Best food delivery services

pizza
Juliet Hemmati/Staff

We’ve all been there — sitting hungry at home, too tired to cook or go out and buy a meal. Luckily, here in the Bay Area, we have plenty options to remedy that. Gone are the days where your only choice was to get pizza delivered to your door. One of the fastest growing segments of the sharing economy is food delivery, with many startups starting right here in Berkeley. But with so many options, which should you choose and still get a fast, cheap and, at times, free meal? Luckily, we have you covered.

UberEATS

UberEATS just expanded to the Bay Area earlier this month and is quickly becoming a very popular option. Uber has partnered with local restaurants to allow you to order select items off of their menus. The same Uber drivers who give you rides can now bring you Indian fusion pizza from Namaste Pizza or a unique veggie burger from Saturn Cafe. We at the Clog were impressed by the quick delivery times, with orders taking around a half hour. Currently, there is no charge for delivery in the East Bay. You can get a $20 credit towards your first meal, and an extra $20 credit every time you share your referral code.

Postmates

Postmates has been operating in the Bay for a couple years and has access to more restaurants than UberEATS. It’s also not limited to restaurants and can deliver groceries and office supplies to you as well. Similar to UberEATS, Postmates works with couriers to have them go to your favorite spots and bring our food right to you. Almost every week, Postmates has a new promotion which can bring you a certain food for free, only leaving you the cost of delivery. Recent promotions have included two free boba drinks from Sharetea and free grilled cheese from the Melt. Delivery prices are based on availability, but when you sign up you can get $10 in free delivery credits and more each time you share your referral code.

EAT24

EAT24 is Yelp’s food delivery app. It’s different in that it partners directly with restaurants to get you you order. You can also choose between delivery and takeout, which is a great option if you don’t want to wait in the inevitably long line at brunch on a Sunday. Unlike the other two services, you also have the option to pay cash once the order is delivered to you, instead of paying for it online. EAT24 has the added benefit of being linked directly to Yelp so you can be sure our getting the best each restaurant has to offer. We at the Clog have generally experience longer wait times with EAT24, sometimes up to an hour. Free delivery is available from many restaurants, but at times you have to meet their order minimum.

Now the next time you’re having a lazy night, you can be sure to get a good meal delivered right to your door.

Contact Juliet Hemmati at [email protected].