Freshman Marianne Li’s season ends at NCAA Championships

WGolf_PhillipDowney
Phillip Downey/File

Freshman Marianne Li’s season is in the books.

After a weekend in Eugene, Oregon, Li is not moving on to play in the 72-hole tournament for the individual title of the NCAA Women’s Golf Championships.

Li began her lone journey in the championships Friday and finished the day shooting a two under 70 and tied for 11th place on the leaderboard — only two shots out of first place on the individual competition. The 70 she made marked the seventh time this season Li has recorded a round par or better. During the first nine holes, Li had a birdie on the par-four second and would have par on the next four holes. She logged in a bogey on the seventh hole to bring her score to even and followed it up with a birdie on hole 12. With three birdies on the day, she recorded one more on par-three 14 and would go on to have a four-hole streak of par play to conclude the day.

Despite her strong start, Li struggled in her second day. She finished the first half of the second round with a four-over score but was able to recover her bad start and stay in the top 20 of the leaderboard. The front nine began with a birdie on the par-four third —  one of the four birdies on the day. She also shot three under on holes one through nine. Her efforts led her to finish with a 73, putting herself in a solid position to advance in the tournament on the final day of elimination.

On Sunday, however, Li did not make one of the necessary spots to advance to the fourth day. She opened up the first three holes even at par but then shot six straight bogeys to close out the front nine. Li’s back nine wasn’t any better, having a forgettable afternoon on the course to finish the day with a 78.

With her season now over, Cal will look to the future with the talented freshman as a mainstay on its team for years to come.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated on multiple occasions that Marianne Li would advance further in the NCAA Women’s Golf Championships. A previous version of the headline attached to this article also incorrectly stated Li would advance in the tournament. In fact, Li will not be advancing in the championships.

Oscar Oxlaj covers women’s golf. Contact him at [email protected]