How to show your mom you care

Things Taken for Granted at Home
Caragh McErlean/File

Let’s face it, you probably missed Mother’s Day. Chances are you were much too consumed by finals stress to send your mom a bouquet of flowers or take her out for a nice lunch. It’s not really your fault that this day slipped through the cracks.  As summer opens its beautiful doors, now is the time to redeem yourself and reconnect. Moms are really great, and honestly sometimes way cooler to hang with than your friends from high school. Who wants to remember high school, anyway? We at the Clog have some suggestions to show her just how much you appreciate her.

There’s absolutely nothing like your mom’s cooking. But have you ever thought of all the work that goes into preparing each of those favorite meals of yours? Why don’t you take on the cooking for a day? Despite only being able to make mac and cheese or cereal, she’ll appreciate the load being taken off her shoulders, even if it’s just for a day. Just remember the 18 years of meals she provided for you — it’s the least you can do.

Take her out for a classy dinner, just the two of you. Mom dates are great. She’s probably ecstatic to have you home and touched that you thought of her. And spending time alone is not only an amazing bonding opportunity but also a chance for you to receive endless compliments. As her own kin, your successes are her successes and the fact that you finished another semester is just another pride-inducing event to celebrate.

Your mom might have some hobbies that you find less than entertaining. Instead of vegging out on the couch next time she gathers her gardening tools or puts on her walking shoes, you should tag along. Showing interest in the stuff she likes will definitely earn you kid points, and it’s probably one of the easiest ways to show that you care. It won’t hurt to spend a couple hours pulling weeds or scrapbooking. Who knows? Maybe you’ll discover a hidden passion.

In the end, the simplest thing you can do to show your appreciation for your mom is just to spend time with her. Sometimes, all it takes is putting your phone down or taking some time away from your current Netflix binge to hang out. She’s probably very down to grab Starbucks or go to the movies with you. As you grow up and spend more and more time on your own, she’ll definitely appreciate the time you spend together.

So no matter whether you’re spending the summer at home or in Berkeley, take some time out for your No. 1 fan — your mom. She can never get enough of you and misses you more than she lets on, so take some time to show her you care. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that she’ll probably insist on paying for whatever you want to treat her to, which makes “showing you care” just that much easier.

Contact Gillian Perry at [email protected].