California to continue contracting private prisons

prisons_creativeCommons_Eflatmajor7th
Eflatmajor7th/Creative Commons

While the U.S. Department of Justice has announced it will begin phasing out its contracts with private prisons, California will continue contracting private prisons to house state-level inmates.

More than 9,000 California state inmates are housed in private prisons, with the bulk of those imprisoned in Arizona and Mississippi. In addition to the two out-of-state prisons, California contracts with eight in-state prisons of varying sizes.

The state continues to use private prisons in order to bring down its overall prison population in compliance with a court order, according to Joe Orlando, a spokesperson for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, which is in charge of California’s 180,000 inmates.

The state has been less forceful about backing away from private prisons because of its issues with overcrowding, according to Barry Krisberg, a visiting fellow for the Institute for the Study of Societal Issues at UC Berkeley.

“We’re hoping over the next few years to get our prison population where we’re able to have those out-of-state inmates in our California prisons,” Orlando said, adding that California has no specific timeline for reducing the state’s contracts with private prisons.

The DOJ released a memo mid-August that instructed officials to reduce the number of contracts with private prisons. The memo cited the difference in services, safety and cost between public and private prisons.

The Corrections Corporation of America owns the two out-of-state prisons used by California. In a statement, CCA Director of Public Affairs Jonathan Burns said that the company disputed the DOJ’s criticisms of private prisons, noting that the DOJ announcement only relates to Federal Bureau of Prisons correctional facilities — only 7 percent of the CCA’s business.

“Private prisons made a lot of claims that they would be better than public prisons, and none of those claims have proven to be true,” Krisberg said, adding that prisoners in public and private prisons are viewed differently under the law.

The CDCR hopes to eliminate its overcrowding problem in part by no longer taking as many nonserious criminals who reoffend. If they do reoffend, they would then enter county systems, Orlando said.

Private prisons have begun focusing on county jails, according to Krisberg.

The University of California sold off its investments in private prisons in late 2015 after prompting from Black Student Unions across the UC system. The Afrikan Black Coalition, or ABC, on campus was instrumental in pushing that change forward.

“ABC believes that it is abhorrent that private prisons are allowed to operate in California,” ABC Political Director Yoel Haile said in an email. “It is morally corrupt for corporations to exist whose sole source of profit is the caging of human beings en masse.”

Contact Anna Sturla at [email protected].

• Tina Armstrong

My son is an inmate at Golden State in McFarland CA. He and others are being denied credits held longer, so that the private prison owners can make another $150.00/day off each. That’s tax dollars from CA taxpayers. They ship them as far away as Mississippi too. More money for them. Asst. Warden Meyer and Educational Proctor Ms. Manzo from Bakersfield College are committing fraud. They should be in their private prison.

• Kitcat_007

Now we know WHY there is no and never will be ANY rehabilitation of inmates! It is a conflict of interest on behalf of a privately owned prison, to rehabilitate any inmate! There is just waay to much to say about this satanic policy!

• Villainess

But sadly, it is far more than the profit-gleaning private prisons that resist rehabilitation programs. Here in California, land of many fires, even public prisons supply the nearly free labor depended upon to fight our wildfires. The prisoners that provide this dangerous labor are also those that are most likely to make excellent early release subjects, since they are well trusted with high levels of freedom in camps outside their prison campuses, and also fed much better food. As long as my state depends on this nearly free labor, very little can be done to change prison sentences.

• Kitcat_007

@Villainess, that would be great IF, the inmates WERE NOT proven gang members. Unfortunately, MANY of them are, many years ago I knew a grandmother, whose daughter married one of them. She said that the gangs PLAN many of these wild fires, to “help” their “homies on the inside EARN money,” so that when they get out, they will have some money. Back then (over 25 yrs ago), she said these inmates could “earn” an average of $1k per year. If they stayed in 6 years they could walk out of prison with $6K.

So think about it, you have a system that SEEMS POSITIVE & REHABILITATIVE, yet the DEEPLY INGRAINED gang (those not locked up) culture in California is STARTING FIRES TO ENRICH their own “incarcerated families,” while INNOCENT PEOPLE & WILDLIFE PAY THE ULTIMATE “PRICE!!”

Sorry, the this system, is incentivising STARTING FIRES ! This is what happens when people THINK they can make a deal with the devil, they get “BURNED !!!”

• Villainess

Certainly an actual rehabilitation program would offer many of these prisoners an out from a culture that gave them no better options. But, I fear you assume guilt at a level that is seldom proven in court in front of any jury. The vast majority of modern inmates have never seen a day in court, but bullied and faced with no options, cop the demanded plea for a lower risk of the threatened decades rather than years in captivity. You many be correct in the broad sense, but each individual inmate has NOT been proven guilty, and has found themself none-the-less, a forced slave to capitalistic cost-cutters ($1.30 A DAY without any labor protections) and a future of prison debt.

• Villainess

Key word?

‘Proven’!

Most convicts, today, are threatened with such extreme punishment that they ‘consent’ to plea deals and never even see the jury that our constitution guarantees. Many are surely guilty of violent crimes, but most are drug crimes and they are not necessarily ‘proven’ guilty of any. And police power can make many confess to crimes they did not commit before they ever see a defense lawyer or prosecutor. It happens all the time. But once the plea is made no appeals are allowed.

Then, once inside, prison survival depends on having a support network, which means a race-based gang. Prison is not at all rehabilitative, it is hard-core punishment with forced enslavement to the greediest of mega-corporations for around a $1.50 A DAY, not even an hour! When they finally get out, no one will hire them because of their prison record. They leave prison in debt for their exorbitant and monopolized ‘in prison expenses’ to face utter impoverishment and a life of homelessness and no Social Security for their years of forced labor.

For the entire world, we have both the highest rate and largest population in our prison system. And of all the industrialized ‘first world’ nations we have the lowest level of rehabilitation.

But go ahead, blame our prisoners for our sick society.

• Kitcat_007

Go back and REREAD my prior comment. I was speaking about the GANG MEMBERS “ON THE OUTSIDE OF PRISON,” WHO DELIBERATELY SET FOREST FIRES, to help their incarcerated fellow gang members, so that their fellow gang members CAN EARN REGULAR INCOME WHILE INCARCERATED, so they build up a “nest egg” to use after they are released !!!!

If you refuse to focus on THIS SUBJECT, then YOU EXPOSE YOURSELF AS A TROLL FOR CLICKBAIT !!!

• Irish Lass

The private prison system is full of abuse and offers unjust enrichment for those in the business of incarceration. These contracts guarantee bed counts. Victimless crimes are filling these beds, the abuses are rampant. Prisons for profit must end. Our school systems are suffering, funds cut, yet the STATE continues to pour funds into prisons? Californians do not need more prisons, we need less politicians playing House of Cards. Jury NULLIFICATION needs to be taught to jurors, not denied.