Bed-bug discovery prompts closure of MLK Jr. Student Union building

The Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union building, a popular student study area and home to dozens of student organizations, was partially closed after bed bugs were discovered Tuesday on the second floor.

According to campus spokesperson Adam Ratliff, the pests were found in a seating cushion on the second floor and likely originated from a visitor. With thousands of students set to arrive next week ahead of fall classes that start Wednesday, some areas in the building will remain closed until Sunday, he said.

At this time, measures are being taken to detect if bedbugs are present elsewhere and, as a precaution, potentially impacted areas of the Student Union have been closed to the public,” Ratliff said in an email.

The furniture where the bugs were found has since been removed, according to Ratliff. ASUC staff and campus pest services will treat the area with chemical and steam applications to prevent the possibility of an infestation.

The Amazon campus store, located on the building’s second floor, reopened Friday at 9 a.m. for order pickups and returns, and will remain open until 9 p.m., according to its Facebook page.

Alexander Barreira is the university news editor. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @abarreira_dc.

• courtesy of our friends and neighbors from people’s park

• Yoni Mayeri

Bed bugs show up in the poshest hotels, no one knows where these particular specimens came from. With thousands of daily human visitors to CAL, from points across the globe, it’s impossible to know how these critters hitched their ride into Berkeley.