10 best events to check out on Cal Day

Kingman, Sophia Weltman and Travis Bullock

With more than 400 events to choose from, Cal Day can be as daunting as it is exciting. Luckily, The Daily Californian is here to help you sort through all the cool events that the school has to offer. No doubt, this article is not nearly comprehensive, but we’ve compiled a list of 10 events that would’ve peaked our interest if we were new to the campus.

1. Reading by Joyce Carol Oates

Attention, all bookworms. You’re in luck! Joyce Carole Oates will be reading her work out loud in Wheeler Hall at 2 p.m., and she will also be talking about her own experiences as an English major in college. Active since the sixties, Oates is one of the most acclaimed fiction writers of today, and her work has garnered an impressive array of awards — from the National Book Award to an Oprah’s Book Club Selection

2. Arts + Design Tour with Associate Vice Chancellor Shannon Jackson

UC Berkeley’s Arts + Design Initiative is a new campus program that fosters innovation at the intersection between art and technology. Come hear the program’s newly appointed vice chancellor, Shannon Jackson, give a walking tour that shows all the different resources our campus has for artists and creative thinkers.

3. Housing Tour: Berkeley Student Cooperative

Popularly known as “co-ops,” Berkeley Student Cooperative is a student housing option that puts the focus on communal living. The co-ops have a reputation for their vibrant community that draws all types of artists, free-thinkers and idealists together. If this sounds like the culture you’re looking for in college, then we recommend that you learn more about the community through one of their housing tours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

4. Study Abroad Student Panel

For many students, studying abroad can be one of the most rewarding and impactful experiences of their undergraduate career, but it’s an experience that takes a lot of planning and foresight. If you’re dead set on studying abroad during college, get a head start on your plans by attending this panel, where students will be answering questions and sharing stories from their own travels.

5. The 2016 Election

The 2016 presidential primaries constitute one of the wildest, most fascinating election cycles in recent political history. As the Democrats see a fiercely contested election, and as a controversial business mogul rises to the top in the Republican party, you might need help making sense of it all. Come to LeConte Hall at 1 p.m. to hear three political science professors offer their opinions and analyses on the current race to the White House.

6. BAMPFA Free Gallery Admission

If you’re new to the city, now is the perfect time to visit UC Berkeley’s very own art museum, the Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive. The BAMPFA has just moved to its new location, and it just had its grand reopening in January 2016, featuring a sleek, new architectural design by New York firm Diller Scofidio + Renfro. The museum boasts a stunning inaugural collection, featuring pieces by important artists such as Marcel Duchamp, Ruth Asawa and Louise Bourgeois.

7. Insects, Spiders and Their Kin

For those who are in love with science and creepy-crawlies, the Essig Museum of Entomology will be displaying its impressive collection of anthropods. The museum is only open to the public twice a year: once on Cal Day and once on Darwin Day.

8. Cal Band

The Cal Band will have two performances on Cal Day: one 10 a.m. performance at Sather Gate and one 11 a.m. performance at the Sproul steps. The marching band has gained national exposure through media appearances such as its performance in the 2016 Superbowl Halftime Show, where it played alongside Coldplay, Beyonce and Bruno Mars.

9. The Tsar Bell

The Tsar Bell is a massive tower bell — weighing more than 200 tons — that was commissioned by the niece of Peter the Great. Currently on display at the Moscow Kremlin, the Tsar Bell has never actually been rung before, because it was severely damaged by a fire in 1737. Yet a team of researchers from Stanford and UC Berkeley have finally recreated the sound of the centuries-old bell. Come to their panel to learn about the technical process, the challenges of the task and the history of the bell.

10. The Touch Tank: Kelp Forest Organisms

Scientists will be setting up a little aquatic petting zoo in the Valley Life Sciences Building courtyard. The touch tank will contain live seaweeds and invertebrates that were found in the Monterey Bay Area.

Contact Jason Chen at [email protected]]