Student Action dominates in 2016 ASUC elections, wins all 4 partisan executive seats

studentactionwins
Rachael Garner/Senior Staff

In a reversal from last year’s results, Student Action swept all four partisan executive positions in the 2016 ASUC elections, announced at Friday’s tabulation ceremony.

Will Morrow won president, Alicia Lau won executive vice president, Andre Luu won external affairs vice president, and Frances McGinley won academic affairs vice president.

The results come after last year’s CalSERVE sweep of all four executive partisan seats. While the 2013 and 2014 elections saw executive positions shared among Student Action and CalSERVE officers, a single party has swept the partisan executive seats in seven of the 10 years immediately preceding 2013. Student Action last won all four seats in 2012.

Selina Lao, chief of staff to current Student Advocate Leah Romm, secured the position of student advocate, beating out Defend Affirmative Action Party candidate Stephanie Nicole Garcia. The position is traditionally nonpartisan, with none of the major parties running a candidate, although DAAP has run its own partisan candidates for the position for at least five years.

Student Action also came away with the most senate seats won by any party, winning 10 of the 20 senate positions, while CalSERVE won seven seats. With the 10 seats and an executive vice president, Student Action will have a majority in the senate, which hasn’t been the case in years.

Student Action senators will be Xiao Li, Miranda Hernandez, Jay Choi, Wesley Wan, Monsoon Pabrai, Nathan Kelleher, Bianca Filart, Ian Bullitt, Annie Tran and Helen Yuan. CalSERVE’s senators will be Chris Yamas, Rigel Robinson, Zaynab AbdulQadir, Rosa Kwak, Benyamin Mohd Yusof, Alyssa Liu and Jenny Kim.

SQUELCH! candidates Anthony Carrasco and Guillermo Perez both won seats — the same number as SQUELCH! won last year —  with independent candidate Alaa Aissi, supported by the Middle Eastern Muslim Sikh and South Asian Coalition, rounding out the the senate class.

All four referendums — The Green Initiative Fund Referendum, the Ink Initiative Student Fee, The Declaration of and Action to Mitigate the Student Housing Crisis Referendum and the Constitutional Clarity and Consistency Amendment 2016 — passed.

This year, 12,559 students voted — slightly fewer than last year.

Katy Abbott is the managing editor. Contact her at [email protected].