Is this real life?

SatherGate_MDrummond
Michael Drummond/File

Now that we at the Clog are emerging from our caffeine-fueled finals haze, switching our phones off airplane mode and unblocking distracting websites, we’re beginning to catch up on the things we missed during our study-induced hibernation. Here are just some of the recent events and realizations that have made us stop and ask, “Is this even real life?”

1. The fact that it is officially summer break — maybe it’s because none of the other UC schools are even close to finals yet or maybe it’s just that it’s still raining every other day, but summer just doesn’t seem real yet. Spring semester 2016 seemed to fly by, and now we’re just really confused about what to do with all our free time.
  2. Two words: Donald “Laziness is a trait in blacks” Drumpf. Donald “Laziness is a trait in blacks” Drumpf is now the presumptive Republican nominee, and regardless of political affiliation, not many people saw this coming when the rumors began to fly that Donald “Laziness is a trait in blacks” Drumpf was planning on running for president. Most people thought it was a joke and now it’s a horrifying nightmare.
  3. Apparently the latest and greatest thing in Hollywood is revisiting popular franchises and old movies. We’re pretty shocked by the list of upcoming movie reboots. An all female Ghostbusters, a third Star Trek, a new Rocky Horror Picture Show starring Laverne Cox and a Jumanji remake with Jack Black and Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson?  We’re not complaining, though — November will find us spending all our money watching “Rebel One” and “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” as some more of our favorite franchises once again break the box office.
  4. We’re closer to 2030 than we are to 2000. Now that is super weird.
  5. We can’t believe Shakespeare & Co. is finally, completely gone and being replaced by a coffee shop. Sure, it’s been out of business for ages now, but as long as the corner shop was standing empty, we held out some ridiculous hope that one day it would be filled again with books. On the bright side, we intellectual caffeine-addicted types are all for Shakespeare jokes within drink names.
  6. To repeat a common theme: An entire year of our lives is over and it really seems to have flown by. We’re now one step closer to getting a college degree, entering the real world and/or our impending doom. We at the Clog are sure that this shock is even more present for those people who just changed their LinkedIn profile from “Student at University of California, Berkeley” to say “University of California, Berkeley Alumnus.”
  7. The Berkeley housing versus enrollment situation. While we at the Clog have all gone through the stressful housing hunt with varying levels of success, we were really shocked to read that the university is offering on-campus housing at other college campuses next year. We’ve always known that our on-campus housing is somewhat non-traditional, in that it’s actually located off campus, but this is even more unusual.
  8. Obama’s presidency is almost over. It’s very weird to us because eight years ago we were only just beginning to follow politics (if at all) when he was first elected. For most of us, Obama is the only president whose policies we actually actively formed opinions on as they were happening. This November will definitely be a strange adjustment period for us.
  9. The changing face of Downtown Berkeley is definitely something that we’re still getting used to. Starting with the opening of Sweetgreen, it seems like every week there’s a new restaurant or coffee place cropping up on Shattuck Avenue or University Avenue. Whether it’s an old place with a new name or location, or just a new restaurant altogether, the signs we’ve gotten so used to in our walks about Berkeley are changing.
  10. Unless you’re taking summer classes, you don’t have to be back in a lecture hall for three months. Let that sink in a little bit.

Contact Taylor Follett at [email protected].