UC Berkeley earns sixth-best global reputation

UC Berkeley’s reputation has officially been deemed sixth-best among universities worldwide by Times Higher Education, a widely acclaimed educational news publication based out of the United Kingdom.

Listed behind Harvard University, MIT, Stanford University, University of Cambridge and University of Oxford in the 2016 World Reputation Rankings, UC Berkeley has maintained its position in the top six since the reputation rankings began in 2011. This year, the campus had a total score of 62.7, significantly higher than Princeton University’s 38.1, which was the next highest-ranked school.

“We’re pleased that our colleagues continue to rank Berkeley among the best universities in the world in terms of teaching and research,” said campus spokesperson Janet Gilmore in an email.

The rankings are scored in two categories, teaching and research, which are based entirely on subjective judgement. Times Higher Education disseminates the world’s largest academic opinion survey on an invitation-only basis, to those they consider senior and published experts in academia.

More than 10,000 responses from 133 countries informed this year’s survey. Scholars are asked to list 15 universities they believe excel in teaching and research based on their specific field; the frequency with which a university is listed determines its rank.

Times Higher Education has also produced World University Rankings since 2004, which evaluate university performance based on 13 comprehensive indicators. UC Berkeley was ranked 13th in 2015-16, indicating a potential discrepancy between performance and reputation.

Times Higher Education touts reputation as highly valuable, stating on its website that it has the power to attract funding, accomplished staff and top international students.

Gilmore said in an email that until data experts have fully reviewed the survey, it is too soon to determine the implications of the campus’s reputation ranking as sixth-best.

Contact Hannah Lewis at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @hlewis_dc.