Man shot in southwest Berkeley Thursday night marks city’s first homicide this year

8/30/2016: This story has been updated to reflect new information from Berkeley Police Department. 

A man was shot and later died Thursday night in southwest Berkeley, after the Berkeley Police Department responded to the city’s first confirmed homicide this year, according to a crime alert from police.

Officers responded to multiple reports of gunshots in the area of Mabel Street and Burnett Street around 11:58 p.m., the alert stated, finding the victim — 22 year old Berkeley resident Alex Goodwin Jr. — unresponsive. According to the alert, he was later pronounced dead at the Alameda County Hospital after being transported from the scene by BPD.

“We don’t believe that there is an immediate threat to the community as the shooting does not appear to have been random,” the crime alert stated. “We are asking for the community’s assistance with the furtherance of the investigation.”

Homicide detectives are still determining the number of suspects involved in the shooting, said BPD spokesperson, Sgt. Andrew Frankel.

BPD is asking anyone with information about the incident to anonymously call the department at 510-981-5741. Additionally, the city is offering a $15,000 reward for information about the suspect or suspects.

Check back for updates. 

Alexander Barreira is the university news editor. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @abarreira_dc.