Graham Fleming receives executive pay for nearly 1 year after resigning amid sexual harassment allegations

Editor’s note: Read the updated story here.

Even after former vice chancellor for research Graham Fleming resigned last year amid sexual harassment allegations, the campus continued to pay him his administrative salary for nearly a year, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Fleming was allowed to retain his salary of $343,000 — about $96,000 more than his pay as a tenured chemistry professor — for 11 months, consistent with UC policy, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. “Transition leave” allows administrators to take paid leaves immediately after they have left their position to allow them to refocus on scholarly activities.

Fleming left his position as vice chancellor of research in April 2015 after allegations arose that he had sexually harassed former assistant vice chancellor for research enterprise services Diane Leite.

His administrative pay continued until March, a month before the end of the year-long period of pay the policy permits.

In March, UC President Janet Napolitano ordered Fleming’s removal from his role as Berkeley Global Campus ambassador, another administrative position he held. Napolitano has, in recent months, voiced heavy disapproval of the campus’s handling of several sexual misconduct cases involving faculty members and administrators.

Check back for updates.

Suhauna Hussain is the managing editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @suhaunah.