DNA is a part of God. Therefore, something is special about Jewish DNA…” “…If a Jew needs a liver, can you take the liver of an innocent non-Jew passing by to save him? The Torah would probably permit that. Jewish life has an infinite value,” he explained. “There is something infinitely more holy and unique about Jewish life than non-Jewish life.”

— Chabad-Lubavitch Rabbi Yitzhak Ginsburgh in “Jewish Week,” the largest Jewish publication in the United States, April 26, 1996.

• Aaron Aarons

Racism doesn’t necessarily have to be directed at people because of their skin color. The Lubavitcher/Chabad people have a definition of ‘Jew’ that is based on ancestry and is extremely negative towards non-Jews, while being very persistent in trying to get atheists of Jewish ancestry to identify as ‘Jews’.

• SMH

SeeThroughYou: “Chabadniks are so racist they spend millions trying to get black Ethiopians Jews into Yeshiva.”

Those are among the Black/African Jews that European Jews rioted against in Israel and called the most vile *RACIST* names.

I’m sure there’s probably YouTube footage of this.

The relative/statistical handful of Black/African Jews in Israel don’t even really feel accepted in Israeli Jewish *society* — they feel and are *heavily* discriminated against — so the Chabadniks can start *there* — let alone in Israeli Yeshivas.

I met an Ethiopian Jew who once lived in Israel and he *HATED* and *LEFT* Israel.

.

• Aaron Aarons

My own comments about Chabad/Lubavitcher racism have been deleted. But the charge is not that they are racist against Blacks or against any group based on skin color, but against gentiles, a.k.a. ‘goyim’, in general, i.e., against 99.8% of the world’s population.

• Dan Spitzer

Because the Daily Cal reportage above is somewhat limited, please note that the resolution passed on intolerance includes the following;“opposition to Zionism often is expressed in ways that are not simply statements of disagreement over politics and policy, but also assertions of prejudice and intolerance towards Jewish people and culture.”

Further, it declares that, “harassment, threats” and “actions that interfere with the ability of an individual or group to assemble, speak and share or hear the opinions of others … will not be tolerated.”

This latter is key, especially in light of the numerous incidences over the years of anti-Israel activists shouting down pro-Israel and visiting Israeli speakers on campus.

The document encourages university leaders to “actively challenge anti-Semitism and other forms of discrimination,” and empowers them to “use all available tools, including restorative justice techniques, to
    address unlawful conduct.”

• Dan Spitzer

To my Zionist brethren and all Israel supporters: We have been graced by the presence on this site by Joseph Anderson, screen moniker SMH, Jew-Hater extraordinaire. Anderson is an African American avoided by other blacks as they intelligently recognize him as an embarrassment. Ditto some members of the anti-Zionist left.

The resolution approved by the regents links anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism with anti-Zionism. Most on the pro-Palestinian left deny this. But ole Joe Anderson makes our case for us. There’s no need to respond to him. Just let Joey rail on and on, providing evermore substance to the correlation between anti-Zionism and the hatred of Jews…

• ShadrachSmith

I offer a binary choice of moral frames for your consideration. Are Islam’s norms for treating kafir evil, or protected religious activism?

• SMH

RE: Spitzer: “Imagine if half the black people on earth lived in Nigeria and said country had a concept affirming the heritage of living in or being invited to live in that country. Let’s say that this concept was termed “Nigerianism.””

(1) Not even Nigeria *defines* itself as “a Black state”.

(And, now that South African political apartheid has fallen, South Africa no longer defines its national ideology as “a white Christian state” — *nor* subsequently as “a Black state”, even though there are at least 6 times as many Black people as white people in South Africa. South Africa defines itself as “a multi-racial state” of legal *equality* and democracy for *alll* with protection of minority rights! Not even China defines itself as *ideologically* “a Chinese state”. Nor does, for example, Scotland, Sweden, Germany or Italy, define themselves as *ideologically* “a Scottish/Swedish/German/Italian state”: these are all multicultural countries of whites, Blacks, Asians, Jews, and even Mideasterners.)

(2) Such a hypothetical ethnocentric (or nationally supremacist) “Nigerianism” *political* ideology, as a *political* ideology, or *any* kind of ideology, would *still* be potentially liable to the same kind of intellectual and moral interrogation, examination, analysis, comparisons with other (especially, past/present racial, and possibly racist, and nationalist) ideologies, debate, and, if analytically warranted, moral condemnation as any other *political* ideology potentially is.

The world’s Western world-class cities and countries have all become multi-racial and/or multi-ethnic and multicultural. People move to places like the Bay Area, or are *generally* proud to live here, because it’s multi-cultural (although rampant, roughshod, white capitalist gentrification is steadily, in San Francisco, Berkeley, and maybe Oakland, almost rapidly, eroding that). People celebrate multicultural festivals from San Francisco, to London, to Toronto, to Berlin, down to Capetown and across to Sydney, and global points up and down and beyond and in between.

Only Israel, as a Western Zionist Jewish-apartheid, settler-colonial, nation-state in the Mideast, demands a *MONO*-cultural, *MONO*-ethnic, *MONO*-political (Zionism), *MONO*-supremacist, and ultimately even a *MONO*-religious society. That’s moving racistly *backwards* and *narrower* in world human history.

.

• Dan Spitzer

Truly superb, Arafat. This is recommended reading in full for both those who oppose anti-Zionism and even those who are advocates for it, the latter simply so they will know with the sort of pretentious academic with whom they have chosen to partner and allow to speak on their behalf…

• Fred Mrozek

“…The charge that criticism of Israel is implicitly anti-Semitic — is regarded in Israel and the United States as Israel’s trump card. If it has been played more insistently and aggressively in recent years, that is because it is now the only card left. The habit of tarring any foreign criticism with the brush of anti-Semitism is deeply ingrained in Israeli political instincts: Ariel Sharon used it with characteristic excess but he was only the latest in a long line of Israeli leaders to exploit the claim. David Ben-Gurion and Golda Meir did no different. But Jews outside of Israel pay a high price for this tactic. Not only does it inhibit their own criticisms of Israel for fear of appearing to associate with bad company, but it encourages others to look upon Jews everywhere as de facto collaborators in Israel’s misbehavior. When Israel breaks international law in the occupied territories, when Israel publicly humiliates the subject populations whose land it has seized — but then responds to its critics with loud cries of “anti-Semitism” — it is in effect saying that these acts are not Israeli acts, they are Jewish acts: The occupation is not an Israeli occupation, it is a Jewish occupation, and if you don’t like these things it is because you don’t like Jews. In many parts of the world this is in danger of becoming a self-fulfilling assertion: Israel’s reckless behavior and insistent identification of all criticism with anti-Semitism is now the leading source of anti-Jewish sentiment in Western Europe and much of Asia…”
      excerpted from the article”The Country that Wouldn’t Grow Up”
      by Tony Judt
      Ha’aretz, http://www.haaretz.com, 5/5/06

• Dan Spitzer

For those of you who don’t know the screed of the late Tony Judt whose scribblings Mrozek has cited, Judt’s comments on Israel would today be seen as akin to Donald Trump’s castigating of Muslims and Latinos. ‘Nuff said…

• Fred Mrozek

Here is why the hasbarists don’t like Tony:

“The historian’s task is not to disrupt for the sake of it, but it is to tell what is almost always an uncomfortable story and explain why the discomfort is part of the truth we need to live well and live properly,” he told Historically Speaking. “A well-organized society is one in which we know the truth about ourselves collectively, not one in which we tell pleasant lies about ourselves.”

–Tony Judt

Characterizing Tony Jud’t as “well known as a vicious hater of Israel along the lines of David Duke, Noam Chomsky, and Hate’m Bazian.” is a perfect indicator of Dan’s credibility and honesty. :)

• SMH

.

Yeah, because we all ‘know’ that post-middle-aged, pot-bellied, *non*-student, but *hardcore* rabid arch-Zionist campus *gadfly* at UC Berkeley, and harasser of anti-Zionist, especially, Jewish/Palestinian *women* students & demonstrators on campus, and occasional Israel tour guides passages ‘writer’ _Dan Spitzer_ has a ‘*LOT*’ more community & international respect & credibility — **NOT** — than the very prominent, critically acclaimed, multi-award-winning, Cambridge educated, author/editor of at *least* 15 (or more) scholarly books & virtually countless articles, anti-Zionist Jewish British and NYU university professor and Fellow of the British Academy, _*and*_ Fellow of The American Academy of Arts and Sciences *TONY JUDT*!

.

• Arafat

Page 2.

It is almost impossible to read a sentence by Butler without reacting with a loud “Huh?” So much of it sounds like a parody of an academic being concocted by “The Onion” or “National Lampoon.” In 1998 she won first-prize in the Bad Writing Contest sponsored by the academic journal Philosophy and Literature. She won for this sentence:

“The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.”

So much of what Butler writes is so mindless and filled with so many grammatical flaws that one wonders how her text survives a word processing program. Butler’s take on the 9-11 attacks on America was that “the violent acts of 9/11 is (sic) exacerbated by the inability of Americans to recognize the precariousness of non-American (particularly Muslim) lives. They are always already dead, and therefore cannot be killed.” Huh? She insists thatthe West is guilty of this: “These excluded are brutally subjected to the “violence of derealization.” Huh? She “claims that the War on Terror has provided a climate where the sexual freedoms she and others fought for are now misused to symbolize (sic) the shining, gleaming modernity of the West. The backwardness and inferiority of ‘others’ is counterposed (sic) and underscored against this.” Huh?

In an interview she explains how her feminism differs from that of some of the others, like Catharine MacKinnon or Andrea Dworkin: “I’m not always calling into question who’s a man and who’s not, and am I a man? Maybe I’m a man [laughs].” She is not one of those folks in favor of homosexual marriage, by the way. In fact she isopposed to marriage: “It’s very hard to speak freely right now, but many gay people are uncomfortable with all this, because they feel their sense of an alternative movement is dying. Sexual politics was supposed to be about finding alternatives to marriage.”

Butler was one of the noisiest people denouncing the Campus-Watch website for daring to criticize anti-Israel radical Middle East Studies faculty members. Naturally, Butler thinks that critics of anti-Israel radicals are not entitled to freedom of speech and that their criticism is “McCarthyism.”

While she likes to beat on her drum about supposedly growing up in a Jewish home, there is no evidence that she knows the slightest thing about Judaism. She claims her “Jewish values” are what drive her to embrace Palestinian anti-Semites and barbarians. Here she sums up her own knowledge of Judaism: “As a Jew, I was taught that it was ethically imperative to speak up and to speak out against arbitrary state violence.” There is no such Jewish ethical imperative. She clarifies: “There were those who would and could speak out against state racism and state violence, and it was imperative that we be able to speak out. Not just for Jews, but for any number of people.” Needless to say, the only “state violence” she feels obliged to denounce is that supposedly practiced by Israel when it defends its civilians. She is not exactly outspoken when it comes to the state violence practiced by Iran or Syria.

As part of Butler’s campaign on behalf of Palestinian terrorism, she likes to wave about the fact that she herself grew up as a “Reform” Jew. There are very few things wrong with the world that she does not attribute to the unforgivable desire by Jews for self-determination. Her attitude towards the Jewish homeland was summed upby her thus: “The argument that all Jews have a heartfelt investment in the state of Israel is untrue. Some have a heartfelt investment in corned beef sandwiches.”

When it comes to academic streetwalking on behalf of anti-Semitism and Palestinian violence, that old adage is true: the Butler did it.

• garyfouse

Alan,

You are mistaken about who gets assaulted more. FBI crime statistics clearly show that when it comes to religious hate crimes, Jews are by far the biggest victims. With few exceptions, Americans have shown great restraint in not punishing innocent Muslims for the crimes of the jihadists.

• Fred Mrozek

For many years during and after the invasion of Iraq, about 70% of the US public were led to believe Iraq had something to do with 9/11. Perhaps no justification for a US war was ever a bigger, more willful lie. Yet not only Americans generally but our soldiers went and destroyed a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. We destroyed civilian infrastructure, killed hundreds of thousands of people, made tens of thousands of orphans, fired Saddam’s armies many of whom then went and formed the nucleus of ISIS, and committed unspeakable atrocities that to this day the public is largely unaware of. According to Seymour Hersh, US soldiers videotaped themselves raping captive children in front of their mothers and raping the mothers too. And presumably, all because someone lied to them about Iraqi responsibility for 9/11. This, I’d submit Gary, is anything BUT “great restraint.”

• garyfouse

Fred,

My comment about Americans showing great restraint was in regards to not punishing innocent Muslims for the crimes of the jihadists. I was referring to American Muslims. The context of the discussion makes it quite clear what I was referring to. Nevertheless you proceed to pull Iraq out of a hat.

You really need to quote more credible journalists than agenda-driven people like Seymour Hersh. As for this story about American soldiers videotaping themselves raping mothers and children, this is the first time I have heard of this. You might remember that unlike our enemies, we have a system of justice to deal with things like this. In fact, several US soldiers have been prosecuted for misdeeds in Iraq.

At any rate, this discussion has nothing to do with Iraq. Why don’t you stay on topic? As for me, I will stand by my comment that Americans have shown great restraint towards Muslims. If you can’t grasp what I was referring to, that’s your problem.

• Fred Mrozek

Why is it an act of restraint to not punish an innocent person? You sound as if there is such a right and that a population of bigoted people are exercising a wholesome restraint when they don’t. And Jihadi, what does that mean to you? Do people who oppose our “signature kills” of innocent men, women, children, grandparents and attendees of large weddings qualify? People who carry guns in their own countries? And does you definition of Jihadi stipulate that one is never given that title unless or until he has been convicted by some due process of law? If your definition of Jihadi does not include such a qualification, then your term more or less means you have convicted them before they’ve done anything and arrived at the opinion that since they are automatically guilty, we can punish them if we feel like it. Like this guy: http://www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/?p=8694

• garyfouse

If you prefer another word rather than restraint, fill in the blank-tolerance. for example. Whatever works for you.

And I really don’t care to engage you in irrelevant arguments about my definition of jihadi.

I’m done with you.

• Fred Mrozek

I think Seymour Hersh may have carried water for the US deep-state when he wrote Camelot. The idea may have been that once we all know he had a pretty extreme and reckless sex-life, we will all feel less loathing for the CIA and DOD folks who blew his head apart one afternoon in order to reverse his NSAM’s regarding Vietnam within a matter of mere days. But aside from that suspicion, which is based on pretty much nothing, I definitely see no agenda in his writings about our behavior in Iraq. Afterall, there are video tapes and I have watched some of them. So, can you explain how his agenda caused the videotapes to appear? While on the subject, how about the Libyan ratlines running arms from Libya to Syrian rebels after the US assisted murder of Gadaffi? Should Muslims in Iraq, Libya and Syria marvel at our restraint in our treatment of those countries?

• garyfouse

So now we are talking about the JFK assassination? What’s next-who fixed the 1919 World Series? And if you want to throw in Libyan arms and the toppling of Khaddafi, take it up with Hillary Clinton. Her email address is [email protected].

Good grief!

• SMH

Fred Mrozek: “For many years during and after the invasion of Iraq, about 70% of the US public were led to believe Iraq had something to do with 9/11.”

And who do you think, to the U.S. & UK, were the major/key “intelligence” pushers of those lies?

Yep…, the, ahem, *Israelies* & their Zionist neocons in Washington.

.

• garyfouse

SeeThroughYou

If you can supply some specific info on that I will be happy to write it up on my blog (for what it’s worth). My site is fousesquawk (http://garyfouse.blogspot.com. I would also pass it on to my friends at the AMCHA Initiative.

• SeeThroughYou

My account is anecdotal based on a panicked conversation with my cousin who was attending as a freshman in 2006. He was homesick and I told him to go to Hillel to find some other Jewish kids to do shabbat with and of course he ends up walking there when there was a pack of these Jew bashing idiots out there holding signs and screaming epithets less than 100 feet from Hillel (totally on purpose). Needless to say my aunt pulled him out and got him into a school back east and the rest is history.

• Arafat

A detailed analysis of FBI statistics covering ten full calendar years since the 9/11 terrorist attacks reveals that, on a per capita basis, American Muslims, contrary to spin, have been subjected to hate crimes less often than other prominent minorities. From 2002 to 2011, Muslims are estimated to have suffered hate crimes at a frequency of 6.0 incidents per 100,000 per year – 10 percent lower than blacks (6.7), 48 percent lower than homosexuals and bisexuals (11.5), and 59 percent lower than Jews (14.8). Americans should keep these numbers in mind whenever Islamists attempt to silence critics by invoking Muslim victimhood.

No class of hate crimes has seen more fluctuation than anti-Muslim ones. The norm was a few dozen incidents per year in the late 1990s, but the number jumped from 28 in 2000 to 481 in 2001, a spike attributed to post-9/11 backlash. However, it dropped to 155 in 2002 and held remarkably steady through 2006, before falling again to 115 in 2007, 105 in 2008, and 107 in 2009.

As hinted above, the dark portrait of America as a nation of violent bigots uniquely hostile to Muslims does not withstand quantitative scrutiny. To smooth out year-to-year variations, consider the past decade (2002–11) of FBI-recorded hate crimes. There were 1,388 incidents against Muslims during this span, compared with 25,130 against blacks; 12,030 against homosexuals and bisexuals; 9,198 against Jews; and 5,057 against Hispanics. Even majority whites endured 7,185 incidents, while Christians (Protestants and Catholics combined) were targeted in 1,126 incidents.

• SMH

Arafat: “A detailed analysis of FBI statistics covering ten full calendar years since the 9/11 terrorist attacks reveals that, on a per capita basis, American Muslims, contrary to spin, have been subjected to hate crimes less often than other prominent minorities.”

Interesting…: no FBI URL documentation provided.

Just an undocumented claim — and some “numbers” we don’t know from *exactly* where and what *specific* documents.

Not even the exact name/title of the purported documentary source.

This claim doesn’t even meet the standards of a freshman term paper.

• Arafat

Religious bias

Of the 1,223 victims of anti-religious hate crimes:

60.3 percent were victims of crimes motivated by their offenders’ anti-Jewish bias.

13.7 percent were victims of anti-Islamic (Muslim) bias.

6.1 percent were victims of anti-Catholic bias.

4.3 percent were victims of bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).

3.8 percent were victims of anti-Protestant bias.

0.6 percent were victims of anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.

11.2 percent were victims of bias against other religions (anti-other religion). (Based on Table 1.)

• SMH

1st: Of course ZIONIST RACISTS who declared that Palestine was, “a land without a people”, can, as another *anti*-Zionist, anti-racist, Jewish author & activist, Tim Wise, said, not be counted on to tell the truth at all — or, as another ruse, to tell the untwisted truth.

2nd: Zionist Arafat *originally* asserted a *10* year period — but the URL over covers *1* year: 2013.

Zionist Arafat thinks that just because he’s ‘forced’ to throw down a URL, that in itself is supposed to prove anything. He thinks that no one will actually go *look* at & *analyze* it.

But, *3rd*…: I’m — HA-HA-HA — _LAUGHING MY A*S OFF_ if any Zionist thinks that anyone in the *U.S.* — with all the leading Republicans leading the demagogic anti-Muslim rhetoric — believes that *60.3%* of hate crimes — religious or ethnic — IN THE U.S. are against *Jews*!: for *decades* the most sociopolitically powerful minority in the U.S. & the history of the Western world!

The same Zionist *nonsense* that said that Jewish students — in a city — **Berkeley** — that’s *25% Jewish* — can’t walk across Sproul Plaza — on a *university* campus with no scarcity of Jewish faculty & administrators — without being _in mortal fear of their very lives_ and predicted a Jewish *holocaust* — in the San Francisco *Bay Area* — back in the 1990’s!!

Just because Zionists & their ADL & AIPAC propaganda *MACHINES* think they can use their *GINNED-UP* “RATES” of “hate crimes” against Jews — equating any remarks, criticism, writing, poster, protest and demonstration against Zionism with “anti-Semitism” — doesn’t mean that I and anyone with any common sense will buy it.

• Arafat

Fortunately millions of non-Muslims are being forced by world events to wake up to how truly dangerous Islam is. We ex-Muslims know that Mohammedanism must go the way of the dinosaur or the planet will drown in the blood of sharia as Muslims enforce the laws of Islam.

• Arafat
  • Arafat

Are Muslims in need of greater protection? According to the FBI’s 2014 Hate Crime Statistics, there were 1,140 victims of anti-religious hate crimes in the U.S. that year: Of those, 56.8% were victims of crimes motivated by the offenders’ anti-Jewish bias. 16.1% were victims of crimes motivated by the offenders’ anti-Muslim bias.

• Dan Spitzer

Arafat, look below and you will see that our old Jew hating Joseph Anderson has returned, posting as SMH. I could immediately tell it was Anderson both by his writing “style” oriented to flaunting his ego as well as that tell tale odor, a stench of bigotry which I long have recognized as emanating from him. This is a hater who loathes Jews so much that he even condemns Noam Chomsky and Norman Finklestein…

• Arafat

So….He is a Max Blumenthal type, eh?

++

“The Norwegians had their Quislings, and the Jews now have their Max Blumenthal.
        Blumenthal, a fringe gonzo journalist, Goebbels-like propagandist and BDS
        activist, who once worked for a pro-Hezbollah daily, represents today’s new
        face of anti-Semitism and is arguably one of the most reprehensible figures of
        the radical left.

Blumenthal
        routinely spews forth the anti-Semitic canard that compares Israelis to Nazis,
        referring to them as “Judeo-Nazis.” Recently, he compared the Jewish State to
        ISIS calling it “JSIL” – or the “Jewish State of Israel and the Levant.” Blumenthal’s
        views are so extreme that he is often cited approvingly by neo-Nazi groups
        as well as depraved murderers.

His
        vitriol and depravity know no bounds and earned him a spot in the Simon
        Wiesenthal Top 10
        list of anti-Semitic, anti-Israel slurs, placing him in the company of such
        lovely bottom feeders as Iran’s “Supreme Leader,” Ayatollah Khamenei and
        Turkey’s grand Islamic narcissist, Recip Erdogan.”

• Dan Spitzer

Well, Joseph Anderson differs in that he is an African American who hates Jews so much that he even viciously castigates fellow anti-Zionists Noam Chomsky and Norman Finklestein, basically because of their Hebraic heritage.
          Unfortunately, while the reasons are complex, of all US ethnic grouplngs, African Americans are found by the most respected polls to have the highest incidence of anti-Semitic perspectives In the order of one out of three blacks were found to disparage Jews in general. Given that most of the whites I knew who were active in the Civil Rights Movement were Jews, this is a rather disturbing “thank you” to us for putting our lives on the line.
          I guess it’s a sad reflection on human behavior that ethnic groups so frequently condemn people who differ–especially when said ethnic group/race doing the attacking tends to refrain from introspection and self-criticism. The Jews are an easy target for them to castigate because Jews tend to be both successful and “different.” Exemplary is President Obama’s most venerated and influential preacher, the Reverend Wright, a notorious anti-Semite.
          As for Max Blumenthal, he is hardly the first individual (in this case Jew) from his own background to show a loathing of his own people. Infinitely more disturbing is his father Sid given that Hillary Clinton is likely to be elected president and Sid Blumenthal has over the years been one of Hillary’s closest advisers. While Sid isn’t as clearcut in showing a hatred for Israel to the extreme degree as his son Max, in the e-mail exchanges Sid had with Hillary which were recently revealed to the public, Sid’s castigation of the Jewish State were seconded by Hillary in her responses to him. This even included an e-mail in which Sid advised support for a demonstration vs Israel and Hillary’s response was to endorse Sid’s suggestion…

• Arafat

I agree that blacks attitudes towards Jews are offensive. That said blacks thinking on most interracial issues is stupid, IMO.
            It’s interesting to note, at least for me it is, how similar blacks and Muslims are in so many ways, with the most pronounced example being how both groups always see themselves as victims. It’s never their fault, it’s always someone’s fault other than their own.

• SMH

.

I thought it was Zionist/conservative *Jews* who always explicitly & specfically called *themselves*, “THE ETERNAL VICTIM”!!

Zionists pretext the state of Israel on the entire Zionist fundamental claim — “You just *wait* & *see*!” — that, in particular, white Gentiles will *”ALWAYS”*, *”inveterately”*, almost *genetically*, and, indeed, *”eternally”* be deeply &, if not overtly, then *”secretly”*, anti-Semitic — that certainly is a form of *anti-white-Gentile* RACISM.

That Zionist claim, even as white Gentiles & white Jews socialize, enthusiastically roommate together, date, live together, marry and even procreate together — there’s almost not enough Jews to go around for so many white Gentiles’ love and marriage interests — at a rate *much* higher than with *any* people of color.

All that, while Jewish women who marry Black/Brown men are often looked-down-on and discriminated against not only by many other *Jews*, but by even those Jews’ own *family* members — even when those Black/Brown men are not only well-spoken, highly-paid, university-educated professionals, but even *rrrich*!!

.

• Arafat

SMH, Get thee to a psychiatrist…

The words of historian and author Serge Trifkovic describe
            Islam perfectly:

“Islam is a collective psychosis seeking to become global, and any attempt to
            compromise with such madness is to become part of the madness itself. ”

• Dan Spitzer

Arafat, Joseph Anderson (aka SMH) has for years been living on SSI handouts. He’s quiet for a spell and then erupts as you currently see on this topic–perhaps when he’s gone off his meds. I’m uncertain as to whether not he has ever held a real job. Even stalwarts of the pro-Palestinian minion such as Barbara Lubin find Anderson to be an embarrassment as his anti-Semitism is so obvious.
            Indeed, Anderson is illustrative of the correlation between the anti-Zionist and anti-Semite. I don’t respond to his verbally amoebic ranting as I know that people like Anderson and Mr. Mzorek make our case for us and show conclusively the rationale behind the Regents’ resolution.
            These guys are a case study on the illness inherent in those who shill for the SJP/JVP minion and the more they spew their psychotic wrath, the more crystalline the ethnocentrism/racism behind the so-called Palestinian “cause” becomes as they help make it evident that the very root of it is Jew-hatred…

• Arafat

Dan,
            Thank you for the background history on SMH’s mental illness.
            As you suggest deranged people like SMH do help us make our case and I hope to use him to do so.

• Dan Spitzer

Arafat, as I said, Joseph Anderson loathes Jews so much (other than self-haters like Lenni Brenner and the laughable quasi-historian Pappe, both of whom he likes to quote) that he excoriates even anti-Zionist Jews such as Noam Chomsky and Norman Finklestein (you can see this in one of his scribbles today). In fact, he was kicked out of a talk by Finklestein (!) leading Israel-hater Barbara Lubin to speculate that Anderson might be under the employ of an Israeli agency.
            Anderson is quite out there mentally and you will never see him with other African Americans as they find his company an embarrassment. The good news is that he will always provide enough inane verbiage to lend sustenance to the reality that anti-Zionism is all too often commensurate with anti-Semitism. Mrozek and Arons are perfect company Anderson’s rants and it reaches a point where I find it best not to engage with them and to simply let them demonstrate that all too many members of the pro-Palestinian minion are also anti-Semites…

• Arafat

We should flag his posts, no?

• Dan Spitzer

Feel free to do so if you like. I personally don’t, as I believe they lend sustenance to the correct notion that those who espouse an anti-Zionist perspective are themselves anti-Semites. Unfortunately, many students at UCB are so filled with propaganda emanating from the Near East Studies Department and Hate’m Bazian in particular that they might somehow find a measure or credibility in the idiocies of posts by Anderson and Fred Mzorek. So I’ve been tempted to follow Anderson’s posts and those fictions stemming from Mzorek as simply “anti-Semitic screed” and leave it at that, so long as the likes of Anderson and Mzorek are first identified as certified and certifiable (!) members of the pro-Palestinian minion…

• SMH

• SMH

• SMH

Arafat (the Zionist): “Islam is a collective psychosis seeking to become global, and any attempt to compromise with such madness is to become part of the madness itself.”

*THIS*, just above, is the kind of HATE SPEECH that anyone — especially Zionist Jews — can ALWAYS get away with in Euro-Western mainstream media, including student newspaper, comment posts and on the UC Berkeley and other American and Euro-Western campuses.

• Arafat

SMH,

Are you a Muslim?

+++

It’s barely possible to even begin to constructively
            engage in criticism with Muslims about Islam. They will claim to take offence
            right from the start of nearly every effort. Or worse. They are simply
            unwilling and unable to engage in forthright, critical discussion and debate,
            of the example and teachings set by the person whom they regard as the
            paramount prophet, of Islam’s laws or morals or truth claims. Why? Because they
            know their position is indefensible. Their morals and laws are essentially
            alien and antagonistic to those of any western, or any open, liberal,
            democratic pluralistic society and their position withers in the face of
            robust, evidence based argument. Furthermore, it is simply impermissible to
            engage in any such real debate in Islam. Islam means submission.

• Dan Spitzer

If you didn’t see me amend my comments about Anderson and Mzorek above, it is indeed time to flag their overtly bigoted posts and to ask the Daily Cal’s editors to maintain their own by-lines considering personal attacks and what is permitted on this site…

• Dan Spitzer

Sadly, it’s cost blacks the best ally they ever had in the fight for Civil Rights…

• SMH

.

Black people *don’t need* — and **DON’T WANT** — so-called ‘friends’ like you, Dan Spitzer.

.

• Alan Acacia

Thank you, Arafat, for your correction. Your comment sent me to research. You’re right: Jews are disproportionately targeted in anti-religious hate crimes.
      This is true even when you take the different group sizes into consideration. A report by the Pew Research Center (2016) estimates that there are currently 3.3 million Muslim-Americans and 5.7 million Jewish-Americans. For every 100 Muslim-Americans there are 173 Jewish-Americans. So, per-capita 57% of all religious hate crimes target Jews,and 28% target Muslims. Hate crimes against Muslims are growing faster than any other group; yet at the end of the day there is far more violence against Jews.
      Thank you once again Arafat for your polite education on this topic! I hope to be lucky enough to get similar responses to my other questions.

• Fred Mrozek

During the 2014 Gaza pogrom, Israeli forces acting in accord with some doctrine named after Hannibal, shelled a section of Gaza killing dozens of innocent people in order to kill their OWN SOLDIER, Hadar Goldin, in order to deny Hamas a live hostage. This in spite of the fact that other previous captives were treated well and commented to that effect upon release. Shortly after that incident happened CNN spent a hefty percentage of every hour showing a picture of smiling, photogenic Hadar while reporting his status as missing in action or possibly taken captive. And as I was near a TV that afternoon, Hadar appeared over and over and over – his face and humanity burned into the consciences of viewers. Had I known nothing else of what was going on, or had I only known what CNN was airing, I’d have become sympathetic to Israel and angry at Hamas. The issue of discrimination thus involves MORE than FBI statistics discussed in this thread. It involves the issue of how news in the US is so heavily filtered that the willful execution of Hadar Goldin by Israeli forces somehow escape being reported at all, or reported enough to give viewers any chance of sensing the degree of violence, the lack of justification, or the identity of the party truly responsible for this soldiers death. And, for that matter, why didn’t CNN show the faces of the victims of Israel’s depravity. Surely many of them just as photogenic as poor Hadar, and twice as righteous since they were not the ones attacking anyone.

• Dan Spitzer

There’s little else to say other than this is yet another unmitigated falsehood by Mr. Mrozek. Apparently, his hatred for Israel piques his imagination, enabling him to promulgate fiction and his posts should be read as such…

• Fred Mrozek

130 Palestinians murdered, along with their Hadar Goldin, their own soldier. http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.608715

• Dan Spitzer

Yes, to the IDF’s ever lasting credit, they go to great lengths (like our Marines) and risk their own lives to save one of their own. And yes, the Palestinian losses alleged on this occasion–the number comes from whom, Fred? Someone you failed to mention–the Palestinian’s themselves!!!

Let’s simply say you couldn’t have found a more dubious source. ‘Course ole Fred neglected to say from whom the alleged numbers came, a small oversight the likes of which we typically get from the pro-Palestinian minion.

BTW Fred, you still have failed to respond to my questions on your opinion concerning the Palestinians’ second class treatment of women, the honor murder killings of teenage Palestinan girls by their father or brothers, the brutalization by Palestinians of gays, the Palestinians’ imprisonment or killing of dissidents.

And oh yes, Fred has yet to weigh in on the call for the worldwide genocide of Jews by the Palestinian peoples’ favorite political party, Hamas…

• Fred Mrozek

Nice try there, Dan. You try to transform the deliberate murder of an IDF soldier, by the IDF, into an attempt to rescue him. That is quite a mind screw. Do you do that to your friends or only on discussion threads?

• Fred Mrozek

Trying to compare the deeds of our marines to the IDF is also an attempt to sponge US patriotism off of US soldiers and get it to splash onto the IDF murderers of innocent Palestinians. That won’t work either, because again, they don’t often attempt to murder their own. And I’ve never heard of a US Marine Corps equivalent of the Hannibal Doctrine.

• Fred Mrozek

No international source has placed the slightest suspicion on Palestinian body counts. And after trying to turn an IDF murder of an IDF soldier into a rescue attempt you want me and anyone else reading to doubt the Palestinian’s ability to count their own dead? What next, your going to suggest I depend on an Israeli source? Why would anyone think an Israeli source is any better when it was Israel attacking and slaughtering a civilian population with weapons befitting a super-power conflict?

• Dan Spitzer

Still no response from Mr. Mrozek on the Palestinian second class treatment of women, the rife honor murder of Palestinian teenage girls, the brutalization of gays, and the violent suppression of dissidents. And, of course, no rejoinder from Mr. Mrozek on the people he champions favorite political party, Hamas, and their call for worldwide Jewish genocide. Since Freddy is silent on all the above, one wonders if he supports these odious practices and beliefs. He certainly is an advocate of the people who do.
            And no reason to respond to Mr. Mrozek’s most dubious of sources, the Mintpress and Palestinian terrorists leaders themselves.
            Oh yes, Fred, since Joseph Anderson on this very site has without question demonstrated that anti-Zionism can be congruent with anti-Semitism, do you therefore understand why the UC Regents found it necessary to pass their most pertinent and timely resolution? It couldn’t be clearer than the evidence we have right here in front of you…

• SMH

Spitzer: “Still no response from Mr. Mrozek on the Palestinian second class treatment of women”

This in a state — Israel — where Israeli JEWISH women can’t get a divorce WITHOUT THEIR JEWISH HUSBAND’S *PERMISSION*! And, where Israeli JEWISH gays/lesbians, if they’re not in Tel Aviv (considered, by far, Israel’s most liberal city if you’re Jewish), are regularly verbally (especially) &/or physically attacked by Jewish religious fundamentalists, Orthodox & other Jewish religious conservatives.

.

• Fred Mrozek

I know enough about Jewish and Israeli tendencies to child abuse, organ harvesting, sterilization of minorities, contempt for gentiles, contempt for women and Talmudic approvals of every type of crime and perversion against gentiles to make you regret you brought up the subject of alleged “second-class-treatment” of anyone by Palestinians. Besides, an honor killing is right on par with the murder of Jews, by Jews which Israel has done pretty often as the need arises – such as the sale of 800,000 Hungarian Jews to the Nazi’s in exchange for the richest 600 Jews. THAT, Dan, is a pretty dishonorable thing, wouldn’t you say? (The facts in this case, established in and flowing from a trial in an Israeli court room.)

• Dan Spitzer

Mr. Mrozek, I’ll not flag you. And I request that nobody else does. Nor should anyone respond to this overt hater. Let Mrozek’s post above demonstrate clearly that anti-Zionists can be clearly and definitively anti-Semitic.
            Mr. Mrozek, you have demonstrated conclusively why the regent’s resolution is so sorely needed. Thank you for embarrassing yourself and your dubious “cause.”

• Fred Mrozek

Facts have an anti-Semitic bias then, Dan? Is that it? Do you feel the need for a law, or police action to protect your propaganda?

• Dan Spitzer

In retrospect, there should be standards and given that the Daily Cal has them pertaining to what is posted on this site, I request that the paper’s editor exercise them vis-a-vis the overtly bigoted comments by Fred Mrozek and Josehph Anderson on this thread…

• Fred Mrozek

Hamas was partly a creation of Israel. There used to be many Youtube videos and links of Israeli’s admitting as much. The idea was that a religious organization would weaken the secular PLO. So if Israel doesn’t like Hamas, it shouldn’t have helped it come into being. (Given that Israel plays such games, one wonders how many other groups within Palestine and other surrounding countries are also run by, or influenced by, Israel. One wonders about that former Mossad agent who said that Israel ran the cell that hijacked the Achille Lauro. The King David Hotel and the Lavon Affair also come to mind. …And a book titled Ben Gurion’s Scandals…. My oh my, how it is possible to digress.) Regarding a worldwide genocide of Jews, if any Hamas member ever wrote such a thing, one can’t really blame him after what Israel did to him. It might of been his way of saying “Never Forget.” And for the record, the largest known genocides in human history both had HUGE contributions by Jews. Those being the trans-Atlantic slave trade and the Bolshevik Revolution. Jews were principles in the ships and slave-selling networks here in the New World and that is according to books written and published by Jews. And most of the Bolsheviks were Jews so, if anyone deserves to carry a stigma or collective guilt, guess who deserves more per capita than just about anyone?

• Dan Spitzer

Wow! A neo-Nazi comes out of the closet. Didn’t you forget your Seig Heil?

• Fred Mrozek

Rockets, Dan, Rockets ! I think you’ll enjoy this.

Rocket fatalities are more likely to happen during major Israel “anti-rocket” operations. Note that I say that fatalities are more likely to happen, rather than fatalities increase. Because fatalities are so rare, when they do happen in a burst, they appear more as instigations rather than incidental progressions.
            This disputes the clichéd notion that rocket attacks are “designed to maximize civilian casualties.” Indeed, with such a low fatality rate and with the characteristic imprecision of the weapons, they cannot be expected to inflict a fatality most of the time.
            At the same time, armed groups in Gaza are capable of increasing the likelihood of fatalities when prompted.
            A verrry slow genocide If we borrow the IDF’s claim that more than 12,000 rockets have been fired into Israel in the last twelve years (which I dispute later), we get a kill rate of less than 0.217%. Thus in order to secure a single kill, we should expect to fire about 500 rockets. However, if the goal is to specifically kill Jews rather than foreign workers and Palestinian laborers, then it gets harder. Only 21 Jews have been killed by this method, bringing the kill rate down to 0.175%.
            If this sounds disturbing or even anti-Semitic, note that I am just testing the argument of the current Israeli ambassador Michael Oren, who, during Operation Cast Lead, co-wrote an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal claiming that the Gaza rockets and mortars were “more than a crude attempt to kill and terrorize civilians—they were expressions of a genocidal intent.”
            Yet the statistics demonstrate that it is much less than a “crude attempt to kill.” One can imagine easier ways to kill a random person than to manufacture and fire 500+ homemade rockets.
            As for genocide, at the going kill rate, it would require 4,477,714,286 rockets and mortars, and 4,477,714 years to kill all the Jews in Israel. This is assuming that Israel’s Jewish population does not increase. And of course we would need to factor in the limited range of the projectiles, which would require Israel’s non-growing Jewish population to all congregate in the western Negev by the year 4479726 CE, give or take a few years.
            But by then, all of Israel’s Jewish population will have already been exterminated by the country’s other violent killer, automotive accidents.
            It makes more sense, then, to suppose that there are political rationales for the firing of rockets and mortars.
            – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2012/11/dissecting-idf-propaganda-the-numbers-behind-the-rocket-attacks/#sthash.5RkAsYr4.dpuf

• Fred Mrozek
          • Aaron Aarons

The Bolsheviks did not carry out any ‘genocide’. The people they killed outside of combat situations were their political enemies, largely from the upper class, particularly the landowning class. They certainly didn’t try to wipe out any national or ethnic group.

• SMH

Oh, *come on*, Fred Mrozek…: Ha’aretz Israeli newspaper, that *anti-Semitic* rrrag _is not *nearly* right-wing enough_ for Dan Spitzer…: i.e., Ha’aretz *not* even considered a decent *hard-core* *ultra-right-wing* newspaper in Israel.

So, Fred, give Spitzer a break!!…

As Spitzer would, and did, say: “That’s what I like about members of the pro-Palestinian minion such as Mr. Mrozek. When they themselves are lacking in an ability to make something up rapping Israel, they find the most dubious sources possible…”

P.S. Fred, don’t you understand that at least the Israeli/Ha’aretz article pointed out that the Israeli military deemed it might have to *kill* its own soldier, even with the cost of killing dozens of innocent Palestinians in the area, in order to *save* him and deny Hamas a live and tradable hostage. Israel cain’t get *sentimental* about saving their soldiers — especially when there’s *dozens* of good Palestinian civilians, maybe *dozens* of good Palestinian women and children too, around him to kill.

.

• Fred Mrozek
          • Dan Spitzer

Now there’s an authoritative source: “Mint Press News.” Don’t you have any source more accurate such as reportage from Louis Farrakhan or David Duke’s publications?

That’s what I like about members of the pro-Palestinian minion such as Mr. Mrozek. When they themselves are lacking in an ability to make something up rapping Israel, they find the most dubious sources possible…

• Fred Mrozek

Look it up in Ha’aretz if you want.

• Arafat

You’re most welcome!

• SMH

A Jewish documentary filmmaker did produce a serious-humorous documentary (I forgot the name of it, but maybe Aaron Aarons or some other Jewish person here remembers the name) about his actually going to the ADL headquarters to see Abe Foxman to actually look up & then go *specifically* verify ADL claims of “widespread anti-Semitic” hate crimes for that year: the Jewish documentary filmmaker could hardly find any actual, specifically *verifiable* ADL, anti-Semitic hate crimes, claims!

And, of course, like the rabid Zionists in the comment posts on this webpage, most of the ADL claims equated criticism of Israel &/or Zionism as “anti-Semitic hate crimes”.

• SMH

[Let me try again in case the comments editor is getting picky about capitalized (for emphasis) words, before I call up the Daily Cal to see what’s up]:

.

RE: SeeThroughYou:

“Anti-Zionism is ridiculous.

That’s like saying Anti-Black Liberationism or Anti-Native Rightsism or some other bizarre reactionary movement that seeks to vilify a minority rights movement created to protect a minority from discrimination and even genocide in the first place.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Zionism is A *political* ideology — *not* an ethnic or innate characteristic of someone.

Sooner or later some Zionist Jew is always falsely trying to *racistly* use people of color, especially Black people and the African American struggle, even purposely *falsely* quoting Martin Luther King, to justify the repugnant, racist, apartheid ideology of Zionism. And not only was Israel then South African Apartheid’s greatest friend (with heavy competition from then Reagan & Thatcher), Israel was the military and paramilitary *arsenal* of apartheid South Africa.

And, as a *political* ideology Zionism is intellectually open to the same kind of intellectual and moral interrogation, analysis, comparisons with other (especially, past/present racist) ideologies, debate, and, if analytically warranted, moral condemnation as any other *political* ideology potentially is — and especially, like other, now the thankfully legally abolished racist ideologies, like Constitutional slavery, Native American extermination, Nazism, Apartheid (in South Africa), U.S. Segregation, U.S. anti-Asian exclusionary laws, or other ideologies, like overt legalized misogyny (women’s disenfranchisement) or Islamophobia per se (unfortunately not yet illegalized) in the West.

Also, if Zionists didn’t have such political power that they could get the UC Board of Regents in the Regents’ new statement to single out *only* anti-Semitism as discrimination, rather than _the far greater and much more deadly discrimination_ against Muslims, Middle Easterners, Native Americans, African Americans, Latinos, and sometimes even working-class and poor Asians, the Regents could have issued a statement against discrimination against alll discriminated groups — and not just ethnic groups.

Were it not for Zionist Jews political power in the West, it should be as otherwise laughable that Zionist Jews use the *racist* ideology itself of Zionism, as their vehicle purportedly to condemn anti-Semitism, as it would have been to, back in history, other racist whites to declare then anti-Segregation, or then anti-Apartheid in South Africa, as, respectively, an illegal form of anti-white racism, or anti-Nazism as an illegal form of Jewish white anti-Gentilism! Of course, at those respective times, before they were, finally, legally abolished, and legally relegated to the dustbin of history, opposing Nazism in Nazi Germany, or Segregation in the U.S., or Apartheid in South Africa, *was* illegal.

It is otherwise as *laughable* that Zionist Jews use Zionism purportedly to oppose anti-Semitism, as it would be if David Duke or the KKK used Segregationism to purportedly oppose anti-white racism!

It is also fallacious for Zionist Jews to repugnantly exploit the great suffering not only of Jews in the past, but of Black, Native, and other oppressed groups (flash: Jews are no longer an oppressed group in the U.S. and most of the West), because most Black, Native, Brown and Asian American intellectuals and progressive and liberation activists (including Malcolm X, SNCC, the Black Panthers, and other Black liberation activists) — including many moral Jews — in the West — indeed view/ed and *oppressed* Zionism as a form of colonial, apartheid, white (this time white Jewish instead of white Christian) racis,

In fact, Israel is the last settler-colonial state of its kind in the entire world, now that political and segregational (but unfortunately in general not yet economic) apartheid has been abolished in South Africa.

• Dan Spitzer

Wow-I hope you are not a student. What ideological bullshit! And what unadulterated bigotry.

Half the Jews of the planet live in Israel and it would be fair to say that at least 98% of them are Zionists. To thereby condemn Zionists as you have goes to the very heart of why this resolution was so sorely needed. Thanks for providing Exhibit A…

• Dan Spitzer

Addendum: At the regents’ meeting concerning the resolution dealing with intolerance accorded Jews, African Americans, Muslims and others subjected to bigotry, a group of black people tried to shout down Napolitano and then started screeching, “Black Lives Matter, Black Lives Matter.”

Now this is a small masterpiece of irony, isn’t it, in that the resolution was formulated to protect victims of bigotry, including blacks. But it was clear to those in the audience that these fools didn’t want the regents to pass a resolution which also protected Jews. Clearly for them, Jewish Lives (Don’t) Matter.

Most of the whites who accompanied me on buses to help get African Americans registered to vote in a South given to white supremacy were Jews. And this held for perhaps a majority of whites in the Civil Rights Movement who were also Jews. Some thanks we now receive from a community where anti-Semitism has grown to disturbing proportions…

• Dan Spitzer

SMH–No, that’s more like the prose of Joseph Anderson, an inveterate Jew-hater familiar to many of us. Hey Joe, where have you been? Come out of the closet and reveal yourself.

Arafat and others on this site: Remember ole Joe. He has come back to try futilely once again to go after those evil Zionists. His style, capital letters and parentheses invariably give him away.

It’s always good to see Joe posting because he is such a hater that he helps make our case for us…

• Dan Spitzer

When one looks at the post below, it’s crystalline that the poster is Joseph Anderson. Too bad he hasn’t the integrity to identify himself. Or more likely, he is too embarrassed to do so.

Joey is an African American who has such contempt for Jews that he condemns Noam Chomsky and Norman Finklestein, the two best known anti-Zionist Jews. Indeed, Barbara Lubin of the anti-Israel Middle East Childrens Alliance has found Anderson so overtly a hater of Jews that she said she believes Joey to be an Israeli agent, given the embarrassment he brings to the pro-Palestinian “cause.”

Rail on Joey. It’s great to have you back, making our case for us that if one scratches an anti-Zionist, one finds a virulent anti-Semite…

• SMH

RE: Dan Spitzer: “Noam Chomsky and Norman Finklestein, the two best known anti-Zionist Jews.”

Chomsky and Finkelstein have pointed out that they have *never* claimed they were *anti*-Zionists. In fact, they *both* support an ideologically, demographically and politically supremacist Jewish state — that would be Israel — in historic Palestine, but believe that the right-wing and clueless Zionists will lead to Zionism’s political destruction, as what happened to political apartheid in South Africa! I.e., Chomsky and Finkelstein believe that political Zionism is being merely *mismanaged*.

And, in fact, Chomsky called the BDS movement “hypocritical” against apartheid in Israel, his saying that *instead* we Americans should economically boycott (like, I guess stop buying groceries, gasoline, paying our mortgages/rents, stop paying our utilities, phone bills, and car loans, stop paying for public transportation, store-shopping, etc., in) our own country.

And, in fact, Finkelstein calls the BDS movement “a cult”!

So, neither especially, Finkelstein (because Palestine/Israel was his only cause), nor, to sadly only a lesser extent, Chomsky (because he’s savvy enough to use other causes as a cover) are exactly darlings of the anti-Zionist pro-Palestinian human rights movement — even of anti-Zionist Jews — anymore.

But, both Finkelstein and Chomsky are known as “left Zionists” — admittedly a moral contradiction in terms..

• SMH

.

Can you imagine what would have happened if CHOMSKY and FINKELSTEIN, respectively, would have called the BDS movement “hypocritical” and “a cult”, against, back in time, white apartheid South Africa (instead of, as they do, these days against Zionist apartheid Israel)?

Chomsky and Finkelstein would have long ago *discredited* themselves and would have long ago stopped being the darlings of the left!

.

• SMH

And, to Zionist Jews, obviously Palestinian lives *don’t* matter.

RE: Dan Spitzer: “Most of the whites who accompanied me on buses to help get African Americans registered to vote in a South —[‘surrrrre ya did’, Dan Spitzer, as you were trying to “free” Black folks while supporting the *oppression* Palestinians, or were you, ultimately self-servingly, trying to recruit Black people to Zionism?]— given to white supremacy were Jews. —[Why didn’t you stop racist Jewish slumlords in the Northeast from burning, for the insurance money, cumulatively *thousands* of Black tenants out of Black ghetto apartments, Dan Spitzer?]— And this held for perhaps a majority of whites in the Civil Rights Movement who were also Jews. Some thanks we now receive from a community where anti-Semitism –[you mean *anti-Zionism*, as yet another form of racism and European colonial apartheid, this time white-Jewish instead of white-Christian?]– has grown to disturbing proportions…”

Why those damn, *ungrateful*, simple neegroes, huh, Dan Spitzer?…

• garyfouse

Dan,

Interesting. Was that the final meeting? I participated in the public forum part of the Regents working group at UCI and UCLA. Napolitano was only present at the UCI meeting.

In reality the entire process with the statement of principles on intolerance was a result of Jewish complaints of anti-Semitism over the years. At the UCI event I don’t recall any other group speaking for their grievances in the public forum.

Your point is well taken. When it comes to white support for the Civil Rights Movement, Jews were more than well represented.

• Dan Spitzer

Gary, Thursday was the meeting in which the resolution was definitively passed. See the NY Times front page story on this for the details as they are rendered in more accurate prose than that found in the San Francisco Chronicle and LA Times.

BTW, as a UC faculty member would it be possible for you to provide the UC administration and the faulty at your campus with a copy of the comments seen under this topic in the latest Daily Cal? They would find the posts particularly of Joseph Anderson (SMH) and Fred Mrozek to be instructive as to why future actions must be taken regarding members of the university community who so vilely violate the resolution with the overt anti-Semitism exhibited on this site…

• garyfouse

Let me see what I can do in that regard, Dan. I have already sent this article and thread on to the AMCHA Initiative.

Of course, I warn you: I am not exactly the fair-haired boy in the UC administration and faculty. Most of what I send goes in their round file.

• Dan Spitzer

Thank you, Gary. AMCHA’s Tammi Rossman-Benjamin is one of the truly heroic figures in leading the charge against the anti-Semitism of the pro-Palestinian contingent and it’s good that you passed this thread to her offices.
            Yes, the UC administration has been in the past given to ignoring the overt anti-Semitism seen on campus. Perhaps this new resolution passed by the Regents will move some of them to stop sitting on their hands in the face of bigotry extended toward Jews (they are moved at the drop of a hat to take action vs any perceived slights vs other minorities, as you no doubt have seen)…

• Aaron Aarons

For the most part, Jews who were active in the civil rights movement were not Zionists or particularly pro-Israel. OTOH, prominent Jews like Albert Shanker of the teachers’ union in NYC were both against Black liberation and strongly pro-Israel.

• Dan Spitzer

Mr. Aarons, any conversation you wish to have with me on ANY subject ended when you found a way to justify anti-Semitism. By so doing, not only did you provide yet another reason for applauding the Regents’ resolution condemning the linkage between anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism, you have correspondingly called into question the merits of any other comments you might make…

• Aaron Aarons

Any Jew who supports a racist ideology like Zionism is no better than a Muslim who supports Wahhabism or the Saudi royal family. And if 98% of Jews really did support Zionism and its manifestation in the State of Israel, it would make ‘antisemitism’ quite understandable.

• Dan Spitzer

Thank you Aaron for providing further substance for the Regents advocacy of the resolution which correlates anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism. I take it that you yourself honor your own rationalization for anti-Semitism…

• Aaron Aarons

I don’t make racial generalizations about my enemies, but I understand that people with less of a background in history, science, philosophy, etc. might do so, just as most of the Jews I grew up around after WWII made racist generalizations against Germans.

• garyfouse

Dan,

I could not agree with you more. What passes for university education at least in the humanities and social sciences is almost criminal.

• Sick and twisted anti-Americanism and anti-free-speech, is what this article and ideology promotes! Zionism merely uses Judaism as a mask and is currently the world’s biggest threat to Jews!

• Dan Spitzer

What’s sick and twisted is your comment that Zionism, by which half the Jews on earth define themselves, is to you “currently the world’s biggest threat to Jews!”

The above is precisely why the regents passed the resolution on intolerance…

• Fred Mrozek

During the 2014 Israeli barbarism against Gaza, groups of Israeli’s camped out on hilltops to enjoy the view. Meanwhile, something like 90% of Jews identifying themselves as such in polls taken in Israel admitted approving of the violence – violence involving the use of high-tech weapons against trapped, innocent and defenseless men, women and children. (I’ve seen images of circuit boards from guidance systems removed from the dead bodies of little girls, of children decapitated, dismembered, disemboweled; sometimes while still breathing on operating tables. 18,000 residences (RESIDENCES) destroyed and all with so little justification that the longer and more carefully one examines Israel’s excuses, the closer to ZERO the level of justification becomes.) If a large enough fraction of Jews ever come to approve of this type of senseless, unjustified and criminal behavior, then no amount of political exertion in US or campus politics should suffice to protect Israel and it’s sycophantic supporters, no matter who they are, no matter who they claim to be, and no matter how rich or powerful they are, from the loathing and opposition they richly deserve. If I were a US politician, I’d be deeply ashamed for any support I’d ever given Israel. What a moral, political and economic disaster/atrocity it has become. I hope I never again live to see the day that both houses of congress sign “unanimous consent” decrees approving of Israeli butchery of civilians. And I hope every politician who did sign them lives to feel appropriate guilt and shame.

• Dan Spitzer

Mr. Mrozek has apparently no trouble trying to reduce the Middle East’s sole democracy to what he calls “barbarianism.” But we see nothing in his screed on this site decrying the Palestinian treatment of women as second class citizens, the “honor murders” of Palestinian teenage girls who allegedly act against the dictates of their fathers, the Palestinian brutalization of gays, and the violent suppression of dissidents in both the W. Bank by the Palestinian Authority and by Hamas in Gaza. On the other hand, Israel’s treatment of females, gays and those exercising criticism of their own society are considered exemplary by worldwide standards.

And finally, while the Palestinians’ own polls shows that Hamas is the political party favored by most of the people living in the W. Bank and Gaza, Mr. Mrozek expresses no criticism of the very charter of Hamas which calls for worldwide Jewish genocide.

If any of the above troubles you, Mr. Mrozek, kindly let us know. In your own words, do you not “feel appropriate guilt and shame” for championing those who engage in such untoward activity, to say nothing about the advocation of Jewish genocide?

• Fred Mrozek

I addressed these attempts to distract elsewhere among the threads here. But just in the past day or two there was yet another extrajudicial execution by an IDF soldier and this time it was caught on video tape. The whole thing including an Israeli nearby overheard asking if the “dog is alive” before the murdering soldier puts a bullet through the unconscious victim’s head and blows his brains onto the pavement. This type of abuse and murder of Palestinians has been going on now for 69 years. If Americans knew what goes on there, if the media were not protecting Israel by filtering the news through Zionist filters, Americans would lose their enthusiasm for the racist, colonial endeavor.

• JB Don’t Dance

You are free to spew your hate speech on whatever street corner you choose to occupy.

• garyfouse

It’s so sad to see Israel fighting for its survival and having to deal with the Obama administration and certain folks here in the US.

• Aaron Aarons

It’s sadder to see that the Israel/Jewish/Zionist lobby has been able to get the United Snakes and other Western imperialist countries to kill, starve and otherwise seriously harm many hundreds of thousands, probably millions, of Iraqis since 1990 — all to secure the military and strategic domination of the Zionist/Jewish state over the entire region.

• garyfouse

“Israel/Jewish/Zionist lobby”?

I guess that’s why we are having this discussion in the first place and why this statement from the UC Regents is so important.

And how about “the United Snakes”? That reminds me of the time I asked Amir Abdel Malik Ali at UCI, which he hated more-Israel or America.

I see Mr Aarons describes himself as a “radical left-wing activist since 1956”. That must look impressive on any resume. Of course, this hatred of Israel and the Jews in the current era comes overwhelmingly from the left. It even attracts left-wing Jews like Judith Butler and Norman Finkelstein. That does not detract from the problem of anti-Semitism that infects college campuses across the country.

Finally, Mr Aarons, aren’t you a little too old to be using throw-away lines like United Snakes and IsraHell? It hardly becomes you.

• Dan Spitzer

Gary, Arafat and other readers of this site: all anyone who doubts the correlation between anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism needs to do to understand why the Regents recognized the need for their resolution would be to read the commentary on this topic written by Joseph Anderson (aka SMH), Fred Mzorek and Aaron Arons. To do so would be to witness the tragic reality that anti-Semitism, under the guise of support for the Palestinians, is alive and toxically thriving…

• Fred Mrozek

Dan, I challenge you to point out where anti-Zionism became anti-Semitism. Facts are facts all by themselves. But when my sources are almost exclusively publications written by Jews, the Talmud, Israeli court proceedings, statements of former Warsaw ghetto freedom fighters, or the diaries of former Israel foreign ministers and prime ministers, are you STILL going to claim it is anti-Semitic?

• SMH

.

Don’t you *know*…?: according to Zionists (and especially to *rabid* Zionists like Dan Spitzer), the TRUTH *is* “anti-Semitic”.

.

• garyfouse

Let me offer a few examples. In 2001 Mohammed al Asi spoke at UCI during anti-Israel hate week and said, “You can take the Jew out of the ghetto, but you can’t take the ghetto out of the Jew”. In 2008, the MSU put up a caricature of Ariel Sharon in the stereotypical style of Der Stuermer. Just within the past year, a BDS vote at UC Davis was followed the same evening by swastikas scrawled on a Jewish frat house. I could go on and on from one UC campus to the next.

• Dan Spitzer

Gary, given what we have seen on this thread, it is time to flag posts by Joseph Anderson (SMH) and Fred Mrozek and request that the Daily Cal’s editors remove those comments which violate the paper’s guidelines. The posts by the above bigots has become so extreme that it only makes sense that the newspaper carry out the standards affirmed by the resolution just passed by the Regents…

• JohnFHudson

This entire notion of being intolerant of intolerance is not only hypocritical, but unconstitutional. What are they going to do should I utter an “intolerant” remark? As agents of the state the university and its employees have a Constitutional duty to tolerate intolerant speech. The KKK and Nazis also have First Amendment rights. What are they going to do to enforce this ridiculous set of rules that has no place in a free country that won’t land them in federal court as defendants in a civil rights lawsuit?

• Dan Spitzer

The UC system has both a code of conduct and hate speech laws. If you engage in racist discourse concerning black people or gays, you violate the code of conduct and hate speech strictures. People like Mr. Hudson apparently have no problem when it comes to anti-Semitic bigotry and under the new resolution approved by the regents, some anti-Zionist rhetoric falls under the rubric of hate speech.

The University of California may not define what is or is not appropriate language or action taken by non-students and others outside of the university community and off of the grounds of UC campuses. But it has every right as an institution of higher learning to apply its code of conduct to what its administrators deem to be unethical language or activities stemming from students, faculty or other members of the UC community…

• JohnFHudson

On the contrary, my oldest and dearest friends are Jews by ethnicity. (They ain’t Kosher.) I have been going to Cal football games with the same Jewish man for 35 years. He lives three blocks from the stadium and lets me park in his garage. Another Jewish engineer has been helping me with my retreat project. My significant other is part Jewish. This means that my son is also part Jewish. (Maybe under Jewish law he IS Jewish.) I believe that Hitler chose the wrong enemy. It is people who hate Jews who are destroying Germany at this time. Israel should be Germany’s natural ally.

Just because I am against censorship doesn’t mean that I’m anti-semetic. For that matter, white people have an absolute right to go around the campus wearing KKK robes. The criminal misconduct of those who might assault them must not be an excuse for such censorship and there is no excuse for intolerance of opinions you do not agree with.

• Dan Spitzer

Gee, John, by what feat of magic has the exponential growth of anti-Semitism acknowledged by respected polls come to campuses? Surely, as you imply, it wasn’t by anything said or written, was it? Because if that were the case, this burgeoning expansion of anti-Semitism is apparently would be OK by you, freedom of speech and all.

I’m not so sure how well your acceptance of the anti-Semitic anti-Zionism speeches and writing so regularly seen on campus these days would sit with all your fine Jewish friends. By all means ask them…

• JohnFHudson

I don’t “accept” anything on campus these days. I only come to the campus for football games now. I’ve been going since 1957. I was born and raised in Berkeley. I am a member of the Class of 1972. Back in the day my friend and I were the only hippies who liked football. However, I will never accept censorship of anyone by anyone, Sonny.

What magic? It’s called political correctness. It began when the left wing managed to get Zionism equated with racism. It’s all rhetorical manipulation of knee jerk liberals. the funny thing is that my Jewish friends are all knee jerk liberals.

• SMH

Spitzer (who Spits Zionist lies all day): ” If you engage in racist discourse concerning black people or gays, you violate the code of conduct and hate speech strictures.”

*Anyone* on campus or in society is free to hypothetically debate, or even hypothetically disagree with, any “Black”, or commonly among Blacks, or some Black person’s, political viewpoints.

And there is absolutely no rule against that.

In fact, Zionist Jewish and Republican students on campus have several times, over the years, brought in a Zionist-&-Republican-popular, *JEWISH*, anti-Black speaker (David Horowitz) to do just that at UC Berkeley — with no penalty at all from the university — and his speech *was* deeply racist.

People would really have to throw away their brain to just believe any ole thing that Spitzer says.

But, ZIONISTS AREN’T DANGEROUS BECAUSE THEY HAVE *BRAINS*: they’re dangerous because in the U.S. they have economic political *power*, and because in Israel they have *guns* (*bbigg* guns, on fighter-jets, helicopter *gunships*, tanks, and warships) and *bombs* (bigger than anything the Palestinian resistance has)!

.

• garyfouse

John,

I use the phrase, “tolerance of intolerance in the name of tolerance” to refer to the Europeans who are tolerating intolerance by their Muslim minorities-against Jews-for example.

Be that as it may, I have been hearing and seeing anti-Semitic hate speech at UCI for years (ex. Amir Abdel Malik Ali). I do not call for banning it per se, because I understand the First Amendment, but I have repeatedly asked the UCI administration to condemn it. Only once did the previous chancellor, Michael Drake, condemn Ali. This was a few years ago when Ali told Jews in the audience that they were the “New Nazis” and affirmed his support for Hamas, Hizbollah and Islamic Jihad. Even then, Drake did not mention the words (other than support for designated terrorist organizations), the speaker, the event, the sponsoring organization (MSU) or the offended group.

What I want is for the university to use its own right of free speech to call out anti-Semitism when it happens-with specificity which includes naming the perps. I want to see the same sensitivity to anti-Semitism as we already have for anti-black racism, for example. As you say, the KKK and Nazis have First Amendment rights, but the university would not waste one second in condemning them once they used the N-word, for example. That is proper, but let’s extend the same protection to all groups.

• JB Don’t Dance

Thank you

• JohnFHudson

Suppose the university official whose “duty” under this policy is to “condemn” intolerance actually agrees with the group he is supposed to “condemn”. Doesn’t that official have a First Amendment right to either refuse to “condemn” the speech in question or to thereafter state that he “condemned” the speech only because it was his duty to do so and then state that he actually agreed with the speech he officially “condemned”?

• garyfouse

Fair question. Let me give you a couple of specific examples from UCI.

1 Pardon the posting from my blog, which you are free not to read, but it contains a picture that appeared on the UCI-MSU’s mock apartheid wall in 2008. I personally saw it and photographed it.

http://garyfouse.blogspot.com/2015/08/anti-semitism-on-college-campuses-who.html

2 In 2001, Mohamad al Asi, a radical imam from Washington DC spoke at UCI. The speech is on videotape-at least a portion. During that speech he said, “There is a psychosis in the Jewish community which prevents it from living in peace and brotherly relations with others. You can take the Jew out of the ghetto, but you can’t take the ghetto out of the Jew.” (You can google it or pull it up from Investigative Project on terrorism)

As far as I know, UCI never condemned the latter event and I can say for sure they never condemned the former.

It is these types of incidents in which the university should speak out and come to the support of Jewish students. So if there is a university official who doesn’t want to issue the statement because he is sympathetic to the speaker or those who put up the picture, then he or she is derelict.

• Jeff

To even mention anti-Zionism in a statement of principles like this is thoroughly disgusting. I’m an anti-Zionist Jew, so I’m obviously not anti-Semitic (and I don’t hate myself).

I’m also really tired of people who grossly exaggerate current anti-Semitism. I guess it exists based on comments I’ve read in this paper, but it’s nothing compared to anti-Black racism or homophobia, just to name two other hateful ideas off the top of my head. A quarter of my family was killed in the Holocaust, but anti-Semitism, at least in the U.S., is just not that big of an issue. If anything, the religious Christians irrationally love Jews.

• SeeThroughYou

You’re the Jewish equivalent of an Uncle Tom..

There isn’t anyone openly insulting and threatening black students on college campuses and feeling justified for doing so but any Jew who wants to walk to Hillel when the SJW nuts are out in force is literally running the gauntlet from death threats to hurled objects depending on how much the ringleaders have ginned them up on any particular day.

• JB Don’t Dance

If you seek to deny Jews the right of self determination in the indigenous Jewish homeland, if you seek to elevate the rights of non-Jews at the expense of Jews who were living in Palestine pre-1948 or who were expelled from lands where they had lived for generations, then yes you are bigoted against Jews and therefore an anti semitic self-hating Jew. The fact that you repeat falsehoods about stealing land and indiscriminate killings that are patently false, you might as well also claim that every time Gaza is flooded it’s because Israel released the dams (that don’t exist) or re-tweet all the pictures of dead children in Syria that are attributed to Israeli self-defense in Gaza, this makes you an ignorant self-hating Jew.

• Fred Mrozek

What percentage of Palestine was owned by Jews in, say 1920? When Israel committed massacres of Palestinians in order to steal their land, how can you suggest no land was stolen? Or are you claiming the (Semitic…) inhabitants freely gave the land to the armed, pale-faced, east-Europeans?

• SMH

.

Hey Fred, don’t you *know* that Palestine was, according to the Zionist Jewish PR lie, _”A land without a people”_!?

Well, European political Zionists, who were/are *white*, didn’t consider Palestinians, who are, of course, *not* European, to be *people*!

The lie not only reflected how the Zionist racists considered the indigenous Palestinian people, but reflected the Zionist plan to drive *out/aside* as many Palestinian people as the Zionists *continually* could — a Zionist intention to, indeed, *make* Palestine, as much as possible, “a land without a people” — for the Zionists!

Ya know, sometime brutal & ruthless ethnic cleansers, in their simplest PR lines/slogans, tell you *exactly* what their intentions are.

.

• Dan Spitzer

WTF does being “really tired of people who grossly exaggerate current anti-Semitism” mean? That anti-Semitism has to reach a level defined by someone, perhaps you, that is “acceptable?”

Since you say you are an anti-Zionist Jew, that by definition means you disparage the vast majority of Jews on the planet, including the half of the world’s Jewry who live in Israel.

History has shown us that there have been blacks who supported slavery and even owned slaves, Latinos who are Trump supporters, and Jews who have contempt for the vast majority of the world’s Jews. Unfortunately Jeff, you appear to fit the latter category.

No, I don’t believe you hate yourself. I believe you hold yourself in such high regard that it makes you feel good to say, “Hey, look at me! I’m a Jew who has contempt for most other Jews on earth and I affirm this by expressing my self-definition as an anti-Zionist Jew.”

• Aaron Aarons

Jews (or people of Jewish ancestry) who oppose Israel and Jewish Supremacy are far more like the whites who opposed slavery (few of whom were Jews!) than the few Blacks who supported these crimes. BTW, I’ve been anti-ZIonist since 1956 but only in the last decade or so have described myself as an EX-Jew.

• Arafat

 Some Jews fought with the Greeks and Romans against their fellow Jews. Some sympathized with the crusades and the pogroms. Some Jews even supported the Nazis leading up to World War II.

The story is no different today. There is still a very small – but vocal – minority of Jews who sympathize with those who want to kill us. There is still a fringe sect of Jewish society that finds it necessary to love those who seek to kill us and blame us for our enemies’ baseless hatred.

These views include comparing the Jewish state to the Nazis, calling for the isolation of the only Jewish state and holding it to an impossible standard, and calling for the annihilation of Jewish self-determination.

• Jeff

Those who want to kill us? Give me a break! The comments by you and people like Dan Spitzer are exactly what I mean about being sick of the gross exaggerations of anti-Semitism. When I lived in Chicago, my brother, other Jewish friends, and I had Jordanian/Palestinian friends, and they certainly didn’t want to kill us. In fact, we were all close friends for years (none of us were religious, probably a large factor that allowed us to be friends).

There is something deeply wrong with you people. Maybe you’re overly paranoid, maybe you’re fanatic about getting to have your own country, whatever. But European Jews had no right to take Palestinian land and have no right to continue to do so with settlements, which the ENTIRE WORLD outside Israel and the U.S. acknowledges as illegal.

• garyfouse

It’s called intellectual dishonesty in my view. These people march in lock step with those who would destroy Israel and every last Jew if they could. It is pathetic.

• Fred Mrozek

Wanna know who is destroying Israel? Israel is destroying Israel. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/nov/16/israel2

• Aaron Aarons

You march in lock step with those who would continue the destruction of Palestine and would not hesitate, in the future any more than they have in the past, to kill any Palestinian who resists.

• garyfouse

Palestine? What is there to destroy?

I don’t agree with your definition of resist. Stabbing innocent civilians on the street is not resistance. Launching rockets from Gaza into Israel is not resistance. Suicide bombings on buses is not resistance.

It is terrorism.

• Paul Anderson

Pattiz’ amendment saying that “’anti-Semitic forms of’ anti-Zionism and other forms of discrimination have no place at UC” still manages to lump legitimate and illegitimate speech together (syntactically close) in his version of what is acceptable. This is not insignificant to linguists, cryptographers, or marketers, all of whom would recognize Pattiz’ formula as prejudicial…

Its associative and topical bias originate in linguistic bias and cultural preference, among others (subjectivity bias.) A guideline protecting interests of offended parties could have been said without, by default, either impuning or impuning by absolution, specific legitimate behavior.

“This but not that,” and “the non-this of that” are not simple legal grammars and refusal to recognize the syntactic bias has alternately drawn on “the irrelevance defense” (“its such a tiny law, what could it matter?”) or perhaps doubly erroneously, been used to argue that the logic, so bound, is intended to be very case specific, and not relevant to similar cases in the same class of issues (herein counter to Pattiz statement about generalizability of the alleged ‘principle.’ (Not a very good one. )

As added ‘clarifications’ such statements are more variously accepted as less prejudicial against the prejudically defined “larger ‘class’ of behavior.” This also is a sometimes thing. Clarifications have equal legal weight in the courtroom, and less traction in the rest of the world.

The counter example: Specifically unmentioned is anti-semitic forms of Zionism. (Statements about Self-hating Jews or Jews who refuse to immigrate to Israel.) In some large communities (Jewish and Christian communities, monopoly old media) in North America and Europe, this happens arguably much more frequently than anti-semitic forms of anti-Zionsm, at the very least, frequently enough to deserve similar consideration .

An interesting test for objectivity of Pattiz statement would be whether a computer program could more tersely specify the desired outcome. It could. And, whether a computer program would reverse engineer an objectively written law into Pattiz’ formula. (It would not.)

As an algorithm for distinguishing injured or injuring parties, Pattiz statement works, but it works like well anaesthetized ‘amputation by grafting’ adding the unnecessary and counting on the immune system to eliminate the ill behavior (and along with it, an organic and necessary right of free thought and speech.)

Pattiz’ choice is at least unlawfully arbitrary, and as such could only be applicable in administrative adjudication of a specific instance of complaint, not in writing a guideline.

Sadly, some significant equal rights law has been thus (Pattiz) terribly formulated. It does no service to law, equality, or human rights to continue down this road.

Drawing Board, back to the.

• garyfouse

You sound like you’ve been smoking your socks.

• SeeThroughYou

Anti-Zionism is ridiculous.

That’s like saying Anti-Black Liberationism or Anti-Native Rightsism or some other bizarre reactionary movement that seeks to vilify a minority rights movement created to protect a minority from discrimination and even genocide in the first place.

If the Cherokee stared moving back to the Carolinas by the tens of thousands and mounted a successful takeover of it’s government once they had become the majority then they would have duplicated the success and goals of Zionism for their own people.

You have a very weird, conspiracy nut view of Zionism and you probably learned it either on outlier internet disinfo sites or as part of some fringe SJW movement at the sorry excuses we have for colleges these days

• Jeff

Another false analogy. No invaders from across the ocean stole what became Palestine from the Jews. The state of Israel to which you allude hadn’t existed for millennia, despite the delusions of some people.

• SeeThroughYou

You prove your ignorance runs deeper than even I suspected.

No amount of temporal distance changes the issue if the culture maintains the same narrative and desires for the entirety of that distinct culture’s existence and just because the majority of so-called Palestinians today descend from itinerant Arabs who migrated to the area looking for work in the 1920s instead of coming on ships from across an ocean doesn’t lessen the violence they have perpetrated to earn them the mistrust and bristling they receive today at the hands of their victorious former victims.

Euros and Muslims have played kickball with the land Jews have pined away for, prayed for and died for for 2000 years and when the Jews finally succeed at EXACTLY what every minority movement dreams of they suddenly become the bogey man of your phony narrative?

FOOLSTUFFING!

Jews have been ISRAEL living in exile as refugees(and treated as such) for the entirety of the last 2000 years. They have been barred citizenship, regarded as foreigners even after living in host countries for generations and kicked out in xenophobic pogroms by YOUR ancestors this whole time. The State of Israel is merely the reuniting of the world’s oldest refugee population with their ancestral land, period

• SMH

SeeThroughYou: “the land Jews have pined away for, prayed for and died for for 2000 years…”

No country or other people in the entire *WORLD* would willingly accept such an absolutely *ridiculous* argument for any claim on their land and homes.

Only with the help of the then leading European, then openly colonial/imperialist power (Britain), and then of other leading racist Euro-Western, then openly colonial/imperialist powers (like the U.S.) — in short, as Gandhi said, “Only at the point of a barrel of a gun” (pointed at the Palestinians) — could the Zionists get historic Palestine (originally an *overwhelmingly* — *over 90%* — Palestinian, both Muslim & Christian Palestinian, land).

• SMH

.

Yes, *Gandhi*, too, was *anti-Zionist* — although, of course, hardly anti-Jewish.

But, he felt that just as others shouldn’t oppress Jews…,

Jews shouldn’t go oppress *others*.

.

• SMH

SeeThroughYou: ” The State of Israel is merely the reuniting of the world’s oldest refugee population with their ancestral land, period.”

Hitler claimed that he was doing the *same* thing: re-uniting the ethnic German diaspora — including ethnic Germans who Hitler said were 2nd-class citizens/people in other European countries.

David Duke and the KKK claim that they too were “re-uniting” the white race in America — especially against “race-mixing” and de-Segregation.

It’s an old, but still politically useful, claim by racist demagogues and manipulators — whether by white Gentiles or white Jews.

.

• garyfouse

Jeff,

In which millennium did a nation called Palestine exist?

• Aaron Aarons

Human beings don’t have to have a recognized nation-state in order to have a right to live on their lands. In fact, most nation-states have been established by invaders who oppress, and often slaughter, the indigenous peoples. Most of the states of Central America are examples of this, which may be why their mostly-white rulers have excellent relations with the United Snakes and IsraHell.

• JB Don’t Dance

It’s interesting that you allude to a state of Israel that did exist, since the allies of your anti-Zionist views constantly deny any presence of Jewish sovereignty at any point in history while fabricating a Palestinian sovereignty around 1964 that had/has zero reference in historical or religious texts, archaeology, or politics.

• SMH

RE: Zionist: “Anti-Zionism is ridiculous.

That’s like saying Anti-Black Liberationism or Anti-Native Rightsism”

*No* it’s not — not at all.

Quit falsely using people of color human rights issues as your Zionist way to support Zionist repugnant racism — because that, *too*, is repugnantly racist.

• Dan Spitzer

What a mass of rubbish to justify using anti-Zionism to codify anti-Semitism. Perhaps your examination of linguistic analysis hails from Noam Chomsky, a true anti-Zionist hater…

• garyfouse

Dan,

When I was was studying linguistics, I was assigned to read Chomsky’s book on Universal Grammar, which simply stated means that the human brain is pre-wired for learning language, something even I could have figured out.

Chomsky may be a great linguist, but when it comes to anything else, he is an idiot. At any rate, I’m guessing Paul is a professor or one in training.

• Dan Spitzer

Gary, if Paul is a prof or training to be one, this underscores the reason why so many of us are skeptical of what is taught in so-called higher education. And who is teaching it.
          I myself, a Ph.D. in history who also later taught journalism on the college level, have seen what has evolved on campuses nationwide and am pleased that I am no longer connected with those institutions which have become such a playground for the propaganda.
          Academia, where the search for truth in a Socratic sense once enriched our society, is today a font spewing facile homilies pandering to PC pinheads. That is to say, this sewage soiling our campuses is nothing less than a national disgrace.
          And as with those ideologues and bigots given to extolling the “virtues” of BDS and anti-Zionist excreta, the contemporary academia all too often does our country more than a little very real harm…

• SMH

Dan Spitzer: “I myself, a Ph.D. in history who also later taught journalism on the college level”

So, Dano, now you’re claiming to have been a university professor too?

Just like you used to claim that you were a “journalist” — but it was discovered that you actually just wrote a few passages in some Israeli tourist guides!

So, *where* did you [ahem] *teach* “journalism” — and why are you still [ahem] teaching “journalism”?

What did you do?: quit in order to become a full-time Zionist propaganda mill posting your comments at webpage comment sites?

I see you got a promotion: *self*-promoted, huh?

You must be a rrreeeal important person…, huh Dano?

What were you, Dano, *really*…: a professor’s class papers & exam collector?

.

• Dan Spitzer

BTW, the piece by Ms. Hussain is not quite correct. Ms. Hussain should re-read Regent Pattiz’s accepted amendment to the resolution. That is to say, anti-Zionism was condemned in the revised resolution if it was correlated with anti-Semitism. And given much of what the likes of SJP say and write, the connective tissue between anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism would in many instances not be too hard to discern…

• garyfouse

As an adjunct teacher at UC Irvine (and a Gentile), I spoke twice at the regents working group meetings at UCI and UCLA in favor of passing a strong statement against anti-Semitism on our campuses. I have personally seen it and heard it over the past decade. The incidents have been well documented over the years, and this resolution is long overdue.

As for Butler, here is an open letter I wrote to her last year after she spoke against Israel at UCI. Needless to say, she never responded.

http://garyfouse.blogspot.com/2015/05/an-open-letter-to-professor-judith.html

• Dan Spitzer

It’s rather revealing, Gary, that Judith Butler would once again condemn anti-Semitism as she did in front of the regents today while she justified pejoratives associated with and regularly heard on campus concerning the concept of Zionism. And yet when you asked her to respond to an inexcusable anti-Semitic slur spewed on your campus, she failed to reply.

I’m not surprised. Curious to hear her response on this, I once told Butler that I supported the rights of all sexual preferences worldwide. Unsurprisingly given her own gender choice, Butler affirmed that she did as well. But when I then went on to ask her if she would be treated differently in the Palestinian territories had she been open there about her preference as opposed to Israel where she once lived, Butler refused to answer. That’s telling, isn’t it?

In sum, Butler only shills for what she calls “freedom” in public and on the record when it suits her personal caprice and political ideology…

• SMH

Zionism itself is anti-Semitic!

Not only, because political Zionism oppresses a people (Palestinian Arabs, Muslim, Christian and secular) farrr more Semitic than *European* Jews, after some 2,000 years of *European* Jews being away from the historic Palestine of their ancient *religious* ancestors — if there’s even any, or much of any, direct biological line of descent, especially after some 2,000 years of European Jewish often intermixing with European gentiles — BUT because Zionists Jews themselves equate political Zionism — colonial conquering, economic disenfranchisement, mass population displacement, the razing of some 400 Palestinian towns and villages, Israeli apartheid, continual land and home thefts, and the founding terrorism (notably the founding/incipient Israeli Jewish Stern and Irgun terrorist groups), Palestinian imprisonment without trials, semi-starvation embargoes, ironically history’s *largest* and most populous concentration camp (Gaza), and the *state* terrorism and *state* torture by Israel, the continual racist substitution of one (European) ethnic group (Jews) over the displacement of the indigenous people — Zionists equate with ALLL Jews.

• SMH

.

Of course the Zionists ***LLLOSSST*** because ***NO WAY*** were the Board of Regents in *any* state school system going to pass a statement/resolution equating anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism.

Anyway, the Regents couldn’t make themselves look *that* blatantly controlled by the Israel lobby.

It would make the Regents look like some crazy, *ultra-right-wing*, nutcase, jackbooted, neanderthal censors of freedom of political speech/expression — more befitting the likes of *Netanyahu*, Abe *Foxman*, Trump (actually Trump is not nearly as right-wing as *Hillary* regarding Israel), Ted *Cruz*, the *Tea* Party, and even the *AIPAC-slavishly-grovelling* Hillary Clinton — rather than the heads of supposedly institutions of higher learning!

It’d make the UC Regents look like a bunch o’ backwater Tea Party *Texans* and lead-handed Likudniks!!

And even the *only* two conservative members of the U.S. Supreme Court that *might* have consider that Constitutional would be Clarence Thomas and the thankfully former Scalia!

I.e., it would be declared *UN-CONSTITUTIONAL*, upon court challenge.

But, hey, it’s a mark of Zionists’ growing desperation with Israel’s/Zionism’s steadily growing negative Western image that Zionists will now try for *anything*! — like *thieves* in the night!

But, not even the Regents can help the *Zio-nuts* with something *that* blatantly un-Constitutional — except with some *token*, *watered-down* statement, so that they [the Regents] can show their Israel lobby *controllers* that they [the Regents] passed *something*.

‘Sorry’, *Dano*… Better luck next time…

Ha-ha-ha…

.

• SMH

.

Of course the Zionists *lost* because *no way* were the Board of Regents in *any* state university/college system going to pass a statement/resolution equating anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism.

It’d make the UC Regents look like a bunch o’ backwater Christian fundamentalist Tea Party *Texans* and lead-handed Likudniks!!

And even the *only* two conservative members of the U.S. Supreme Court that *might* have consider that Constitutional would be Clarence Thomas and the former Scalia!

I.e., it would be declared *un*-Constitutional, upon court challenge.

But, not even the Regents can help the *Zios* with something *that* blatantly un-Constitutional — except with some *token*, *watered-down* statement, so that they [the Regents] can show their Israel lobby *controllers* that they [the Regents] passed *something*.

‘Sorry’, *Spitzer*… Better luck next time…

.

• SamXie

If you believe that all people except the Jewish people are entitled to human and civil rights, including the right of self-determination, how is that not anti-Semitic?

• Jeff

Really? Do “all people” have a right to take others’ land so they can have their own country? And to then oppress and kill the remaining people as they see fit and continue to take their land with illegal settlements? Talk about false analogies!

• Dan Spitzer

Well, Jeff, where did you learn this nonsense? Whoever conveyed this to you is ignorance personified? Did you learn this in the Near East Studies Department where Professor Hat’em (love the name) Bazian spews such rubbish as do some of his colleagues?

Our universities are supposed to be places of learning–not propaganda…

• garyfouse

Dan,

Jeff reads The Daily Planet, of which Bazian is the publisher.

• Jeff

Wow. You’re a teacher and yet you disparage me because I read our local online newspaper? That says a lot about how low the standards must be at Irvine, though I don’t expect much from southern California.

• garyfouse

My Dear Jeff,

Why would I disparage you for reading your local online newspaper? If you are referring to the Daily Californian, I read it myself. Otherwise, how would I have wound up in this discussion?

You need to go back and re-read my comment, which was in jest. I was referring to the Daily Planet

Daily Planet, Jeff. Or is that really your YOUR local online newspaper of choice up there in Beserklyland?

Let me break it down for you, Jeff. The Daily Planet was…

Never mind. You can Google it yourself. You do have Internet up there in northern California, don’t you?

(Must be a generational thing,)

• Jeff

Questions are nonsense? Really? Why don’t you address my points instead of immature name-calling? Answer: because you have no legitimate counter position.

And BTW, I never attended the University of California and don’t have any idea to whom you are referring. I will say that the late great Edward Said basically articulated my points of view on this matter.

• Dan Spitzer

Answer questions based upon falsehoods? I’ll not dignify them with a response…

• SMH

.

All others see the book, _”The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine”_, by *anti*-Zionist, *Israeli*, *Jewish* professor, historian, author, & international public lecturer, Ilan Pappe (sociopolitically and economically forced out of Israel and since then living in London).

The historical problem for Zionists is that *no* brutally oppressive state/regime/ideology — whether it was about slavery, misogyny/sexism, Segregation/racism, anti-Semitism, Nazism, fascism, Apartheid, militarism, homophobia, etc., has *ever* been able to get alll the members of the numerically or politically dominant society to go along with, without public or secret moral (and even literally or figuratively underground) opposition to, whatever toxic flavor of oppression those states/regimes/ideologies perpetrate.

There have *always* been inconvenient and vocal PEOPLE OF MORAL CONSCIENCE dissidents against oppression.

.

• Aaron Aarons

“Our universities are supposed to be places of learning–not propaganda…” except that the regents are allowed to act as propagandists for Jewish supremacism.

• SamXie

Jews have lived in this land well before the advent of Christianity and Islam. For 3500 years, there has been a continuous Jewish presence here. Israel is home to 40% of the world’s Jews.

• Jeff

So what? I didn’t say that Jews should not have been able to continue to live there. But the state of Israel had not existed (before the current one) for millennia. You’re twisting the facts to support an illegitimate position.

• Aaron Aarons

Most of the descendants of the Jews who remained in Palestine after the unsuccessful rebellion against Rome became Christians and, many centuries later, Muslims. These are the people who were ethnically ‘cleansed’ by the European settler colonists who identified as ‘Jews’, which is why ‘[occupied Palestine] is home to 40% of the world’s [self-identified] Jews.