How to deal with not getting what you want

Frustrated_Sad_Bears_Willow_Yang
Willow Yang/Staff

We don’t always get what we want. That’s just a fact of life. Maybe it was being rejected from that internship you’d been pining for, or the heartbreaking moment when you realize that the class you had been eyeing for the longest time was full.  And if you want to see this clearly in action, just take a look at the Class of 2020 Facebook group when the housing assignments went out. There was a flood of posts about not getting the type of room they wanted. We at the Clog understand your pain. Now, there are a few things you can do to survive these tragic moments.

There’s always the classic way to deal with a first world problem (don’t deny that’s what it is). Remember when you were young and didn’t feel like eating your broccoli for dinner? Your mom would say those infamous words, “Now think of the poor children in Africa.” That’s right, dig deep into that guilt fest. There’s nothing like picturing people starving or dying of malaria to make us think twice about whether we really deserve to be pitied for being forced to wake up for an 8 a.m. lecture.

Or you could just let the lie that you’re completely satisfied with what you have instead of the thing that you actually really wanted fester. Keep telling yourself that until you start to believe it. We’ve all heard the saying: fake it ’til you make it.

Stay away from social media, especially Facebook. We all know how that’ll end — with you scrolling through your feed going from mildly jealous to annoyed to depressed. Suddenly, everyone you know seems to be living a spectacular life. There’s no blow worse to your ego than seeing those photos of that friend having a blast in Paris or someone’s status update about their perfect new job.

Watch sad sappy movies with a tub of ice cream. Who cares if this one’s stolen off of dealing with a break up. If you think about it, what you’re going through right now is basically a break up too. Just replace a person leaving you with your crushed hopes and dreams. And since you’re in mourning period, you have the right to start belting “I Will Survive” at the top of your lungs.

Do something dumb that you’ll regret later. Go forth an make some terrible choices to spite the universe for dealing you a bad card. People do it all the time so there must be some merit to the method, right?

Yes, we know it may feel like the world is collapsing around you and life will never again be the same. But the kitty poster knows what’s up, so hang in there.

Contact Zeyana Musthafa at [email protected].