Summer session is over — now what?

Library_MDrummond
Michael Drummond/File

Now that your finals are over and done with, you may be questioning what to do with yourself for the next week before returning for fall. Your eye-bags may be lighter than winter finals and you may have slept more than three hours this time around for finals season. But nonetheless, you still need to recharge before the real deal — that is the fall term — begins. We at the Clog have compiled a mini bucket list to occupy that antsy Cal Bear mind.  

1. The Olympics

Well, obviously. Not only does it gives us yet another reason to show our fervent love for UC Berkeley, but it is a universal celebration of hard work and willpower which any Golden Bear can understand. Apparently, if UC Berkeley was a country, it would be ranked number six with the number of medals won! Amongst the few people worth keeping up with are all our beautiful Olympians.

2. Throw a themed rager.

During the year you’re too busy, money-strapped and exhausted to plan a party better than your last minute kickback with beer pong and Cheetos as hors d’oeuvres. Instead get creative and let your passion for “Game of Thrones” or murder mysteries play out with costumes and adorable party favors.

3.  Surround yourself with furry companions.

Think of all the times you have missed Pet Hugs events on Sproul. Now with more free time you can make up for this. The Cat Town Cafe in Oakland is worth visiting, but be warned that there is a high risk of leaving with an adorable kitten. If you’re a dog person sign up to be a dog walker. This way you will make some extra money and you’ll also have an excuse to visit places like the Berkeley Marina for the sake of taking gorgeous walks.         

4. Go skydiving or do something equally as daring.

OK, this is a bit cliché and may not be completely feasible but it’s on the list nonetheless to inspire a sense of adventure, which is unfortunately unfamiliar to too many Golden Bears. No time is more perfect to take a last minute road trip or go to a concert alone if your friends are being lame. Remember that spontaneity comes from within and waiting on others to be “in the mood” will never let you exercise that spontaneous muscle in your brain. 

5. Read for fun.

No, this does not mean starting class readings early (we at the Clog will not condone this). After all, a good amount of learning does come from outside the classroom. Reading is definitely a lost art form as our society has become accustomed to skimming and reading online tidbits. The Daily Californian has an abundance of reading lists if you are blanking over where to start. Also, this is a good opportunity to catch up with world events after being so caught up in Berkeley bubble. Golden Bears don’t have to step outside campus to realize that the world does not revolve around them. We Golden Bears of all people know how important, fulfilling and just plain sexy it is to stay educated and informed!

6. Immerse yourself in your hobbies.

It’s time to pick up your poor, dusty clarinet and recall the golden days of band class. Or you can resume those dance classes you put on hold. While a week may be too short to dedicate yourself to a new interest, there should be nothing stopping you from reviving your talents put on the back burner for so long.

There’s only a little over a week to take advantage of your short respite from classes, but make the most of it and take some me time.

Contact Angelica Zocchi at [email protected].