Tunesday: Political race 2016

Election years come and go, but this year’s political race really came through. We’ve got one of the most uproarious election seasons our country has ever seen. While some candidates stepped down from the podium, others flourished throughout the primaries’ progression; supporters grew, campaigns grew, overall political craze grew. As the election season narrows down to its final few months, let us reminisce its most significant times through the tunes of our candidates.

“Run the World (Girls)” by Beyoncé

“Who run the world? Girls.”

Whatever stance you take, whomever you support, it’s impossible to ignore the power of Hillary Clinton’s nomination success. Hillary Clinton has been named the first female nominee of the Democratic Party — or any United States political party for that matter. While being female isn’t all that Hillary is, it is inevitable that women across the country will feel empowered by this landmark in American history. So, who run the world? Girls.

“Disco Inferno” by The Trammps

“Burn baby burn”

“We need a political revolution,” preached Bernie Sanders. After his rallies, this song, “Disco Inferno” would play. Its upbeat tone was meant to create a fun, lively atmosphere. This song is reminiscent of the Bernie Sanders’ campaign because of the feeling of hope it gave to his supporters. It symbolized the desire for a new beginning via a leader they could trust to be authentic and take risks throughout their presidency. And with the lyrics of “burn baby burn,” it couldn’t have been more appropriate for Bernie’s campaign.

“We Are the Champions” by Queen

“We are the champions, my friends

And we’ll keep on fighting ’til the end”

Winning is what Trump enjoys best. “We will have so much winning if I get elected that you may get bored with the winning,” he confidently stated. Throughout his campaign, Trump has always reached for the extreme, never compromising midway or settling for less. Needless to say, Trump’s choice to play the classic “We Are the Champions” at the Republican National Convention was the appropriate touch — although Queen did publicly call out Trump for the unauthorized use of the song. Trump has made great strides throughout his campaign, making history with his impact on the Republican party.

“Superwoman” by Alicia Keys

“For all the mothers fighting

For better days to come

And all my women, all my women sitting here trying

To come home before the sun”

Despite Bernie’s defeat, plenty of Bernie supporters have still been rallying around him. While there are Bernie supporters who have changed position to support Hillary Clinton, others keep fighting for his policies to be respected and recognized. But it doesn’t exactly stop there. Before Alicia Keys’ performance at the Democratic National Convention, she spoke out in encouragement for Sanders and Clinton supporters to come together and unify against Trump. For this election’s playlist, “Superwoman” by Alicia Keys is meant to restore hope and strength for those who feel they’ve lost it.

“Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagles Fly” by Aaron Tippin

“I pledge allegiance to this flag

And if that bothers you, well that’s too bad

But if you got pride and you’re proud you do

Hey, we could use some more like me and you

Where the stars and stripes and the eagle fly”

Last but not least, we can’t forget the infamous Ted Cruz. Runner-up for the Republican nomination, the Canadian-born candidate has established a unique name for himself in this year’s election season. While Cruz had some viral slips throughout his campaign (such as memes joking he was the Zodiac Killer, accidentally elbowing his wife in the face, the feud with Donald Trump… you get it), there is no doubt that he tried his best to push through the tedious process that is the presidential election. Given its passionate lyrics, “Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagles Fly” by Aaron Tippin — which was played at Cruz rallies — appropriately embraces Cruz’s commitment to his position as a dedicated candidate and political figure.

Contact Maybelle Caro at [email protected].