More than just potato farms

kayak lake
Allison David/Staff

In the beginning of this summer I got the chance to visit Idaho with my family. I had never visited and to be honest, I wasn’t expecting much. I seriously didn’t even know where it was located on a map, and I found myself quickly getting it confused with Iowa or any other “irrelevant” state. Everyone is constantly filled with thoughts of Idaho growing potatoes, and frankly that’s the only thing I had known about it prior to my visit.

Allison David/Staff

Allison David/Staff

I mean, it’s easy to understand the misconception — they even mention it on their license plates! But trust me, even though its potatoes are exceptionally delicious, there are a lot more things you have to see when you visit Idaho.

We began our trip by flying into the Boise Airport. From here we went to visit family friends and took a beautiful sunset hike on a small public trail right off of its property.

Allison David/Staff

Allison David/Staff

One thing I can clearly say about Idaho is that it’s definitely a place you should visit if you enjoy outdoor activities and nature. The mountainous region makes for amazing hikes and viewpoints in which you can see quite beautiful sunsets.

Allison David/STAFF

Allison David/Staff

Going along with the abundance of outdoor activities, the next day we got up early and drove about 50 minutes out from the city of Boise to a region along the Payette River. Here we embarked on a white water rafting trip, and before you start to thinking I’m a daredevil, we only went on level two and three rapids (out of five). Regardless, it was a lot of fun and I would definitely recommend rafting on the Payette at some point on your imaginary prospective Idaho trip.

Allison David/Staff

Allison David/Staff

Allison David/Staff

Allison David/Staff

After our long adventurous day on the river, we drove another hour to McCall, Idaho. It seemed to me that McCall is definitely an underrated destination for family vacations.

Most of the people staying in the lodge we stayed in were Idaho natives, and we found ourselves constantly being asked how a family from Los Angeles ended up in McCall. Honestly, McCall is such a beautiful place. People from all over the United States should definitely make the trip to see it. From the pine tree-lined mountains to the serene lake, there’s so much natural beauty to be seen. Not only was the scenery beautiful, but I loved the fact that the town itself was so quaint and simple. Almost all of the restaurants in the area were family owned, and you can very easily walk from your hotel to any restaurant in the center of the city. If you’re from a big city like me, it was truly amazing to just get a small piece of what it feels like to live in a small town.

Allison David/Staff

Allison David/Staff

On our last day in McCall, we decided to rent kayaks from a woman who wound up telling me that she was a UC Berkeley Haas School of Business alumnae. After a quick discussion about how UC Berkeley is the best school in the world, she set up our kayaks for us, and we were off. It was so much fun exploring different parts of the river and keeping an eye out for wild life along the sides of the river. When we got tired of rowing, we sat still on the river and just took in all of the natural beauty that was surrounding us.

I highly recommend making a trip out to Idaho. Seriously, I know it may sound like a “random” trip, but trust me it’s beautiful.

Contact Allison David at [email protected].