Campus printers distribute anti-Semitic fliers Friday, Saturday

printer_araghunath
Aditi Raghunath/Staff

Campuswide printers printed copies of anti-Semitic and white supremacist fliers on Friday and Saturday, according to campus graduate student Geert de Vreede.

De Vreede said he discovered the fliers printing in the campus’s Bilder Lab on Friday evening and immediately informed his boss and the building’s manager. He added that the fliers appeared at multiple printers across campus and originated from an untraceable guest account.

According to a blog post by Andrew “weev” Aurenheimer — who took responsibility for the incident — the fliers were created at his request by a staff member at the Daily Stormer, the Neo-Nazi website.

The fliers featured the slogan, “White man are you sick of the Jews destroying your country through mass immigration and degeneracy? Join us in our struggle for global White Supremacy at the Daily Stormer.”

According to an email from UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich, because many universities’ printers are network-connected, the fliers have been disseminated at multiple other institutions across the nation.

According to the New York Times, more than 12 other universities also received the anti-Semitic fliers, including University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Princeton University and Smith College.

“The FBI is aware of the incident and is assisting local agencies, including UCPD, as we look into the matter,” Reich said. Both UCPD and the campus Information Services and Technology Department are investigating the attack, Reich added in an email.

Campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof, however, said the administration had received no reports of the incident.

Auernheimer’s blog post also detailed the method by which he was able to access the affected universities’ printers. He identified his overarching goal as “a quest to deliver emotionally compelling content to other people’s printers.”

The incident occurred days after the UC Board of Regents approved a revised version of the Statement of Principles Against Intolerance, which condemned anti-Semitism in the university.

Joshua Woznica, a campus junior and the president of the Jewish Student Union, said it is imperative that the university enforce and publicize the amended principles in order for them to be effective.

He expressed hope that the administration would take an official stand condemning the fliers.

“(Administrative condemnation of hate speech) has happened in the past, but comments made by administration are a lot more rare when it comes to anti-Semitic affairs,” Woznica noted.

Becca Berman, president of Bears for Israel, said the fliers served as an example of the enduring prevalence of anti-Semitism.

According to the New York Times, anti-gay and transgender fliers appeared on campus Monday morning, but Aurenheimer claimed that he was not responsible for the new fliers.

Contact Anjali Banerjee at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @abanerjee_dc.

The photo accompanying a previous version of this article may have implied that the Open Computing Facility was one of the facilities on campus that had anti-Semitic fliers printed. In fact, its printers are secured against such attacks. 

A previous version of this article referred to the printing of anti-Semitic fliers as a “hack,” as did the headline attached to a previous version of this article. In fact, because the printers were connected to the public Internet, the incident does not constitute a security breach.

The photo caption accompanying a previous version of this article incorrectly referred to the Open Computing Facility as the OFC. In fact, the correct acronym is OCF.

• I wouldnt be surprised if it was just a bunch of the usual BDS folks behind this act of anti semitism

• fw sparrow

Coming so close on the heels of the Board of Regents action raises the suspicion of a Zionist loose cannon instigator.

• Dan Spitzer

Yet another fine example of SJP logic at work…

• ShadrachSmith

This isn’t news, this is scab picking.

• martial

What will fascinate you is reading more about this stuff & finding out there are people who actually believe this vandalism, for that’s what commandeering a vast array of an institution’s printers to produce something without permission is, constitutes an expression of free speech.

• M2000

It’s due to embrace the Palestinians, no hacking involved.

• Dan Putz

White supremacists don’t support Palestinians, you ignorant. And BTW, your automatic response to link antisemitism to Palestinians doesn’t convince even staunch Zionists.

• M2000

Like David Duke? Like the KKK? Like the National Alliance? The National Socialist Movement? They are firmly supportive of Palestine over Israel.

• Dan Spitzer

Indeed, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem-the spiritual leader of people now called the Palestinians-spent most of the war years in Berlin helping Hitler plan and execute “The Final Solution.” Later Yasir Arafat, a relative, would call the Grand Mufti his true hero…

• M2000

Palestinian supporters will deny everything while blaming Israel.

• is your user name a play on dan spitzer?

• Dan Putz

Dan Spitzer’s user name is a play on mine.

• Dan Spitzer

Isn’t the guy with the screen name clever? Indeed it’s pretty apparent
          that he has no problem with the attempt to bring anti-Semitic leaflets
          to campus. For what other reason would he choose this topic to post his
          personal invective?