District 6 Councilmember Susan Wengraf files for reelection

susan

Berkeley City Councilmember Susan Wengraf filed to run for reelection Friday for her current District 6 seat, a position she has held since 2008.

District 6 is located in the city’s northeast region, bordered by Hearst Avenue and Gayley Road to the south and Spruce Street to the west. The area, known colloquially as the Berkeley Hills, encompasses Grizzly Peak and a portion of the Tilden Regional Park.

Though Wengraf has been elected to two terms on the council, she has also served as president of the Berkeley Democratic Club and has been a member of the committee that has evaluated the city’s Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.

In 2014, Wengraf and former councilmember Gordon Wozniak proposed a contentious city a security-camera database in order to aid police investigations.

The ordinance would have created a digital store where city residents could voluntarily input the addresses of privately owned cameras so that if a crime were to occur in the vicinity, police would be able to immediately know where to look for video evidence.

Wengraf will be running against Isabelle Gaston, current North East Berkeley Association president, and local activist Fred Dodsworth for the seat.

Berkeley municipal elections will be held Nov. 8.

Adrienne Shih is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @adrienneshih.