UC Berkeley student questioned, refused service after speaking Arabic on flight

makhzoomi_eepstein_ss
Ethan Epstein/Senior Staff

Update 04/15/2016: This article has been updated to reflect a response from Southwest Airlines.

On April 6, UC Berkeley senior Khairuldeen Makhzoomi was supposed to fly from Los Angeles to Oakland, get to campus and go to class. Instead, Makhzoomi was removed from Southwest Airlines flight 4260, detained by security officers, questioned by the FBI and refused service from Southwest after speaking Arabic before his flight took off.

Makhzoomi, a 26-year-old Iraqi refugee, left Iraq in 2002 after his father, an Iraqi diplomat, was killed under Saddam Hussein’s regime. His family fled to Jordan, where they lived until the United States granted his family asylum. Today, Makhzoomi helps his mother care for his younger brother, who was diagnosed with Down syndrome.

One day prior to the incident, Makhzoomi attended a dinner at the Los Angeles World Affairs Council with Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon.

On his way back to Berkeley, Makhzoomi, a loyal Southwest premier rewards member, boarded his flight to Oakland and called his uncle in Baghdad to tell him about Ki-moon’s event. At the end of the phone call, conducted in Arabic, Makhzoomi said goodbye to his uncle with the phrase “inshallah,” which translates to “if God is willing.”

When Makhzoomi hung up, he noticed a female passenger looking at him. Once he made eye contact with her, she got up and left her seat.

“She kept staring at me and I didn’t know what was wrong,” he said. “Then I realized what was happening and I just was thinking ‘I hope she’s not reporting me.’”

Minutes later, an airport employee arrived to remove Makhzoomi from the airplane. Makhzoomi was escorted onto the passenger boarding bridge where he was met by three security officers.

He learned that the passenger thought she had heard the word “Shahid,” meaning martyr, which is associated with jihad and has been associated with terrorists.

The conversation between Makhzoomi and the employee became complicated and political. The employee informed Makhzoomi that he was not allowed to return to the plane.

Then Makhzoomi heard one of the security officers radio for the FBI.

“At that moment I couldn’t feel anything,” he said. “I was so afraid. I was so scared.”

Makhzoomi was removed from the jet bridge and taken back to the gate where more security officers, police dogs and Southwest staff awaited him. Dozens of onlookers watched as he waited for the FBI to arrive.

In the meantime, security officers searched his bag again and continued to ask him if he had any other luggage he was keeping secret. Makhzoomi alleged that one police officer publicly searched his genital area and asked him if he was hiding a knife anywhere.

“That is when I couldn’t handle it and my eyes began to water,” he said. “The way they searched me and the dogs, the officers, people were watching me and the humiliation made me so afraid because it brought all of these memories back to me. I escaped Iraq because of the war, because of Saddam and what he did to my father. When I got home, I just slept for a few days.”

When the FBI arrived, Makhzoomi said they began questioning him about his family, the phone call he made on the plane and everything he knew about martyrism. After the interrogation was over, an FBI agent informed Makhzoomi that Southwest would not fly him home. Makhzoomi collected his refund and left Terminal 1 to process what had happened.

Makhzoomi called Southwest on Monday and they ensured his status was clear but offered him no apology. He said he considered filing a lawsuit against Southwest but decided against it.

“I don’t want money,” he said. “I don’t care about that. All I want is an apology.”

A statement from Southwest Airlines says that prior to departure, the flight crew decided to investigate “potentially threatening comments” made by Makhzoomi aboard the aircraft.

We wouldn’t remove passengers from flights without a collaborative decision rooted in established procedures,” the statement reads. “We regret any less than positive experience onboard our aircraft. … Southwest neither condones nor tolerates discrimination of any kind.”

Charles Hirschkind, a campus associate professor of anthropology who specializes in Islam and the Middle East, said prejudice against Muslims has institutional effects that manifest in airport security strategies and general police suspicion.

“Since 9/11, we’ve seen a steady increase in anti-Muslim bias and dissemination of fear about Muslims in the United States. That trend has really spiked during this current electoral season,” Hirschkind said. “Candidates have said things like Muslims should not be allowed to immigrate to this country. … All of these kinds of statements really ramp up both the level of fear and also the level of bias and prejudice and racism that Muslims face.”

Since he arrived in the United States, Makhzoomi has worked at a Cheesecake Factory, built a school in a Syrian refugee camp in Jordan, worked his way through community college, transferred to UC Berkeley where he is part of Model United Nations and the Berkeley Political Review and currently writes for the Huffington Post.

This summer, Makhzoomi will be representing Iraq at the Young Leaders Visitors Programme at the Swedish Institute. Makhzoomi said he hopes to one day return to Iraq, which will always be his home.

“I want to help the situation there as best as I can, and I will begin by focusing on education,” he said. “We need to cross the bridge when it comes to our differences and try to promote tolerance and harmony among Iraqi peoples.”

Maya Eliahou is the lead student life reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @MayaEliahou.

• Abdul Keddou

This ranks right up there with a recent FAKE “Islamophobia” incident in NYC: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/muslim-woman-20-slashed-face-called-terrorist-article-1.2584621 ” A woman who told cops she was called a terrorist and slashed on her cheek in lower Manhattan on Thursday later admitted she made up the story, police said early Friday.

The woman, who wore a headscarf, told authorities a blade-wielding wacko sliced open her face as she left a Manhattan cosmetology school, police sources said.”

Hopefully this filthy Islamist provocateur will be charged and prosecuted for filing a false criminal complaint.

• beaminup

For somebody who throws the b word around so much, you, my friend are the very definition of a bigot. You hate anybody who disagrees with you.

Full Definition of bigot. : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjn-IfB_57MAhUO1mMKHfhXCPQQFgguMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.merriam-webster.com%2Fdictionary%2Fbigot&usg=AFQjCNFTzuBByata-eaKZZbx7l1yKTfAQA&sig2=mNCRG5EMvEWJq6_rHFJuTw

• BeetleBailey88

He was not removed for speaking Arabic. Another passenger who spoke Arabic reported him to the flight crew for the content of what he was saying.
    The Arabic speaking woman said his speech was of a threatening nature. It was not the language spoken, but what the message was.
    But of course, you wont get that narrative of facts from bleeding heart leftists that look for causes when there are none, and even jump on the bandwagon of faux incidents.

• Abdul Keddou

DAILY CALIFORNIAN=Journalistic Joke like Rolling Stone after the FAKE “gang rape” at U of Virginia.

• Abdul Keddou

When you see something, SAY something. Here’s what LAPD said on Oscars night in February (the only day of the year when Hollywood liberals LOVE cops):

http://deadline.com/2016/02/oscar-security-2016-security-measures-military-state-1201704435/

“”By law enforcement standards, while the setup ‘is not considered a secure zone right now, it will be,’ said Horace Frank, Assistant Commanding Officer of the LAPD’s Counter-Terrorism & Special Operations Bureau. ‘We continuously tell people, ‘If you see something, say something,’ said Frank. ‘These people who are terrorists or gunmen don’t act out of a vacuum, so we urge the public to tell law enforcement if you see
    something or suspect someone. DON’T WORRY about having others think you’re an ISLAMOPHOBE or a homophobe or any kind of thing like that, because it’s about SAFETY FIRST.”

• Abdul Keddou

Let’s add this qualifier. If you HEAR something, SAY something. The patriotic Arab-speaking person who reported Makhzoomi DID JUST THAT: http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2016/04/southwest-airlines-provides-new-details-on-college-student-removed-from-plane-after-speaking-arabic.html/ “A Southwest Airlines passenger who overheard a college student’s conversation also spoke Arabic and perceived the comments to be threatening, according to a new Southwest Airlines statement.

The new detail sheds light on the removal of 26-year-old Khairuldeen Makhzoomi from an Oakland-bound flight earlier this month. His removal from Flight 4620 gained national attention over the weekend following a story published in The Daily Californian newspaper.”

• lolwut?

The Lying Palestinian propaganda, the Pallywood
    https://youtu.be/umhy9LnorKQ

.

• Abdul Keddou

Excellent video. Daily Californian is also a willing accomplice in spreading Islamist propaganda. DC has plunged to the level of Rolling Stone when they reported that phony “gang rape” at U of Virginia a few years back.

• lolwut?

Pallywood: “a settler ran over children as they were coming out of a mosque after prayer”

https://youtu.be/ByWWp5cwlso

.

• lolwut?

The San Bernardino jihad attack and jihad denial

.

• lolwut?

“Islamophobia,” Appeasement, and Infiltration

https://youtu.be/eyvoz890DWs

.

.

• lolwut?

The Basics of Islam: Robert Spencer on “Islamophobia”

.

• lolwut?
  • Abdul Keddou

Another PHONY “Islamophobia” claim. The person who reported Makhzoomi was alsoArabic-speaking and said his comments were threatening: http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2016/04/southwest-airlines-provides-new-details-on-college-student-removed-from-plane-after-speaking-arabic.html/ “A Southwest Airlines passenger who overheard a college student’s conversation also spoke Arabic and perceived the comments to be threatening, according to a new Southwest Airlines statement.

• lspanker

Statement: Flight 4620 from Los Angeles (LAX) to Oakland (OAK) on April 6

A passenger onboard flight 4620 requested that our Crew investigate what were perceived to be threatening comments made by another passenger onboard. Both passengers involved in the situation spoke a shared language, Arabic. Our Crew responded by following protocol, as required by federal law, to investigate and report to law enforcement agencies any potential threat to civil aviation. It was the content of the passenger’s conversation, not the language used, that prompted the report leading to our investigation. Once the report was made, an Arabic-speaking Southwest Manager at LAX participated in the decision to request the passenger leave the aircraft and continue the conversation in the gate area. We provided the passenger an immediate refund of his unused ticket. Federal law enforcement agents became involved and conducted their own investigation. We would like the opportunity to speak with Mr. Makhzoomi further about his experience and have reached out to him several times.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2016/04/southwest-airlines-provides-new-details-on-college-student-removed-from-plane-after-speaking-arabic.html/

• Abdul Keddou

Daily Californian loses ALL journalistic credibility on this one. Just like Rolling Stone on the phony UVA “gang rape”.

• lspanker

Unfortunately, this seems to be par for the course for the Daily Cal – and of course, the usual hysterical who accused us of being “racist” for our expressed skepticism of the original story will never admit that once again, they were punked.

• beaminup

Or the 270 Million people killed by Islamic Jihadists over 1400 years, enough to almost eliminate the entire USA country.

• beaminup

I was wondering what happened to your comment. I looked for it and couldn’t find it. Glad you reposted it.

• Contrarians

Except the female passenger who reported him could speak Arabic according to the airline. You’re the one bringing the ill informed stereotypes to this situation, not me. I urged caution, because the story had to many gaps, and it was too early to know the full story. It’s not me being unreasonable and racist…it is you with you ill-informed, knee-jerk assumptions based in a political ideology. You lose.

• Shane Park

She didn’t speak Arabic, she spoke Tamil. And can you provide the source where she was a fluent speaker of Arabic? All the sources I see are about her speaking Tamil, which is not even close to Arabic. And she knew some Arabic, but not even close to enough to understand a full conversation.

• Observe_Wonder

more stuff coming out. publicity stunt? https://twitter.com/KhairyMakhzoomi
    he also said “‘This is what Islamophobia got this country into,’. Was it not, according to the article’s title, because he was speaking arabic? you can speak arabic and not be a muslim. so why bring up the religion? Oh, maybe because he mentioned Allah? Then it would be for speaking arabic and being muslim and maybe the content of whatever he was overheard by another arabic speaker? It is all he says, she says. So if we believe him, we must believe the other part. Or not believe any. In summary, we need to try not to take sides with limited amounts of information.
    People keep accusing others of being racists. Race is not an issue here.

• lspanker

Race of course is not the real issue here, but the people who perpetuate this type of nonsense know damn well that the way to get all the dumb bunny brainwashed college students upset is to scream “racism” first. Apparently logic and critical thinking skills are no longer taught either in out K-12 public schools or at the college/university level. It’s all about public displays of indignation to let others know that you are on the Politically Correct side of a given issue.

• Angel

Seems to
    me he was looking for a fight. In the climate that we live in, the bombings,
    the heinous murders, the threats. Why would you get on a plane and speak Arabic.
    And why should the airline and the passengers not air on the side of caution.
    You gave no thought for anyone but yourself, well thank GOD the airline is
    willing to go the distance to protect its passengers. Given the climate that we
    live in you are not dumb you know full well that there are credible threats that
    this nation and many foreign countries are having to deal with. How suspect you
    get on a plane and suddenly instead of speaking English you chose to speak Arabic.
    And people are dumb enough to take your side anything to create attention.

• loki asguardian

You do realise you are living on a land that was stolen from native americans and the language you speak”English” is forced upon people worldwide? how would you feel if you travelled on an airplane to China and you were forced to leave for speaking in English. Terrorism is a concept that has nothing to do with Islam and has nothing to do with arabic. People of any religious, social, or political ideology can be terrorists. The tactic that the founding fathers used in the American revolution was a form of Terrorism.

• lspanker

You do realise you are living on a land that was stolen from native
        americans

Yawn.

and the language you speak”English” is forced upon people
        worldwide?

Who is English being “forced upon” again?

The tactic that the founding fathers used in the American revolution was a form of Terrorism.

Sources and cites, please. Did you learn this nonsense in your Peace and Conflict Studies class or what?

• loki asguardian

dude do you see who you are defending! he said: “In the climate that we live in, the bombings, the heinous murders, the threats. Why would you get on a plane and speak Arabic.”
          Thats racist!!!

• lspanker

No, that’s his personal opinion… yet even still, this Makhzoomi @rse-clown did NOT get kicked off for speaking Arabic, but (for the zillionth time now, sheesh!) MAKING THREATENING REMARKS. Get over it – you fell for yet another racial hoax, and got punked.

• loki asguardian

Why is it so hard for you to consider that racism is still a huge problem in this country?

• lspanker

Because it’s not, and the people screaming that it is are either for the most part professional victim wanna-bes or political hacks. You really think you’re a victim of racism? How so?

• Angel

In knowing ones enemies you start by learning everything about them, their language, their actions, and their intent. Majority of the jihadist are mostly middle eastern individuals or they are of middle eastern descent. And yes to kill us all (including Muslims), they recruit foreigners also to carry out their destruction. Now, do we not know that Arabic is their main language? Do we not know that before they set off their bombs they scream whatever they have to say in Arabic? Am I misinformed? Knowing all that the authorities know what exactly do you want them and the airlines to do so as not to offend the Muslim community? Should the airlines including Southwest not protect the souls in their care including the Muslim passengers? Should they not do everything in their power to prevent any plane from being blown up in mid-air?

Would you prefer they stick their head in the sand out of fear that you are going to talk about them on social media and scream about people signing petition? Out of fear of offending the Muslim community should they look the other way? The next flight when a bomber is on it speaking should the other passenger keep their mouth shut and have the plane blown up and every soul lost including Muslim families because they were trying not to offend the Muslim community?

Pick your battles and when you do be sure to count the cost to your own household. Mark my words when they look the other way you just might be on that plane with your love ones. What is your choice? They search and escort off the plane and we all live, they do not search, leave the individuals on the plane and we are all slaughtered again including Muslim families.

As for racism, sorry I cannot help you with that thought process. I am black, a person born on an island. The story is my ancestors werethe slaves that gave the most trouble; and so they dropped them off on the island where the worst treatment of slaves took place, to break their fighting spirit. Yes I am the descendant of slaves; I do not judge any person by the color of their skin but by the content of their heart. But what I do know how to do is learn my enemies ways and use the information to beat my enemy, it is called good leadership, not racism.

• John

Ban Ki-moon’s last name is Ban, not Ki-moon http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/10/world/ban-ki-moon—fast-facts/

• beaminup

Thank you! Well put. I’m tired of so many individuals going off like they know the details. Just because someone says this is what happened does not mean we should believe them. Criminals never almost never admit to doing anything wrong. If we just took them at their word nobody would be in jail.

• Justin Peace

We all see the Advertisements ” See Something say Something ” What is the Sense of it?

• beaminup

Well put.

• Howard Poindexter

Writes at huffpo. That tells you all you need to know.

• Craig H

Why does this article fail to mention, as noted by his version of events in the New York Times, that he was talking about ISIS with his uncle, specifically in regards to the dinner he attended and a question he posed on the Islamic State?

Let me repeat that – he’s admitted he was mentioning ISIS to his uncle, in Arabic, on a plane. And someone overheard those comments because what kind of an idiot openly talks in Arabic about a Muslim group that likes to blow up planes…on a plane.

• lspanker

For the same reason that this same site conveniently leaves out the descriptions of violent criminals preying on Cal students if they happen to be of a certain race. The Daily Cal has made it quite clear, both in their op-ed pieces as well as their editorial policies, that they will omit certain pieces of information if they lead the reader to form opinions not in concordance with their own worldview.

• Some Guy

Waaah. What a little instigator. You always couldn’t say Bomb on a plane. ME’s are synonymous with Bombs so it is just logic. Public transportation is not the place for Muslims to practice religion. Thanks to the Radical Muslims and the Regular Muslim silence regarding radicals, speaking Arabic or saying the word Allah on an airplane is like saying Bomb. People that cherish life will agree.

• Shane Park

For all of you Trump fans saying Southwest did the right thing, here are some things to think about:
    1) The woman didn’t even speak Arabic, and she assumed out of all things he said something he obviously didn’t. If he was doing something ACTUALLY suspicous, that isn’t islamophobia. but it wasn’t. For example, if I was speaking with my mom in Korean, and I say something that the flight attendant assumes I say something about NK even though she can’t even speak the language, is it logical to call the security? No.
    2) Even after the airline had enough proof to conclude he wasn’t a terrorist, they called the FBI. Like really, WTF is this.

• Shane Park

And the word that means matyr in Arabic means things totally different in other languages. So unless she heard something about terrorist plans in arabic (which she didn’t) she did the stupid thing.

• viking116

I presume, then, that you were there? Since you seem to have ABSOLUTE knowledge of the incident, with no imagination involved?

• loki asguardian

i second that

• lspanker

You miss the point. He didn’t really get kicked off the plane for speaking Arabic. There’s more to this story than that, but you brain-dead little PC drones are more interested in making knee-jerk statements about alleged “racism” than finding out the other side of the story.

• lspanker

For all of you Trump fans saying Southwest did the right thing

The facts are out. Southwest DID do the right thing. And if all the people who smelled a rat when the Daily Cal first ran this story ARE indeed Trump supporters, it would seem to indicate that Trump is attracting voters who are less likely to be pranked than the average Berkeley student.

• lspanker

Yeah sorry, I actually know how the real world works, a h*ll of a lot
    more than you do. I’m not the one who is denying the existence of
    racism here

I never “denied the existence of racism” – that you insist on such is simply proof that either you’re a liar or have pathetically poor English comprehension skills. I expressed my sincere doubts that racism was behind THIS incident, and given the information that’s coming out that indicates your poor little victim may have indeed made verbal threats to the flight crew, I can fully understand why he was kicked off the plane.

• dwss5

First sentence of article:
    “On April 6, UC Berkeley senior Khairuldeen Makhzoomi was supposed to fly from Los Angeles to Oakland, get to campus and go to class.”

Actually, it’s fairly easy to see that Makhzoomi also addresses himself as the offendi’ed _Al_ Makhzoomi.
    For example,
    – in his LinkedIn profile http://www.linkedin.com/in/khairuldeen-al-makhzoomi-4b446098
    – specific mention in the Cal course ‘The Modern Middle East & ISIS’ http://www.decal.org/4034 (Prof. Darren C. Zook as faculty sponsor of Al Makhzoomi)

• viking116

Course description sounds like straight-up propaganda.

• lspanker

LBJ, his Great Society, and his handling of the war in Southeast Asia was a DISASTER for this country. You’re clearly out to lunch in your assessment of our recent presidents…

• JMP

The intervention in Vietnam’s civil war was an awful decision – but one that LBJ himself does not deserve all the blame for, since it began under Eisenhower and continued under JFK, and was supported by the entire foreign policy elite of the US based on the ridiculous “domino theory”. But the Great Society was, well, great, and if you claim it was not then you are as ignorant about history as with the present.

All of LBJ’s domestic policies were great successes. He gave us the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, immigration reform, Medicare, Medicaid, Head Start, food stamps – all great things that have made America a much better place. He’s on par with FDR for the greatest domestic accomplishments of any President, and only after him for greatest President of the 20th Century because he didn’t win WWII.

And Obama is definitely the best President sine LBJ; in the meantime, we had two middling conservative Democrats and two middling Republicans, and then we had the criminal Nixon and the two far-right Republicans who were utter disasters for this country Reagan and W. Bush. These vile little failures did everything they could to ruin everything good in America, and we still haven’t finished getting over the great damage they causes. The economy is still reeling from the recessions caused by the deregulation they championed, and we don’t have the money for nice things thanks to their stealing money from the government to give away to the rich. So yeah, I know recent history, and Obama is definitely the best President since LBJ.

• Bond Summers

Clock boy did a stupid thing, worthy of getting expelled. He knew he made that to look like a bomb. He was looking for a payday. If a white-euro kid did that he’d be considered an idiot too and probably get equal disciplinary action.

• JMP

Really. He knew that he made the clock to look like a bomb. He wanted to get the school to act all racist towards him, because – ? Really, this is what idiots actually say. That is just completely insane. And no, you know damn well a white kid who did the same would get no disciplinary action.

• lspanker

He was not kicked off….to appease the fear of idiots on the plane, they chose not to let him continue travel on that plane.

That’s like saying that you weren’t fired from your job, you were merely terminated.

• Andy

“On what planet do you spend most of your time? Trying to have a conversation with you would be like trying to argue with a dining room table… I have no interest in doing it.” — Barney Frank

No need to converse with you anymore. I can have a better conversation with the tree outside.

• lspanker

In other words, you think you might actually be able to win an argument with the tree, correct?

• lspanker

Heard of GamerGate, had idea what it was about and no interest in looking it up. The others? No idea. See, I’m not a hater or misogynist, so you’re going to have to invent some other accusation to smear me with…

• Salvaknows

Southwest is liable for discriminative practices performed by its employees on the normal course of their duties. Corporations best learn when you hit their pockets. Since the airliner refunded the ticket, it is possible to file a lawsuit asking for “punitive damages”. The judge, in such a case, assess the right amount of money that could be a deterrent for the plaintiff to keep performing in such a shameful way. Even though this guy sounds like a really cool man, asking for only an apology, allows the airliner to keep performing unlawfully and carry on with Islamophobic practices. This sort of humiliation has to stop.

• lspanker

Khairuldeen Makhzoomi is going to have a hard time proving “discriminatory practices” if what is alleged elsewhere – that he made threatening remarks – turns out to be true.

• Fox Patriot ✘

“I’m 40”

Bless.

• Fox Patriot ✘

” Planned Parenthood clinic,”

LOL. Anti-abortion violence in USA is a minor threat:8 dead+17 wounded since early 90s. Compared to Muslim terror? Literally non-existent.

Get a grip.

• lspanker

In addition, almost NOBODY defends those who it, and in fact they denounce such violence as anti-Christian. When was the last time you saw a big mass of Muslims protesting a suicide bombing or stoning. Sure, it happens on occasion, but not with any frequency that suggests the vast majority of Muslims are willing to make a stand against it?

• Nunya

So if a gay baker refused to bake a cake for a muslim, who’s side are you on?

• California Girl

My comment seems to have been deleted, though I believe it is on topic and respectful: “As a Cal alumna, as well as an Arabic-speaking daughter of Iraqi immigrants, I am disappointed in both the Daily Cal coverage of this incident and Mr. Makhzoomi’s behavior. IF your conversation had truly been a simple call to your uncle, I would be as outraged as you are pretending to be. However, after reading several different news outlets’ takes on this story, there are a few important facts that have been left out of this Daily Cal rendition. According to other news sources (see Washington Post for example), your conversation with your uncle included talking about “ISIS” as well as the UN and major political figures. How silly are you to think that talking about ISIS–in any language–is not going to cause concern amongst fellow passengers on an airplane that is about to take off? (especially when conducted in a foreign language, so that while the red-flag words like, “ISIS” are perfectly understandable, none of the rest of the conversation is.) Or perhaps you think the public is so stupid as to not see through this silly stunt? Sure, some may argue that someone with half a brain and actual bad intentions would not so ignorantly call attention to themselves by doing something so stupid on a plane, however bad intentions or not, it was not the right place or time to discuss ISIS. Stop wasting media time and space on this. There is a great deal of real discrimination going on everyday — this incident is not an example of it.” [Note, I deleted the word “idiotic” in case that was deemed too harsh}

• lspanker

My comment seems to have been deleted

Your comment is still here (I gave it an upvote myself). Check your sorting filters…

• California Girl

Oops. It disappeared on my side. Sorry about the double post then. I thought maybe it was considered too pointed as originally written.

• lspanker

Your post is quite reasonable by most standards. There are simply a few hypersensitive readers who can’t handle differences of opinions as grown adults.

• viking116

Great post and thanks for re-posting as I missed it the first time.

• lspanker

Looks like your suspicions have been proven correct. Good call, and great post.

• loki asguardian

Just because you talk about ISIS does not necessarily mean you are an ISIS supporter! If he is an Iraqi citizen it makes since that he would be talking about them given the turmoil they are causing in his region of the world. That does not make him automatically make him a terrorist! To me, it is not that different as a white person talking about Donald trump. Furthermore, if a white person was talking about ISIS on the plane as part of a political discussion, I don’t think she/he would have received the same treatment.

• lspanker

Just because you talk about ISIS does not necessarily mean you are an ISIS supporter!

Common sense dictates that you in an environment where people are super-sensitive about a subject, you don’t bring it up when you don’t need to. Even my brother and I knew as kids, DECADES before 9/11, that you don’t talk, joke, make comments about bombs, guns, terrorist groups or ANYTHING along that lines. Where does a supposedly grown man think he can just make comments like that and not generate attention, then get angry and confrontational when someone calls him on it?

• loki asguardian

I agree that it is not the best setting to talking about ISIS, but that doesn’t mean it illegal to talk about it neither is it grounds for detention. Also talking about ISIS does not necessarily equal saying: “I have a bomb” or “Im gonna Hurt someone”, etc; if he said something like that then his detention would have been justified, but I honestly don’t believe that he did and I have yet to see the exact words he used in any report.
          Logically if you were a terrorist who managed to get through security and then onto the plane would you brag about your intentions before the plane even took off. That wouldn’t make sense.. why jeopardize your mission by outing yourself? Thus, I think that South west is releasing enough tid bits of information to muddy the waters and make themselves look better but I still think that this Gentleman’s civil rights were violated.

• lspanker

I agree that it is not the best setting to talking about ISIS, but that
            doesn’t mean it illegal to talk about it neither is it grounds for
            detention.

He was questioned and released, so exactly what is your problem again?

I still think that this Gentleman’s civil rights were violated.

Based on what?

• loki asguardian

Not enough reasonable suspicion for detention nor removal from the plane. If i was walking with a friend talking about ISIS and a cop asked me for ID, Terry V Ohio says I dont have to show it to him and I should be allowed to go on with my business.

• lspanker

Not enough reasonable suspicion for detention nor removal from the plane.

He was removed for getting involved in a “complicated political discussion” (which sounds like an argument to most people) AND making threatening remarks – neither which is are good things do do when a flight crew is trying to get out of the gate and make their alotted time slot for takeoff. He’s either a complete idiot or itching for a confrontation, possibly both.

• loki asguardian

What were the threatening remarks? If I said: “I want to blow X up”, then that would be grounds for detention. If I said: “I think Obama is a terrible president” ,and got in a political argument about it, thats first amendment protected speech. Its context sensitive.

• lspanker

Nobody outside the parties involved knows what those particular threatening remarks were, nor does it any away affect the Pilot In Command’s decision to remove him from the flight, which is in his authority per FAA regulations. The last thing the commercial aviation industry needs is another junior lawyer wannabe, who has NO firsthand knowledge of the situation, vested authority, or accountability for the overall safety of the flight, second-guessing airline pilots.

• loki asguardian

Once again you believe that security in this context is more important than liberty, I disagree and I believe that the constitution agrees with me. Plus I am still certain that it would have gone down differently if the victim was white. The incident was fueled by racial stereotypes, thats my assessment.

• lspanker

Once again you believe that security in this context is more important than liberty

It’s not an issue of “liberty”. When you choose to fly commercial, your purchase of an airline ticket is an agreement that you will abide by airline and FAA rules and regulations.

I believe that the constitution agrees with me

Wonderful. Show me a link to any decision in a federal court that prevents the pilot of an aircraft from exercising his/her authority over the airplane and its passengers as outlined in FAA regulations. You simply can’t.

Plus I am still certain that it would have gone down differently if the victim was white.

White people who argue with, or threaten flight crew members, get forcibly removed from airplanes all the time. YouTube has dozens of videos documenting white people who did dumb stuff and got tossed off the plane. You’re absolutely desperate to turn this into a racial issue when it was never one to begin with.

• loki asguardian

Im still sure that it is. And where’s the youtube video for this incident? I think that the converse is true. I think that you are desperate to not make this about race because that would force you to consider your privilege. But this is getting petty this will be my last comment, you can have the last word if you want. Its obvious we come to any agreement.

• lspanker

Im still sure that it is.

Most likely because you see every conflict between a person of European descent and of non-European descent as a “racial” conflict, right?

I think that you are desperate to not make this about race because that would force you to consider your privilege.

What “privilege” is that? You make silly accusations you can’t even back up.

But this is getting petty this will be my last comment

About time, since you were only making a complete fool of yourself.

• lspanker

Im still sure that it is. And where’s the youtube video for this incident?

No idea if there is one or not – how does that make a difference?

WHAT privilege? The privilege of not being born as a hot-headed idiot who gets on planes and causes trouble?

• Babyboomer1945

I do sympathise with this young man who was a victim of circumstances. His lady passenger was well within her “if you see (or hear) something, say something” instructions provided by all our government. The fact that she didn’t speak arabic was not her short-coming. That fact that his uncle did was his short-coming. Stop calling each other names and casting doubt about a situation that most of you would have found at least uncomfortable had you been there. A minority of people have cast huge dispursions on the rest of their culture and that is most unfortunate. Until that majority gains the respect and confidence from the rest of the world by purging their ranks of the bad apples these situations will continue to flourish. No apology is necessary from the airline who are doing all they can to protect passengers well-being. The tarmac is no place for political debates….

• California Girl

As a Cal alumna, as well as an Arabic-speaking daughter of Iraqi immigrants, I am disappointed in both the Daily Cal coverage of this incident and Mr. Makhzoomi’s idiotic behavior. IF your conversation had truly been a simple call to your uncle, I would be as outraged as you are pretending to be. However, after reading several different news outlets’ takes on this story, there are a few important facts that have been left out of this Daily Cal rendition. According to other news sources, your conversation with your uncle included talking about “ISIS” as well as the UN and major political figures. How stupid are you to think that talking about ISIS–in any language–is not going to cause concern amongst fellow passengers on an airplane that is about to take off? (especially when conducted in a foreign language, so that while the red-flag words like, “ISIS” are perfectly understandable, none of the rest of the conversation is.) Or perhaps you think the public is so stupid as to not see through this silly stunt? Sure, some may argue that someone with half a brain and actual bad intentions would not so ignorantly call attention to themselves by doing something so stupid on a plane, however bad intentions or not, you deserved to get kicked off that flight for your idiocy alone. Stop wasting media time and space on this. There is a great deal of real discrimination going on everyday — this incident is not an example of it.

• lspanker

IF your conversation had truly been a simple call to your uncle, I would be as outraged as you are pretending to be. However, after reading several different news outlets’ takes on this story, there are a few important facts that have been left out of this Daily Cal rendition.

This is an ongoing issue with the Daily Cal. Political Correctness carried to an extreme results in relevant information being filtered out of the discussion, which serves nobody in the end except those who prey on the naive and gullible.

• dwss5

California Girl wrote:

As a Cal alumna, as well as an Arabic-speaking daughter of Iraqi immigrants, I am disappointed in both the Daily Cal coverage of this incident and Mr. Makhzoomi’s idiotic behavior. IF your conversation had truly been a simple call to your uncle, I would be as outraged as you are pretending to be. However, after reading several different news outlets’ takes on this story, there are a few important facts that have been left out of this Daily Cal rendition.

Yep, I agree, and have already forwarded other news outlets’ takes on this story to other interested parties.

California Girl wrote further:
      “Stop wasting media time and space on this. There is a great deal of real discrimination going on everyday — this incident is not an example of it.”

Not only is there a clearly visible waste of media time and space on this [questionable incident], but I think there is also a decided AGENDA within both the one-sided article itself as well as within most of the more Politically Correct thumbs-up commentators here.

• lspanker

That’s the reason some of us held off from jumping to the conclusion that Southwest Airlines is teeming with racists. This was too convenient of a story line for someone with a clear agenda to peddle, with no input regarding the other side of the story.

• erravi

ive met this person and he sends threatening emails to those who dont agree with him. I have no doubt he made inflammatory remarks over the phone.

• lspanker

Interesting…

• beaminup

Makes me wonder if there isn’t a case to be made against him, instead of an apology. If you pander to this nonsense the next guy will demand more.

• beaminup

Assuming that wheat erravi is completely true.

• maddy

America: making xenophobia and racism a corporate sport. Jeez, guys, get it together. This is pretty revolting.

• lspanker

“Southwest Airlines claims that Makhzoomi used threatening language.”

https://www.everipedia.com/khairuldeen-makhzoomi/

• maddy

‘Inshallah’ is not threatening. That was just someone being racist and xenophobic.

• viking116

Again, WERE YOU THERE? If not, you know LESS than the Southwest Airlines personnel.

• lspanker

Again, WERE YOU THERE?

These idiot children don’t care about facts or logic. Their small skulls have been stuffed full of PC drivel, so they scream “racism” whenever they don’t understand how things roll in the real world…

• viking116

“maddy” should be changed to “dummy.”

• erravi

I know this person and he makes threatening comments to people on a regular basis and via emails. Eyewitness accounts say that his comments were inflammatory.

• viking116

Great you spoke up. I’m sure the personnel at the airlines just wanted to get on with their workday. Just another example of a dishonest Muslim scamming the system–like the welfare rapefugees in Europe–and the libs around here being too dumb to see anything but harem rainbows.

• lspanker

He didn’t get in trouble for saying “inshallah”, so stop being silly. He apparently had an attitude before he got on the plane, given that he has allegedly tweeted “F— Southwest” before he got on the plane. The [email protected] chose to butt heads with a crewmember and got what should be expected…

• Gregory-Francis Desmarais

Boycott Southwest!!

• Fox Patriot ✘

Please do.

• FlameCCT

I’m curious why a 26 y/o man would wait until after boarding an aircraft, when phones are supposed to be turned off, to call his uncle. He would have had more time calling after the conference or even while waiting for his flight.

I’m also curious if he is a member of the UC Berkeley Muslim student organizations that harass other students that oppose Sharia or perhaps a member of CAIR. The same CAIR that is an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Lands trial and supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, and other terrorist organizations.

This sounds more like a set-up to me instead of some supposedly innocent error.

• JMP

Hahahhahaha. Oh, it’s crazy conspiracy theory time! And let’s just make up a whole lot of slander in order to attack good organizations while we’re at it. Here’s a clue: CAIR defends American Muslims against discrimination, and it certainly does not support terrorism and god that is just the most insane bit of nonsense I’ve read in ages.

• FlameCCT

Nice try at deflection but total fail.

Perhaps you need a clue. CAIR was an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land Foundation Terror-Financing Trial and supported the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas. Plenty of court documents and convictions from the trial.

Truly sad that you believe propaganda.

• JMP

Hahahhahahhahahha. What’s next, Obama was really born in Kenya? 9/11 was an inside job? All the scientists in the world made up climate change? The moon landing was faked? The world is only 6,000 years old and Adam and Eve and Noah’s Ark were real? Vaccines cause autism?

Hahahahahahaha!

• FlameCCT

We appreciate you demonstrating the ignorance of a Progressive Plantation serf.
            Now run along child, your elitist master is calling.

• JMP

Oh, now you’re invoking plantations to attack people for being against bigotry. That’s both insane and offensive. Guess what, it’s liberals who fought to end slavery, and fighting against the sort of racism you are supporting is a continuation of that.

And then comparing progressives to serfs with masters? Huh? You know, there is a political ideology that supports making the wealthy our elitist masters, and turning everyone else into peasants controlled by them – and it’s called conservatism. They’re the ones who oppose every regulation designed to prevent big business from controlling our lives, and think government should never do its most basic job and help its’ people because they think it’s unfair to ask the rich to pay their fair share of taxers. Your analogy is the exact opposite of the truth!

Now why don’t you leave the discussion to the actual adults, not the little racist babies like you? Guess what, being a bigot does not make you an adult, anymore than opposing bigotry makes people children. That just makes no sense whatsoever.

• lspanker

Oh, now you’re invoking plantations to attack people for being against bigotry. That’s both insane and offensive. Guess what, it’s liberals who fought to end slavery

Southern Democrats supported slavery and Jim Crow, Republicans opposed it. Your amateurish attempts at political revisionism will not fly with those who know better.

• JMP

Yes, and we’ll just ignore the entire Southern Strategy and how the conservative Dixiecrats joined the Republican party. Really, maybe you could try having an actual original though? I mean, there’s a reason “but the Southern Democrats mean modern liberals are the real racists!” has become a cliche caricature of the conservative racism defenders, and it’s actually been a while since I’ve seen someone trot that one out sincerely.

What’s next in the stupid debunked cliche book – “Robert Byrd was in the KKK when he was you, ignoring how he repudiated and apologized for it many times, therefore liberals are the real racists?” How about “But some of my best friends are black therefore I can’t be racist!” Really, this is just pathetic.

• lspanker

Yes, and we’ll just ignore the entire Southern Strategy and how the conservative Dixiecrats joined the Republican party.

Racist segregationists such as Albert Gore Sr, William Fulbright, and Robert KKK Byrd remained Democrats to the end. Very few Democrats switched parties – go play your silly game elsewhere.

• JMP

Hey look, the bigot even pulled the Robert Byrd cliche, right after I predicted it! This bigot does not have an original thought in its’ wrinkled old broken brain, does it?

• lspanker

Hey look, the bigot even pulled the Robert Byrd cliche

It’s factually correct, not cliche. Your tired tactics aren’t working.

• JMP

Hahahahhahha. Tired cliche talking points that have been debunked millions of times are ‘factually correct’, sure. And people who still pull out that BS don’t all prove themselves to be idiots by trotting them out. The bigoted troll should just keep telling itself that, then it won’t realize what a fool it keeps making of itself.

• lspanker

Tired cliche talking points that have been debunked millions of times are ‘factually correct’, sure.

Robert Byrd, William Fulbright, and Al Gore Sr, were Democrats until the day they died. Those facts haven’t been “debunked” by anyone. You’re losing it, buddy.

• JMP

Hahahahas. I’m, losing it, right. Because Robert Byrd was a Democrat until the day he died – though he was not a segregationist until then, which is a rather important part to leave out. There’s a reason you now usually only hear “but Robert Byrd!” cliche when liberals are parodying the stupid defenders of racism. Someone doesn’t know when he’s talked himself into a hole, does he? Don’t worry, I’m laughing at you, not with you, old man.

• FlameCCT

Perhaps you should learn some history. It was Republicans who fought to end slavery and racism. It was Progressive Democrat that used Jim Crow laws to further their plantation ideology and racism. It was Progressive Democrat Wilson that brought Jim Crow laws nationally and segregated the federal government. It was Progressive Democrats that fought against Civil Rights legislation. It was Progressive Democrats that denied MLK his 2nd Amendment Rights.

Now run along child, back to your safe space on the Progressive Plantation.

• JMP

Oh look, it’s the exact same debunked cliches that lspanker already brought up! It’s the stupid historical lying of pretending that liberals and the Democratic party have always been the same thing, so that somehow any historical racism by conservative Democrats somehow makes modern conservative Republican racism OK. Yeah, sorry, but spouting long-debunked cliches like that just proves that one is incapable of original thought, and

Now run along old man, and just think about how nice it is that there are a lot less racists like you among the younger generations, how the vast majority of bigots are very old and their ideology is dying, as has been proven by a black President being elected twice, in two landslides, and doing a very good job at it, being the best President of my lifetime (and I’m 40 years old). America is becoming a much better place as diversity increases, as we get closer to white people no longer being the majority and a much greater portion of the white populace are not small-minded bigots but instead appreciate the diverse country that we are and recognize the equality of all.

Bye bye, bigots!

• FlameCCT

Your ignorance and bigotry is showing but please continue with the Progressive propaganda. I almost pity people like you. Unlike you, my family was heavily involved with the Underground Railroad on one side and immigrant on the other. We not only lived the history but learned from it.

Now run along, back to your elitist masters.

• Fox Patriot ✘

OK, I get it now. You’re a parody account. Good job.

• lspanker

Bye bye, bigots!

Does that mean you’re quitting the discussion? That ought to raise the average IQ here by about 20-30 points…

• JMP

Oh no, the racist dummy is calling me stupid, oh I am so hurt by this!

And no, I’m saying bye bye to the bigots in the long run, because there are not many of you left and their ideology is thankfully dying. It’s not the bigots’ country anymore.

• Fox Patriot ✘

“crazy conspiracy theory time!”

Come on. Why don’t you address the curious coincidence of his 4/4 tweet regarding his anger at a story about Muslims getting ejected from a plane, and the fact that he gets ejected from a plane mere 2 days later after doing his best to create the incident.

It is simply stupid to presume he had no malicious intent without first examining all facts of the matter.

• lspanker

That’s the way that lefties roll – THEIR chosen protagonist never has any malicious intent, it’s always everyone else.

• Fox Patriot ✘

I contacted on twitter most MSM journos from outlets that printed stories on this hoax (WaPo, NYT, Al-Qu’ardian) with facts about his twitter feed and especially the IMO newsworthy 4/4 tweet and his suspiciously combative behavior on April 6th.

Only the Guardian guy responded, you can read the exchange here

https://twitter.com/FoxPatriotX/status/721863223281119232

• Kimberly Gastauer

Did you have earlier dealings with that gentleman from the Guardian? Just curious, cause his responses seem very abrupt. Thought there may be an interesting back story there!?!?

• JMP

He purposefully goaded those racists into acting racist against him! Hahahahha. Really, that’s what you’re claiming. Never mind that what matters here is how he was treated; even if your ridiculous scenario was true, that doesn’t make how the airline and authorities treated him sopmehow OK.

Remember recently, when a Muslim kid in Texas brought a dissected clock to school, and the racist administrators and cops decided to detain and suspend him, claiming that they thought it was a bomb? There were actually a bunch of racism-defending idiots who decided to claim that he intentionally got himself suspended, by making the administrators act racist against him. Really, people were so dumb they actually made that claim. What you are saying here sounds a lot like that, that is how ridiculousness it is.

• Fox Patriot ✘

LOL. You really couldn’t make this up.

• JMP

Nope, you couldn’t. But thanks for the laughs!

• Fox Patriot ✘

You’re very welcome, dear. God knows you need them.

• lspanker

LOL. You really couldn’t make this up.

He wins the Basil Fawlty Award for debate, that’s for sure.

• lspanker

He purposefully goaded those racists into acting racist against him!

He argued with the flight crew and made threatening comments, winning him a little chit-chat session with J Edgar Hoover’s boys. It was his own arrogance, bad temper and stupidity that got him kicked off the flight, not some secret cabal of Southwest Klan members.

Really now, you’re a complete fruit-loop.

• JMP

But now, let us return to a little place called reality from lspanker’s little fantasy world, where racism doesn’t exist but instead is all just both invented by the victim and they were asking for it, anyway.

• lspanker

But now, let us return to a little place called reality from lspanker’s little fantasy world, where racism doesn’t exist

The problem with your little story line is that I never said such a thing. I merely pointed out – and quite correctly, now that more facts are coming in – that the article as presented in the Daily Cal was quite incomplete and only told one side of the story. Turns out that Southwest Airlines has reported that the individual used threatening language. However, you’re SO stuck on stupid, and DESPERATE to arrive at the conclusion that Southwest Airlines is full of racists that hate Arabs/Muslims that you need to lie, obfuscate, and distort what others say at every turn. All the signs of a rather disturbed individual with serious issues…

• JMP

Yes, I’m desperate, right, you’re not the one desperate to make the world safe for open expressions of racism by declating “how dare you call this racist!” and spewing forth ridiculous lies every time there is an obvious incident of racism, sure you are.

Oh, and pointing out that someone else is lying is pointing out the truth – that’s not lying or obfuscating, but the exact opposite. Lying and obfuscating are what you are doing. Try learning what words mean before using them!But hey, I’ll stay here in the real world, instead of bigot land where we allow racism to go unchecked by pretending it doesn’t exist while blaming the victim at the same time.

• lspanker

Once again, you’re apparently way too ignorant to know that getting in an argument with an aircrew member and using threatening language on a commercial airliner is a sure-fire way to get your @ss removed from the flight. But hey, keep pounding your chest and claim I made certain claims, when I have stated the exact opposite nearly a half a dozen times where I stand on this issue. You’re too stupid to know when you have lost the argument…

• JMP

“You’re too stupid to know when you have lost the argument…”

Hahahaha. It’s always projection, isn’t it? There must be some spark of self awareness in lspanker’s subconscious that realize they’ve lost the argument, but it’s conscious mind won’t accept that, so it accuses me of what they are actually experiencing, the poor stupid old bigot.

• lspanker

Hahahaha. It’s always projection, isn’t it?

You started the projection by calling others “racists” and “bigots” merely because they questioned the party line on this story. Funny, however, that you’re ignoring the additional information coming out that indicates your poor little victim buddy got in an argument with the crew and made threatening comments…

• JMP

Yeah, no, I’m calling people bigots because they defend bigotry, and that’s it. We’ve all seen this before, where whenever there’s an incident of racism defenders immediately spring up to shout “how dare you call that racist!” and deny the existence of racism, because they actually think racism is OK and should go unchallenged. And hey, they also always eventually claim some bullshit “additional information” makes the whole incident perfectly OK! It happens all the time, with racism, with homophobia, with misogyny, with the rape apologists who accuse every high profile rape victim of making it up.

And you know what? Just like here, every single time, they’re wrong; every time, there really was racism in the incident. The racism defenders – or anti-anti-racists, as some call them – love to spin their claims that we should doubt all talk of racism, that every time someone points out a racist incident, it’s really just “playing the race card” and claiming there is no actual racism there, that the people pointing out the racism are lying for some reason. Yet every single time, that turns out to be BS; every time, there is actual racism there, no one has ever gotten called out for racism unless they were actually acting racist. But the racism defenders keep lying and claiming “victory” even though every single time the racism is real.

So yeah, I know whenever someone comes up with “how dare you say this obvious incident of racism is racist!” BS, they are defending racism because they are themselves bigots. That’s the way it always works, every time. And they all act the same old way, use the same old cliches, and always prove themselves to have no clue what they’re talking about while claiming superiority.

• lspanker

Yeah, no, I’m calling people bigots because they defend bigotry, and that’s it.

Which I have never done. You LIE about what I have stated, even when I have corrected you on numerous occasions. It’s clear that you lie and distort because you can’t win the argument.

• JMP

No! I have not once lied about what you stated, at all. I have pointed out your lies! But hey, good job engaging in projection again, and declaring that you have won an argument after you’ve lost it!

• lspanker

We’ve all seen this before, where whenever there’s an incident of racism defenders immediately spring up to shout “how dare you call that racist!” and deny the existence of racism

And we have all seen before, when there are CLAIMS that some racist incident happened, when it turns out to be a complete fabrication or hoax, so what’s your point again?

• JMP

Actually no, it happens a lot that some racists defending racism claim the racist incident was a fabrication – and every single time, they’re wrong, it turns out the incident really was racist.

• caap02

…” after boarding an aircraft, when phones are supposed to be turned off,”…I’m guessing that you do not fly a lot.

• FlameCCT

You would be wrong. FAA requires the phone function to be turned off. I understand that many people are self absorbed however ignorance is not an excuse. He made a poor choice. I would note that we all go through hassles to fly. I’ve been checked on every flight even though I’m a retired veteran. They even check little kids & babies because of federal TSA regulations.

• mahbod

this is the young man’s wiki: https://www.everipedia.com/khairuldeen-makhzoomi/

• lspanker

From the same source:

Southwest Airlines claims that Makhzoomi used threatening language.

Hmm…

• lonepine

Non Arabic speakers should all learn a few phrases and fly on SW speaking them furtively in their phones.

• VF

“Arabic-speaking airline employee removes student from plane” also fits the facts as reported elsewhere

• flashsteve

The fact that this guy had to go to bed for several days after the incident (because he was so traumatized), make it clear that he has other issues.

• Kimberly Gastauer

He probably felt disheartened by this experience and who wouldn’t? But this young man has courage many could only dream about. The past few years have been a nightmare for him and his family, but he is working hard for a better life for himself and his family. I hope experiences like this one don’t break him down over time and weaken his resolve for a better future.

• Fox Patriot ✘

You must be a parody account.

• Kimberly Gastauer

Nope, still just me. People actually have parody accounts!?! Who knew- I had no idea that was a thing. Why?? I’m still pretty new to the exciting world of the comment section.

• Fox Patriot ✘

I rest my case.

• Kimberly Gastauer

I proudly give my opinions and beliefs. I don’t need to hide behind a fake name or alias because I would say the same things in real life! So many computer warriors are really just cowards commenting to posts from their Mom’s basement. Too fearful to let the real world see them as the ignorant bigots they are. Such a sad, little life they must have!?

• lspanker

I proudly give my opinions and beliefs. I don’t need to hide behind a fake name or alias because I would say the same things in real life!

I used to post under my real name years ago, until left-wing @-holes on the Bay Area started making death threats, posted personal information about me, and encouraged people to vandalize my home and call my place of work to try to get me fired. Now I use a ‘nym, and make no apologies for it. Comprende?

• Kimberly Gastauer

No apologies needed. I actually didn’t know people did that, that’s why I asked you about it in the earlier post. As I stated I am new to Disqus. Hope you tracked down the people making those threats, I really can’t even imagine what comment (no matter how perfectly stated) could make people react in that way!?!

• lspanker

Hope you tracked down the people making those threats

Last I knew (and I don’t keep track of them), one of them was holding down a position as a felony inmate in the San Mateo County lockup. I’m sure his previous documented history as a known stalker of a local radio personality, and his tendency to post long screeds on Usenet about gassing “filthy k-ke Jews” didn’t help mitigate his situation during the sentencing process…

• Kimberly Gastauer

No I can’t imagine that would help his defense as a sweet, mild mannered stalker!?! People like you described are killing the open, honest, spirited debate in this country! People like that are why so many people simply stay silent OR the exact opposite, and can only respond with negativity and hate. I may not agree with many of your ideas but I think everyone should be able to state their beliefs.

• flashsteve

I was mugged twice while a student at U.C., the second time on Telegraph a block from Bancroft. You know what I did the next day? Well, I went to class.

• Kimberly Gastauer

Are you kidding? Did you read this article or any on this young man’s life? The past few years have not exactly been a cake walk for this young man and his family. And even the strongest people can get worn out a little by life. Truly brave people get back up and go on, and that’s what he did. I don’t think showing someone a little compassion would hurt, we never know when we might need some!

• lspanker

The past few years have not exactly been a cake walk for this young man and his family.

That gives him no excuse for getting in an argument with a flight attendant on an airplane. The reality is that nobody else on that plane gave a flying f–k one way or another about him as long as he wasn’t doing anything to jeapordize an on-time departure. Seems these self-centered activists need to learn the hard way that the rest of the planet is under no legal or moral obligation to cater to his demands to turn every unpleasant interaction with others into a political issue.

• Kimberly Gastauer

Seems you got a very different moral to this story. To each his own!

• lspanker

Seems you got a very different moral to this story.

Yes, I did. Those of us who have better things to do with our lives than be professional activists know there is a time and place to make political statements, and doing such when a commercial airline crew is trying to get out of the gate and an on-time departure is NOT one of them.

• Will G-R

Sure, Mr. “Those of us who have better things to do with our lives than
            be professional activists”… now do *you* have anything better to do
            with your own life than trolling this article with dozens of comments in
            support of racism and xenophobia? Because Lord knows, what you’re doing
            right now is *so* much more respectable than the way a “professional
            activist” might make those sorts of statements publicly under their own
            name.

• Fox Patriot ✘

“support of racism and xenophobia”

How laughable. I mean, you *actually* believe you can still use these silly baseless accusations to shut down discussion of the actual facts of cases like this one? Nobody cares about you shrieking “racism and xenophobia” their way dude.

Get a grip.

• Bond Summers

It’s not xenophobia or racism. It’s the collective of individual circumstances. And, in this day and age, xenophobia/cultural-phobia is earned.

• Kimberly Gastauer

We’ve all seen or heard people like you described, but there’s just no proof that this young man was like that. No one said he got into an argument with the crew or any passengers. He had a job and school to get home to, not to mention his Mom and brother waiting for him.

• lspanker

He probably felt disheartened by this experience and who wouldn’t?

Sounds like his ego got the best of him, he thought he could pull a clout check on a flight attendant because he had just got back from some UN goat-rope event, and came in second place in the resultant p!ssing contest. Experienced air travelers with half a brain know better than to get in pissing contests with people who have the power AND authority to remove them from an airplane. It isn’t like college, where these spoiled little activists think everyone is supposed to kow-tow to their demands…

• Kimberly Gastauer

Are you angry with Muslims, college students and/or Muslim college students!?! From articles I’ve read, I wouldn’t describe this particular young man as spoiled. But maybe it has a different meaning where your from.

• lspanker

Are you angry with Muslims, college students and/or Muslim college students!?!

I’m annoyed with narcissistic, selfish and short-sighted people who think their particular position, avocation, circumstances or causes gives them right to interfere with the daily routines of others – people trying to make a flight on time, people trying to get to work or class, etc. These people think that the righteousness of their particular cause or agenda gives them the right be disruptive and annoying. College students, especially militant activists types, fit this description to a T.

• Kimberly Gastauer

For all we know this young man may be annoyed at the very same things as you! He wasn’t flying for a quick weekend in Vegas, he was flying home. He had a full time job to get back to, he was a full time student, he helped his Mother care for and raise his disabled younger brother. He was excited to share news of his trip with a relative, big deal. His job and family responsibilities are no less important than anyone else’s! Sometimes there are delays in life, especially in the world we live in. We adjust.

• lspanker

His job and family responsibilities are no less important than anyone else’s!

They may be no less important than anyone else’s, but they are no MORE important either. He wasted a lot of people’s valuable time with this stunt, and likely did not win any converts to his chosen cause in the process.

• Kimberly Gastauer

I’m glad we finally agree on something! Everyone’s time is valuable. As for proof- there is no actual evidence in any of the articles I have read that he was trying to convert anyone with any sort of stunt. He made a phone call and then promptly exited the plane when asked to do so. The plane left a few minutes late, that is true, but he only had a carry on so they didn’t even have to wait while his luggage was taken off. Those few minutes were made up for during the flight and all the travelers arrived safely. He arrived home safely as well, 8 hours later than expected. He didn’t even ask for a meal voucher or a free taxi ride home, just an apology for the misunderstanding.

• caap02

Man, Ispanker, you sound more and more like some airline stewards that I’ve observed!

• lspanker

Dunno if that’s a compliment or an insult, but I don’t know many of them, as my personal “lifestyle choices” are much more conventional and mainstream than most of them…

• Andy

Unfortionatly, he is actually a victom of Radical Islam. The Islamophobia caused by terrorist attacks which created the situation on the aircraft is a natural reaction to a society under attack. The fact that governments and citizens have become much more vigilent has minimized the number of actual deaths at the hands of radical Islamists. In this case, the after the fact result was an innocent man was questioned and searched because of a conversation in his native language. If you or your family were on the plane, most would over react as well. It is self preservation. Let me be the first to apologize to Mr. Makhzoomi. America was not built with a core value of suspicion against Muslims. I apologize on behalf of America.

I see comments about cows killing more people than terrorists. Cows don’t knowingly kill people. Terrorists with political or religious agendas do Knowingly kill people. I hope he will see beyond the invasion of his privacy and join the fight to make sects of the Muslim relgion Less violent targeting everybody. Facts show Radical Islam kills more Muslims than any other religion which i hope offends him which ever religion he chooses to follow. I pray for peace in the world.

• lbjack

Yes, dear, preciously little self-regarding commissars of political correctness, hate disturb your delicate sensibilities, but speaking Arabic into a cell phone before takeoff will get you scrutinized. Despite your overweening arrogance, the arrogance of the permanently adolescent, 9/11 and its sequelæ are all that reasonably thinking people care to know about Muslims, and so far Muslim behavior has given them no reason to change their perception. This has nothing to do with race but with behavior. And yet racist Berkeley types insist on painting all conflict as racist, or sexist, or whatever else-ish, because it is chic and they are too stupid to explain themselves other that in memes.

Muslims should not fly. Period. If they do, then they will be scrutinized. The way non-Muslims are body searched just to get on a flight. This ‘bigotry” has saved countless American lives. But then, to a Berkeley type, what is a human life — particularly loathsome American life — compared to the clever slogans of organized umbrance?

• Kimberly Gastauer

Muslims should not fly. Surely you can’t be serious!? In this day and age I believe if we see something suspicious we should say something, report it. But if this is the new world we live in, we must also be willing and able to apologize when a mistake is made. Because surely, mistakes will be made. I don’t see why that part is so difficult. And who exactly would get final say on who can fly? I like to sleep on long flights and some people from New York are loud, so we should add them. And I’ve heard Irish people like to drink ALOT, what if they get rowdy on the flight and disturb my rest- they must be on the list as well. Oh and small children are NOT conducive to rest and relaxation so they have to go! We can work out the exact age restrictions later. LOL. It’s not a perfect system, but for now it’s all we have, so we have to make the best of it. Some people (too many people if you ask me)are easily offended these days, you are right about that, but I will not let them dictate how I live my life. It’s ok to be scared, we’re living in a scary world, but I won’t change how I live or how I treat others to make them feel better about their lives.

• Kimberly Gastauer

Now that I’m thinking about it, this new NO FLY list is never ending!?! Some people from Texas are loud, some old people are so chatty, want to share pictures of their grandchildren while I’m trying to sleep! Maybe we could keep grandmother’s only because many are said to carry candy in their purses!?! A snack mid flight might be nice. And the list could go on and on…

• zenlike

Why do you hate freedom lbjack? You are a sniveling coward and a disgrace.

• Starhead

W Kamau Bell moments don’t play the same outside of Berkeley. Sounds like he may have gotten righteous, Berkeley style, and this time no one played along?

• prairie dog

Boo Hoo 😢😢😢

• Ranelagh

OK. That’s the last time I ever fly Southwest.

• Fox Patriot ✘

America thanks you.

• MinWoo

His Facebook page has been full of angry posts about Islamophobia and his disapproval of Western ideas for months. How convenient this story happens to him and he makes a big scene about it!!!!

• lspanker

Yep, but apparently we are all “racists” for exhibiting any skepticism over what appears to be one-side of a two-sided discussion.

• Kimberly Gastauer

I’ve read a few different articles about this young man, and no one mentioned if he traveled a lot or if he was a novice flyer!? If we put ourselves in his shoes for a moment, I can’t say I wouldn’t get angry, upset or loud, in the same exact position. It can’t be easy being a Muslim refugee in the US right now.

• lspanker

It can’t be easy being a flight attendant knowing that every time you have to deal with somebody who’s causing problems on an airplane, you risk the chance of being called a “;racist” or “bigot” by people who don’t even have access to both sides of the story.

• KimberlyJ

Sticks & stones…
            Words like that have little to no value when thrown around by uninformed idiots who have no facts, reason or common sense to win an argument or debate. So they shouldn’t be feared! All good flight attendants know there profession is not for the thin skinned! It’s never easy working in customer service, not everyone is cut out for it.

• lspanker

So do you agree with my basic point, which is that Southwest and its employees shouldn’t be smeared with the blanket accusation of “racism” merely on the account of one disgruntled individual whose poor judgement skills caused him to get kicked off an airplane?

• Also note that this “report” is written by a sharmuta. No bias there.

• Kimberly Gastauer

I assure you, he’s not the only one angry about how Muslims are treated, here in the US and in many places around the world. And young college age people share absolutely everything on their Facebook pages. Sometimes maybe a little too much! And we should remember he is still pretty new to our country, so some of our ideas and practices may seem foreign or strange to him. But he seems to have assimilated to our culture beautifully- jumping right in and getting a full time job, helping his Mother care for his brother and being a full time student! I’m sure this young man has a very bright future ahead of him.

• lspanker

I assure you, he’s not the only one angry about how Muslims are treated, here in the US and in many places around the world.

That argument MIGHT have some traction except for the fact that Muslims treat each other (i.e. people from other Muslim sects) just as badly.

• Kimberly Gastauer

I have had that very same thought and a lot of discussions around that topic. I wish I could convince myself of that because it would make everything a lot easier, if everything was that black or white, right or wrong. All Muslims are terrorists and should be hunted down and treated as such, regardless of age, race or nationality= problem solved, so glad we figured that one out. This conclusion doesn’t work for all Muslims just like any other generalized theory on any other group of people. All African Americans, all women, all gay people, all Christians and on and on and on. This problem is much bigger than that and will not be solved that easily.

• lspanker

All Muslims are terrorists and should be hunted down and treated as such, regardless of age, race or nationality= problem solved, so glad we figured that one out.

Nobody said such a thing, so stop being silly. How about if you argue with things people actually say, instead of making up strawman positions that conform to your particular world view?

• Kimberly Gastauer

No I’m sorry you misunderstood my comment. I didn’t quote anyone, I made that statement to explain my position. I was trying to explain life would be a lot easier if we could make broad statements that were factual and therefore know exactly who our enemies were. BUT life doesn’t work like that, it’s not just Black OR White, there is a large grey area in between. And that pesky grey area is what makes everything a lot harder.

• lspanker

You’re still missing the point. I’m not claiming its OK to profile and remove someone from an airplane because they are speaking Arabic. I am simply stating that I have little or no reason to believe he was removed just for speaking Arabic, given that I have some semblance of an idea how aviation security profiling works.

• Kimberly Gastauer

Sadly we will never know exactly why he was taken off the flight and detained. But even if we had a video of the actual event in real time with perfect audio, many people would still not concede that it was all just a misunderstanding. That is my point. People are trying to protect themselves by grouping together an entire religion, thinking some how this will keep them safe!?! This way of thinking doesn’t help the situation or keep anyone safe.

• Fox Patriot ✘

“You’re still missing the point.”
            Look at my exchanges with her. “Missing The Point” is like her middle name. I suspect deliberately. Or could be a parody account.

• Kimberly Gastauer

Just because I don’t share your opinions doesn’t mean I missed the point. I was simply giving my opinions on the story as well.

• JMP

No, you are defending removing someone from an airplane because they are speaking Arabic, and just throwing out a lot of nonsense to defend it by lying and claiming that he was thrown off for some other reason even though we all knows it was for being Brown and speaking Arabic.

• lspanker

No, you are defending removing someone from an airplane because they are speaking Arabic

BullshIt, I have been quite specific and detailed in my claims. You’re desperately trying to spin and obfuscate them because you can’t win an argument based on what I actually said.

• JMP

Yes, you have been detailed in your lies. And? The whole thing is an exercise in obfuscation, in inventing some nonsensical scenario to defend racist actions by absurdly claiming there was somehow no racism involved. I’ve been around the block and have seen this happen many, many times before too.

• lspanker

Yes, you have been detailed in your lies.

What lies are those supposed to be? Please explain.

• JMP

“I am simply stating that I have little or no reason to believe he was removed for speaking Arabic”

There’s one right there, that you keep repeating over and over again.

• lspanker

Not a lie at all. You simply are desperate to force this point because otherwise you lose your entire argument and look like a fool.

• JMP

Hahahahhaha. Yeah, I have to worry about looking like a fool arguing against you. Really. Maybe you have no idea how you’ve already proven yourself the fool here?

• Fox Patriot ✘

“because they are speaking Arabic”

Yeah, that’s not what happened here.

• lspanker

He’s not interested in the truth. He already made his conclusion, and isn’t about to let facts get in the way. It’s always the same with these retarded left-wingers – they are just CONVINCED that EVERYONE ELSE is racist, so when the facts start coming in, they start trying to derail the discussion to get people to forget the laughably off-base comments they made in the first place.

• Fox Patriot ✘

You know, that’s what MUTE button is for on twitter, and after a couple of exchanges, you simply don’t waste time on these incorrigible, ideologically brainwashed Islamophile dummies.

• JMP

Try reading the thread – some of your racist apologist buddies have in fact said exactly that.

• lspanker

So you’re putting the words of others in my mouth because you can’t win an argument otherwise? Grow up, child.

• JMP

You said “nobody said such a thing”, I point out that people have said that in this very thread, then you say I’m “putting words of other in your mouth”. That’s moving the goalposts there – but hey, we already knew you weren’t arguing in good faith.

But yeah, call people who disagree with your bigotry “child”, that really helps your case and doesn’t show again that you’re a condescending, petty little idiot. Guess what, there are a lot of us who are in fact old and yet are not racists like you! There’s nothing childish or naive about opposing bigotry, it is in fact what all descent adults do.

• lspanker

But yeah, call people who disagree with your bigotry “child”

I call you a “child” because all you’re interested in is calling me a racist or bigot for daring to disagree with your hysterical, uninformed claims.

• JMP

No actually, I’m calling you a racist for defending racism, it’s actually very simple. Do you not want to be called a bigot? Then just refrain from doing or saying bigoted things!

• lspanker

No actually, I’m calling you a racist for defending racism

YOU are the liar. I don’t defend racism. You’re simply trying to smear those who disagree with you as being “racist” because it’s the only way you can win your silly argument.

• JMP

Yeah, sorry, but no. Guess what, I’ve encountered people inventing ridiculous stories to defend racism by claiming a racist incident like this was somehow not racist before.

• lspanker

No, I am not a social justice warrior, as I prefer the caster classes; I am a Social Justice Conjurer.

More like you’re an insecure individual with little or no life experience outside your little world of political activism, that’s all.

• He’s also a bigot. Consider how he reacts to my avatar in a highly bigoted way.

• JMP

It’s a very common claim from the racists, to accuse anyone who is opposed to their racism has little life experience. It makes no sense, at all, and I wonder what the psychology behind it is. I think it’s a way of trying to normalize their bigotry, to claim that it’s their experience that turned them into smal- minded bigots, and that their racism is perfectly OK. They fail to realize that many of us in fact do have tons of life experience, have explored much of the world, and have managed not to become hate-filled creeps but in fact met people of all sorts of different backgrounds and learned they are all in fact human beings.

• lspanker

It’s a very common claim from the racists, to accuse anyone who is opposed to their racism has little life experience.

You clearly DO have little life experience as a mature adult if you don’t realize that getting into an argument with an airline crewmember is the fastest route to getting your posterior kicked off a flight. Once again, he didn’t get removed for speaking Arabic or because some woman made some erroneous assumption. He was kicked off because of his behavior and actions when interviewed by the aircrew.