Now that the semester has started, it seems like summer is finally over. We’re going back to school, back to work and back to single-serving frozen dinners. But even though colder weather is coming to us, for half the world the summer is just getting started. Let’s take a foray into the cuisine of the southern hemisphere to get a little taste of Brazilian summers.
In Brazil, the avocado is thought of as a fruit used in sweets, and is often used to make desserts and ice cream. A refreshing smoothie can be just the right pick-me-up to keep you fresh, just like a nice summer breeze. So here’s recipe to make your own: vitamina de abacate, Brazil’s own sweet avocado smoothie.
1 large avocado
Dry milk (or condensed milk if not available)
- Cut the avocado in half.
- Use a spoon to scoop the inside of the avocado halves into a blender.
- Add enough milk to the blender to cover the avocado pieces completely.
- Depending on how sweet you’d like your final drink to be, add anywhere from a generous spoonful to a whole cup of sugar to the mix.
- Finally, add two generous spoonfuls of powdered milk. Add a whole small can if you’re using condensed milk.
- Now that you’ve sufficiently added enough fruit, milk and sweetness to overly satisfy each food group, blend on medium until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Serve the drink up in your favorite chilled glass, remembering that it’s always summer somewhere.
Fique tranquilo e aproveite!
Contact Raeline Valbuena at [email protected].