The Clog’s guide to over-packing

2c8fdbc6-5adf-4e96-9204-27b611765287
Joan Kang/Staff

We Bears may have hibernated all year, but now that summer is in full swing, we’re leaving our dens and traveling all over the world. Leaving our cozy homes and college apartments is always exciting and nerve-wracking, especially since the world outside of the Berkeley bubble is so different. The weather extremes can be shocking now that we’re used to Berkeley’s steady fluctuation between 60 and 85 degrees all year long with the occasional heat wave. How do we prepare?

We at the Clog are certified over-packers and can help you in your quest to become ready for whatever summer vacation you’re going on. Maybe you’re often left without enough underwear or perhaps on your last trip, an unexpected opportunity presented itself and you weren’t ready for it. Whatever your travel problem is, we at the Clog can help you. Over-packing is the answer to all your problems (unless your problem is a heavy suitcase).

Prepare well

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

Search as many websites with suggested packing lists as you can. Synthesize all of them and pack everything mentioned. Look up the weather for your destination. Figure out how to fold clothes really small so you can fit even more into your suitcase. And of course, the biggest key to over-packing is having a huge suitcase. Seriously, make sure your suitcase is big enough for every item of clothing you own.

Basics

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

As with all packing, start with the basics: pants, shorts, shirts, pajamas and all that good stuff. If you feel like you don’t have enough stuff, make sure to grab more. Sure, you’ve only worn that sweater once, but what if you need it? Don’t forget toiletries. Make sure to pack for the weather, which you’ve already looked up, right?

Cal gear

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

You can’t be caught without school spirit. Pack a healthy amount of Cal shirts, jackets and baseball caps, regardless of location. If you’re going somewhere cold, pack two Cal sweatshirts. Warm? Try to find a Berkeley swimsuit. What’s the point of going to college if you don’t have pride in your school? Education?

Prepare for the worst

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

Look, weather reports are often wrong. Therefore, you should pack for the exact opposite of whatever the weather is supposed to be, just in case. Grab your Berkeley-tested umbrella, even if you’re going to the Sahara Desert. Then, take some time to think about any possible event that could go wrong. Make sure you pack something to counteract this event. What if the showers are disgusting? Pick up your old residence hall shower shoes, even if you’re going to be staying in a five star hotel. What if you get on the wrong flight and end up somewhere different entirely? Pack some clothes appropriate for that, just in case.

Prepare for the best

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

What if you meet someone hot and you fall in love? You’re going to need something nice for all the dates you’ll go on. Make sure to grab a nice outfit and pair of shoes. What if Mark Zuckerberg is in the same location as you, and you run into him during his infamous morning runs? You should probably grab running shoes just so you can have that opportunity. And then business appropriate clothes, in case he offers you a job, because you live in the Bay Area and all. And, obviously, a lint roller for your business clothes.

Instagram worthy

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

Everyone knows the whole point of traveling is to have cool Instagram photos. Pack your best outfit, even if it’s not weather or location appropriate and grab anything you might need to make it cool. You have to remind your friends back in Berkeley what a great time you’re having while you’re out of town and, of course, get likes.

Travel ready

Taylor Follett/Staff

Make sure to have books or activities in your suitcase for the trip back. Hopefully everything you need for the plane ride there is in a purse or backpack that you can bring as a carry on. Pack twice the amount of books you think you’ll need, just in case you suddenly learn how to read at the speed of light. Grab a textbook or a reader too, in case you get really bored.

You are officially over-packed. Travel safe!

Contact Taylor Follett at [email protected].