Study released suggests solution to Islamophobia

A study released Monday by the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR, and the campus Center for Race and Gender suggested a four-point strategy to combat Islamophobia in the United States.

By collecting statistics from more than 25,000 news articles and more than 500 tax filings as well as by interviewing experts on Islamophobia, the researchers were able to identify the issue causing Islamophobia and offer a solution called the “Environmental Centric Strategy.”

The proposal suggested that Muslims should get more involved in communities, media and politics and that people should recognize the similarities between Islamophobia and other forms of discrimination.

“The goal (of the research) is to point out that we are living in a highly Islamophobic environment,” said Hatem Bazian, campus lecturer in the department of Near Eastern studies.

The research also concluded that 33 Islamophobic organizations received at least $205 million between 2008 and 2013 according to CAIR spokesperson Corey Saylor.

Saylor said the money was given from foundations as well as private and corporate donors to produce anti-Muslim videos and to pay people to give inaccurate information to law enforcement agents about Islam.

The study documented negative impact of Islamophobia, such as anti-Islamic bills that became laws, incidents in the U.S. that targeted mosques and two recent phenomenons — “Muslim-free” businesses and armed anti-Islam demonstrations. It aims to give people a better understanding about Islam and to spread the idea that it should be treated as equally as other faiths in American society.

According to Saylor, the study was conducted because Islamophobia was causing too many Americans to undermine the Constitution. He added that he believed Islamophobia was caused by four reasons — actions performed by violent extremists, negative media representation of Islam, statements by politicians and Islamophobic groups in the U.S.

Saylor identified Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump for his alleged exploitation of anti-Islamic sentiments for political gain, adding that Trump has made Islamophobia a “mainstream” topic by using it deliberately and systematically.

“He made it fashionable,” Bazian said. “He intensified and normalized Islamophobic discourse.”

Both Saylor and Bazian expressed a belief that laws targeting specific minority groups are unconstitutional. They both alleged that 10 states have passed laws that specifically target Muslims in the U.S.

“The notion that any American would feel that passing a law to vilify an entire religion is justified means that individual does not understand America’s founding ideals,” Saylor said.

Bazian said the research has so far been “greatly welcomed” and has received a positive reaction from the public. He added that the study provides educational materials on Islam and encourages people to live in a civil society.

Contact Stina Chang at [email protected].

• commenter1101011

CAIR is also considered a terror group by the UAE and several top leaders have been banned from entering the US: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/393614/cair-terror-group-daniel-pipes

• lspanker

Notice that we rarely get any rejoinders these days from the likes of SJP, MSA, or JVP on the Daily Cal website when we respond to pieces/editorials on Islam in general and the Palestinians in particular.

That’s because they aren’t interested in any type of forum where they can’t control the discussion. They prefer to target the low-information dumb bunnies with no real world experience who can be conned into making fools of themselves by marching around with “Free Palestine!” signs and expressing solidarity with people who would gladly murder their own children if it resulted in the children of their enemies being murdered as well.

• Papijuanito

Keep your mythology out of my democracy…

• lspanker

Another low-information type pops out of his little troll hole…

• Curtis Jones

Cut off all immigration. Investigates all mosques. Sticking our heads in the sand is cultural suicide. The last Muslim war went from 700 AD to 1492 AD. Political correctness will be the death of us.

• the problem is not islamaphobia, the problem is islam

• Tim Avila

“…Islamophobia was caused by four reasons — actions performed by violent extremists, negative media representation of Islam, statements by politicians and Islamophobic groups in the U.S.”

There is a 5th reason, the American Muslim community’s passivity to terrorism committed in the name of Islam. Americans have seen how passionate and mobilized the American Muslim community can be when regarding Palestinian independence, but when ISIS, Al Qaeda or other Islamic terrorist groups commit mass slaughter, including the slaughter of Americans, the only thing the American Muslim community ever does is give a few condemnatory Tweets and press releases. It makes the American Muslim community look very, very bad when they appear to value the lives of strangers in Gaza more than the lives of their fellow Americans in Boston or San Bernardino.

• Mr. Chow

I have a feeling young Stina Chang has a Coexist bumper sticker on the back of her prius.

• lspanker

Here’s a joke for you:

Q: Why did the Berkeley liberal buy a new Prius?
      A: She ran out of room to put bumper stickers on her Volvo station wagon.

• garyfouse

Hatem Bazian gave a speech in 2004 in which he called for an intifada in the US. He also reportedly once told a college audience to check out all the Jewish names on the campus buildings. And he has the gall to speak of a civil society?

CAIR is an arm of the Muslim Brotherhood. Ask any CAIR official to condemn Hamas and watch the dance begin.

As for Islamophobia, that will end when Islamic terror, hate, intolerance and their own religious oppression of minorities end. What is important is that in spite of Bazian/CAIR’s misinformation, Muslims in America are not being persecuted. With few exceptions, Americans have shown enormous restraint. Such restraint towards Christians, Jews, Yazidis, Baha’i and other religious minorities is sadly lacking in the Muslim world.

• Dan Spitzer

Ah yes, here we have that most “tolerant” Hate’m Bazian weighing in once again vs bigotry. He regularly calls for Israel’s demise as a Jewish State, calling for it to devolve into a single Palestinian dominated entity. He and the organization he founded, SJP, scream incessantly on campuses nationwide (including UCB) that “Palestine” should extend “from the river to the sea” meaning the end of Israel. In addition to saying before a crowd of thousands at a SF peace march that we “need an intifada in the US,” Bazian on Sproul Plaza led chants extolling the most recent intifada in Israel manifest at a time when Palestinian teenagers were knifing elderly Israelis and young Jewish children on a near daily basis.

Moreover, if a people wish greater tolerance, they can’t have pronouncements such as this from the leader of an organization which is the chief funder of BDS vs Israel, the AMPNCC:
    “Israelis have to be bombed … it is wrong to maintain the State of Israel. It is an illegitimate creation” – Taher Herzallah, American Muslims for Palestine National Campus Coordinator.

In sum, when you are openly tolerant of doing harm to those don’t share your faith, you can’t reasonably expect sweetness and light from Americans who otherwise are advocates of a most open society.

• garyfouse

Ah yes, Taher Herzallah, campus coordinator of American Muslims for Palestine -co-founded by Bazian. Herzallah was also one of the so-called Irvine 11, MSU members who disrupted the speech of the Israeli ambassador at UC Irvine in 2010. A couple of years later, he and three other Irvine 11 members returned to UCI to speak at the annual bash Israel fest. When I asked them why they could not afford the same courtesy and right of free speech to the Israeli ambassador that they themselves were enjoying, they all replied that they would do it again.

• TNT

These people are no friends of freedom. They believe freedom of speech means to silence opponents instead of engaging in respectful debate. Imagine what our lives would be like with these types running a nation? oh wait….

• ShadrachSmith

Islamic participation in politics, you mean like ISIS?

• roccolore

“Islamophobia” is a term CAIR and other terror apologists use to stifle dissent and smear critics of radical Islam. And they’re not telling you that CAIR wanted to release this right after the Orlando attacks so they could play the victim.

• Dan Spitzer

One should be conversant with CAIR’s history. This is an organization which once helped fund Hamas, the Palestinian’s most popular political party. Hamas, of course, has openly called for not “merely” the killing of Israeli Jews but for worldwide Jewish genocide.

• roccolore

CAIR still helps terrorists.

• TNT

It behoves Palestinians, in particular, and Muslims, in general, to openly denounce and combat the filth that is Hamas. Such a party has no place in our world, none. Israel is a bastion of freedom, democracy, and innovation amid a sea of repression, violent intolerance, and stupidity.

• Dan Spitzer

Yes, isn’t it ironic that organizations such as CAIR, SJP and MSA wring their hands and piss and moan vs alleged intolerance while they themselves NEVER criticize Hamas, the Palestinians’ favorite political party which openly calls for planet wide Jewish genocide.

Hypocrisy is too light a word to be applied to the above…

• I would bet that almost everyone in CAIR would support sharia law in a heartbeat despite their bleatings that they are moderate and peaceful

• John Hudson

The solution to Islamophobia is for Islamics to stop committing violent terrorist crimes against the American people.

• lspanker

I’ll worry about “Islamophobia” when Muslims stop vilifying Jews and cease blaming Israel for the problems of their neighbors.

• Dan Spitzer

That’s not likely to happen. Believing that Muslims will cease their virulent incessant anti-Semitism and their calls for an end to Israel as a Jewish State would be akin to the proverbial smearing of lipstick on a pig. IOW, any pretense of tolerance they might utter would be strictly cosmetic.

Think I am in error on the above? Just ask any member of SJP and/or the Muslim Student Union on campus…

• Arafat

I’ll worry about “Islamophobia” when Muslims stop killing Jews, Hindus, Christians, Buddhists, Animists, Assyrians, Armenians, atheists, gays, and everyone else.

• John Hudson

It looks like there are a lot of votes for Donald Trump here. This is very encouraging.