Apartment warming themes

martha.eating.apartment
chris riebschlager/Creative Commons

Move-in day is quickly approaching for another fantastic academic year. While first-years will be in awe of their new residence halls, we thought about some fun and quirky ideas for returning students who are also moving into new residences.

Every month is full of unique National [fill in the blank] Days so we’ve compiled a list of the best themes specifically for August. Ditch the boring chips and BYOB apartment warmings and throw a one-of-a-kind August themed party. Bonus points for those who show up in costume.

Aug. 8 is National Dollar Day and a money-themed apartment warming will catch everyone’s attention. This can be open to interpretation, but here are a few ideas if you’re not sure where to start. In keeping with the color scheme, try challenging yourself to make all food items and drinks green. You can use Monopoly play money and scatter the bills throughout your apartment or create hanging decorations. It’s popular to make origami out of dollar bills so a contest can be held to see who can create the most impressive dollar origami. Remember chocolate gold coins? You can certainly incorporate those into the theme as well.

Aug. 9 is National Book Lover’s Day so a literary themed apartment warming party can bring out a ton of creativity among your friends. You can either pick a well-known book and hold that as the theme of the warming or ask friends to dress up as their favorite literary characters and have others guess who they are. Bonus points for serving gummy worms in cups labeled bookworms. Beer pong can be assembled Quidditch-style and movies based on books can be marathoning in the background.

Aug. 17 is National Thrift Shop Day — who doesn’t love a great thrift shop theme? Your friends will look forward to this apartment-warming theme especially since they won’t have to splurge on extravagant new clothing. Hold a contest to see who can show up to the party with the tackiest thrift shop outfit. You can even have sub-themes such as dressing up like characters or important historical figures from a certain time period (i.e. 20s, 60s, etc.) but the outfits can only be bought from thrift shops. We suggest that you put Macklemore’s “Thrift Shop” song on repeat.

Aug. 22 is National Tooth Fairy Day, and we know you’d be lying if you said you didn’t own a tutu. Grab your tiaras, wands and tutus and prepare for a glittery apartment-warming. Your guests will thank you for not making them have to decide on what to wear. You can make cupcakes and cookies in the shape of teeth and have a designated decorating area. Party favors can come in the form of travel-size toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash and floss. A scavenger hunt of white pebbles representing teeth can be hidden throughout the apartment and the person who finds the most can win a cash prize (clever, right?). It’ll be a warming to remember right before classes start.

Try out one of these themes for your next apartment-warming and happy hosting!

Contact Aamirah Dastgir at [email protected].