Mermaids, unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster

outtageday2_BAKER1
Carli Baker/File

We’ve all been there before. Groaning in exasperation while we hop between the 12 scheduling tabs that we have open on our desktop. Somehow our schedules are still flaming hot messes despite stalking Berkeleytime, ratemyprofessor.com and Telebears  CalCentral like that cute guy from last week’s frat party.

Eventually we just submit to the fact that our dream schedules, just like our dreams about aforementioned cute frat guy, are infeasible and must be let go. Once we’ve given up on most of our scheduling hopes, the idea of “taking a class for fun” almost always arises. You know what we’re talking about, that myth of completing a whole class for an entire semester solely for the purpose of gaining knowledge. On the long list of unbelievable myths in this world, taking a class for fun is a close runner up to mermaids, unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster.

We get that some people just really love learning and are able to get stoked out of their minds over acquiring information in a classroom. However, the phrase “taking a class for fun” is a contradiction within an oxymoron all bundled up in a lie that’s dripping in hypocrisy. We at the Clog are here to call this bluff and expose the truth.

For starters, is it really even possible to take a class for fun? When we think of fun the first things that come to mind are Disneyland and napping. Not midterms, attendance, finals and papers. If there’s a person out there that genuinely gets off on research papers and caffeine-fueled all-nighters, please take them to the Tang Center immediately. We get that we’re all nerds here, but there’s no need to front that your sustenance is memorizing lecture slides. It’s great that you like your classes, but calling any coursework outright fun warrants some serious side-eye.

There must be some ulterior motives involved in this whole suspect situation of taking a class for enjoyment. We won’t judge if you admit the real reason you’re just taking a class is purely “for fun”. Hey man, if Celtic Studies is what gets your gears going, we won’t doubt you. Are you low key trying to minor in German? Laying the groundwork for a change in your major? Live your dreams, people. Just don’t pretend like there’s no reason you’re surrendering precious nap time for a seemingly random course.

They say that education is priceless, but that’s clearly a pack of lies. Learning certainly comes with a price tag, the astronomical cost of which makes it tough to justify not taking a class for a specific requirement. We’re not going to crunch the numbers here, but even us non-math majors can guesstimate that it’s costing an awful lot to take a class just for kicks.

If you really love learning that much and are genuinely just taking a class for fun, we applaud you. As you can see, we really don’t know how you do it.

Contact Amanda Chung at [email protected].