Sweetgreen — as good as it sounds

Taylor Follett/Staff

We at the Clog love a few things. Specifically, we love journalism, crying over schoolwork via a journalistic platform, clogs and eating. With this in mind, we managed to drag our clogs far from our beloved Daily Cal office all the way to Shattuck Avenue and Hearst Avenue to try the new salads at Sweetgreen and this time, instead of evaluating the atmosphere, we managed to actually order multiple salads. We bring to you, with very full stomachs, an evaluation of three of Sweetgreen’s most popular salads*.

*Unsurprisingly, all its salads are popular, so this statement is rather redundant.

Salad #1 — Hummus Tahina

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

This salad had a somewhat surprising mix of ingredients. It included falafel, pita chips, cheese and more on top of a typical lettuce mix. The falafel was very good, and the bits of pita chips tasted delicious especially when combined with the cheese. It got a little spicy, so we would definitely recommend having a beverage of some kind. Our official Clog recommendation (trademark pending) is to get medium dressing, because the dressing is delicious but fairly strong, so you don’t want it to overpower the other aspects of the flavor profile. We would definitely order this dish again, and it’s worth noting that it’s very filling, so you could even save part of it for later. Because we’re pretentious and don’t believe in giving things a 10/10, this salad is a 9/10.

Salad #2 — Guacamole Greens

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

This was the only nonvegetarian food item that we tried and it was amazing. One Sweetgreen employee described this dish as “guacamole in salad form” and after eating it, we have to agree. We ordered medium dressing again, which was a great decision. This salad works especially well with the side of bread that comes with every bowl, because the dressing is just oily enough to soak into the bread nicely. The avocado in particular was fresh and delicious. We were surprised by the tortilla chips within the salad, but they fit quite nicely with the overall taste. Again, we would order this dish multiple times. In fact, we are eating this dish as we type this. 9.5/10.

Umami Grain Bowl

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

This wasn’t actually a salad bowl like the other two, but rather a grain bowl. Basically, instead of greens on bottom there was a bed of wild rice. They don’t toss it like the other salads either because of the grains. Normally, it comes with quinoa but we actually substituted that for wild rice. As per usual, it was completely delicious. We were actually really sad about how much we loved this one, because it’s a seasonal bowl, so we can’t satisfy our craving for this particular grain bowl year-round. Basically, all the more reason to drop everything and go eat at Sweetgreen immediately. 9/10.

Drinks

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

The drinks were amazing. Are you sensing a pattern here? We ordered the Lemon Fresca and the Cucumber Ginger Lime Fresca. The Lemon Fresca basically tasted like very strong, very fresh lemonade. The Cucumber Ginger Lime Fresca is exactly what you would expect it to be: fresh, tasty, healthy and hydrating. We would definitely recommend going the whole nine yards if you go to Sweetgreen and getting one (or many) of the frescas.

So, overall, Sweetgreen is amazing. We love Sweetgreen. We need to get a job (other than Clogging) to pay for our quickly developing Sweetgreen addiction. We want to live, and quite possibly die, in a Sweetgreen. Thank you for gracing Berkeley’s streets with your healthy, delicious presence.

Contact Taylor Follett at [email protected].

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Sweetgreen was located at Shattuck Avenue and Haste Street. In fact, Sweetgreen is located at Shattuck Avenue and Hearst Avenue.