As college students, we’re always looking for affordable and healthy snacks and meals. Here’s a recipe that’s easy to make and covers all your essential food groups. The creamy avocado, crunchy bread and savory egg is a filling and tasty combo that will give your morning an extra energy boost. For those looking for a spicy kick, we’ve included paprika and Sriracha in this recipe. Feel free to make this toast with different varieties of bread: wheat, whole-grain, sourdough, rye or pumpernickel. Brioche bread and baguettes are not recommended to use with this recipe.
What you’ll need:
2 slices of bread
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon shredded cheese
1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
butter or oil
What you’ll do:
- Toast one of your slices of bread.
- Remove the pit and skin from your avocado. Mash the avocado and mix in the lemon juice and paprika. Add pinches of salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the avocado mix onto the toasted bread slice.
- Add the shredded cheese on top of the avocado.
- Cut a hole using a cup or a knife in the middle of the other slice of bread. Make sure the hole is big enough for your egg to be dropped in without spilling over the sides. Feel free to save the cut-out piece to mop up the runny yolk when it’s time to dig in.
- In a pan, melt some butter or add some oil and turn the stove to medium-high heat.
- Place the slice of bread on the pan and carefully crack an egg into the hole. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on top of the egg.
- Once the bottom and yolk have firmed up, carefully flip over to cook the top.
- Take the toast out of the pan once both sides are golden brown.
- Place the egg toast on top of the avocado toast.
- Drizzle on sriracha.
Contact Angeline Nguyen at [email protected].