Sumo Roll for super-sized appetites

Sumo Roll 1
Abigail Balingit/Staff

Move over, fast food. There’s another giant in town and it’s not the recently renovated McDonald’s. Sumo Roll on Allston Way offers alternative fare for students craving sushi burritos. Imagine your favorite sushi roll Godzilla-fied into a humongous seaweed wrap filled with rice and all the fixings. For those seeking a restaurant similar to the much-hyped Sushirrito, Sumo Roll comes the closest to it — no BART ride necessary. While there are similar places that offer sushi burritos such as Sushi Secrets and Sushinista in Downtown Berkeley, Sumo Roll has put its own spin on the sushi burrito craze.

Abigail Balingit/Staff

Abigail Balingit/Staff

Right smack-dab between Saturn Cafe and Blueprint, Sumo Roll wasn’t too difficult to find. When I walked in for lunch, the pleasantly green walls and succulent decor made me feel zen. In addition, Kendrick Lamar’s “Poetic Justice” was playing through the store speakers, so I knew it was going to be a great meal.

Abigail Balingit/Staff

Abigail Balingit/Staff

I was glad to see that there were both cooked and raw protein options, which is always a plus. There were also also a couple of vegetarian burritos that you could choose from, such as the Kabuki and Midori. For those seeking gluten-free options you can opt to take out ingredients listed in parentheses. The array of sushi burritos costs a range from $8.75-11.

Abigail Balingit/Staff

Abigail Balingit/Staff

I tried the special of the day, “Deep Diver,” which boasted spicy garlic scallops, red tobiko, organic greens, avomame, tumeric daikon, fresh carrots, spicy aioli and green beans. It only took about 15 minutes for me to get my order. For a Sumo Roll, it lived up to its name. Admittedly, I wasn’t sure how I was going to tackle the behemoth that was the sushi burrito, but somehow I managed to stuff a generous amount of it in my mouth. Each bite was fresh, delicious and a mouthful of goodness. I wasn’t quite prepared for the spiciness of the scallops and aioli, but it hit my taste buds hard (in a good way). To my delight, there was plenty of raw scallop in the burrito, unlike burritos at other restaurants that tend to skimp on protein. I couldn’t finish all of it because I got extremely full, but I saved the other half for dinner later.

Abigail Balingit/Staff

Abigail Balingit/Staff

The restaurant slogan reads: “Eat healthy. Eat hearty. Eat sumo.” For someone who normally doesn’t eat too healthy, Sumo Roll offers choices that are both filling and don’t make your gut feel bad afterwards. In terms of my own experience, it definitely had a lot of heart, too.

Contact Abigail Balingit at [email protected].