Chalk graffiti targeting LGBT community appears on Telegraph Avenue, Sproul

grafitti_JakeFineman
Jake Fineman/Courtesy

Chalk graffiti allegedly supporting the “straight liberation movement” and advocating a “straight-only safe space” appeared on parts of Telegraph Avenue and Sproul Plaza this week, according to UCPD Sgt. Nicole Miller.

The graffiti first appeared on upper Sproul Plaza on Sunday, according to campus senior Jake Fineman. Fineman said the graffiti included phrases such as “stop looking gay” and “straight liberation movement.”

Miller said UCPD was aware of the vandalism and had identified a suspect. She added that the incidents had been contained to Sproul Plaza and the intersection of Bancroft Way and Telegraph Avenue, and that campus police are following up on the incident.

After the graffiti was washed off Sproul Plaza, Fineman said, it reappeared the next day and extended down Sproul Plaza to include phrases such as “stop the gay and bisexual harassment of straight men.” The chalk graffiti has appeared every night since Tuesday, according to Fineman.

Fineman later reported the incidents on Thursday to the campus Centers for Educational Justice & Community Engagement, which has an online form for submitting hate crime reports to the UC system.

The center defines a hate crime as an illegal act motivated by bias or prejudice against a person or persons perceived to be part of a group, and includes group-targeting vandalism or graffiti located where it will be seen by members of the group.

Check back for updates. 

Anderson Lanham is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @AndersonLanham.

• Eric Panzer

Here’s a fantastically simple solution: Grab some chalk, amend it to “Sexual Liberation Movement,” and turn the male/female symbols into trans symbols. Tada! A new and improved message!

• Tribecca

Thanks for posting this, someone has been chalking SLM outside the 12th St BART station in Oakland for months, adding it again when it washes away. I finally looked it up because no one in my office could figure out what it meant.

• Nentuaby

This was not actually limited to the noted areas. It’s been all up and down Shattuck through downtown, as well.

• Lateral_Resonance

I’ll repost what I said on Reddit:

I get the upset surrounding this, which is totally legitimate. But why give this (probably) lone
    crank with sidewalk chalk a platform by putting it in the news? That’s
    probably EXACTLY what he (almost positive it was a he) wanted. It’s chalk. I saw
    one of these, rinsed it down with my water bottle and walked away
    unfazed.

If you catch them in the act feel free to chastise them, but I
    guarantee you this person is at home getting a giddy thrill from all the
    attention, knowing full well this won’t fly with people around here. In
    fact, I would be very surprised if this person was actually trying to
    accomplish any real gains for this ’cause’. It seems like a big troll to
    me.

• lspanker

This chalk graffiti looks more like it’s ridiculing political correctness, not targeting LGBT groups. It’s clear that college students have become a bunch of hypersensitive special snowflakes, relishing the opportunity to play the victim at every opportunity.