Lavender and lime cheesecake

Who said cheesecakes have to be unhealthy? By using quality ingredients, it’s possible to make a cheesecake that is both delicious and nutritionally balanced. If you opt for almond cream cheese (which by the way, barely tastes any different from the regular cream cheese), you end up eliminating most of the saturated fat typically found in cheesecakes. Similarly, swapping regular unsalted butter for avocado oil spread ups the MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acids) quotient. Plus, since we replaced white refined sugar with raw honey, we can now obtain some additional trace minerals and vitamins that are otherwise absent. By replacing a few ingredients, a typically “calorie-dense” dessert just became “nutrient-dense” instead!

So next time you crave a cheesecake from Caffe Strada, try making your own guilt-free version with this delicately flavored recipe. You can either make a large, whole cake or make 15 small, cup-sized treats.

What you’ll need :

• 4.5 oz. crumbled digestive biscuits
  • 2.6 oz. avocado oil spread, brought to room temperature and cubed
  • 11 oz. Kite Hill’s plain almond cream cheese
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp. lime juice
  • 250 milliliters regular/low-fat single cream (as far as your conscious takes you…)
  • 5 tbsp. water
  • 5 tbsp. dried lavender buds
  • 7 oz. organic wildflower or any flora-flavored honey
  • 20 cm. spring-form tin, with removable edges/12-cup muffin tray
  • Medium to large-sized Ziplock bag
  • Rolling pin/ heavy object

What you’ll do:

1. Preparing the base: Place the biscuits in the tightly shut Ziplock bag, and uniformly crumble using a rolling pin. Add the crumbs into a bowl with pieces of softened avocado butter, and use your hands to mix the two ingredients until they start to clump in your palm. Press this mixture along the bottom of a spring-form tin, and also a little up the sides to form a ridge. Place the tin/muffin tray in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set properly.
  2. Extracting lavender flavors: Bring the water to boil and add 1 tbsp. of honey. Add the lavender flowers and let them soak in for about 20 minutes, then strain the liquid for use.
  3. Preparing the cream cheese mix: Add the strained lavender water, vanilla, lime juice and the remaining honey to the cream cheese, and mix well using a light whisk. Whip up the cream until it’s slightly thicker, and gently fold into the cream cheese mixture.
  4. Final arrangement: Spread the mixture on the base evenly and rerefrigerate for another three hours until the top is firm.

Enjoy!

Contact Heeral Shivnani at [email protected].