Every homie gets homesick

Home_Sick
Ian Erickson/Staff

Now that spring break has passed in a blur and midterms have come and, thankfully, gone, it’s easy to experience a touch of homesickness during this slump with six weeks left in the semester. Rest assured, you’re not the only person on campus dealing with these kinds of feelings. Being sad and enjoying your time in college aren’t mutually exclusive — it’s entirely possible and even normal to have these emotions simultaneously. You can be having a great experience while also being sad at times.

One of the trickiest parts about being a little blue is that it can be difficult to actually identify and recognize these feelings and why they’re happening. Maybe you’re just not as excited for the weekends or dread getting out of bed more than usual. Maybe you have nothing to look forward to in the near future and find yourself choosing to distance yourself from others. However you experience these common feelings, it’s important to acknowledge and address them when possible. Rather than suppress these sentiments in an attempt to avoid the issue, just relax and feel what you feel.

A little pity party never killed anyone. Maybe take a mental health afternoon where you just veg out and chill to relax some of the tension you’re carrying. Heck, cry if you feel so inclined. Disregard the drought and just let the waterworks go to vanquish any pent up mourning for the oasis of home. In the words of Sadness, from Disney Pixar’s “Inside Out,” “crying helps me slow down and obsess over the weight of life’s problems.” While this may sound bleak, especially for an animated children’s movie, there’s some benefit behind crying, so you might as well give it a shot. It’s your party and you’ll cry if you want to.

It’s also easy to get caught up reminiscing about the past and being in a funk that’s difficult to shake. This weird emotional state can follow you around like the omnipresent stress of the research paper you’ve been avoiding. When scrolling through your camera roll, you may catch a glimpse of a photo that takes you back to a special moment in time that has a lasting effect. This reaction to nostalgic material is completely understandable. We suggest taking a stroll down memory lane rather than handling any sentimental content on your phone as if it’s a grenade that’s set to detonate. Cherishing the past is something that can help you feel better about the present and future.

It can be all too easy to let stress pile onto an already compromised emotional state as we miss home-cooked meals and easily accessible washing machines. Those people at home know you better than almost anyone else, and they will always be untouchable in your heart. The struggle is real to be distanced from those you love, but take comfort in knowing that home isn’t going anywhere. When finals pass and this semester is over, our homes that we carry in our hearts will be right where we left them. There’s also no need to try and suppress these feelings because there’s nothing bad about them. Furthermore, the fact that there are places and people that are special enough to elicit feelings of longing shows that they’re meaningful. Though you may be far apart from home, remember that goodbye doesn’t mean forever and it doesn’t mean that you’ll never be together again.

Contact Amanda Chung at [email protected].