2 juvenile males arrested on suspicion of robbery, assault, carjacking

Two juvenile males are facing charges of robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and carjacking after allegedly stealing an elderly woman’s car and subsequently hitting her with it Tuesday night, according to Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel.

According to a BPD crime alert, a group of four suspects approached the victim in an SUV while she was getting out of her car at the intersection of California Street and Oregon Street. The alert stated that one of the men proceeded to punch the victim in the face, causing her to fall to the ground, while another took her bag.

Through an interpreter, the victim said she then found herself behind her car when one of the suspects — who was at the wheel — reportedly backed into her with it and dragged her for a short distance before she freed herself, the alert stated.

The SUV and the victim’s vehicle were reported to be seen driving away from the scene, southbound on California Street toward Ashby Avenue.

Officers found the victim on the ground with life threatening injuries around 5:30 p.m. and Berkeley Fire Department transported her to the Alameda County Hospital where she underwent surgery for her injuries, the alert said. The victim is expected to survive and was able to talk with BPD on Wednesday morning, though she is in intensive care, according to Frankel.

Oakland Police Department received reports Wednesday morning that a suspicious car had been dropped in a driveway on the 3000 block of Davis Street and that four juvenile males were allegedly spotted walking away from the vehicle. OPD ran the license plate and found that it matched that of the stolen vehicle, the alert said.

After arriving on the scene, OPD officers attempted to detain a group of four juveniles that met the description given by the resident in the surrounding area, but the group fled to the surrounding neighborhood, according to the alert. OPD conducted an extensive block search and arrested two of the suspects, both of whom are Oakland residents.

The two other suspects — described by Frankel as Black juvenile males — remain at large.

The detained suspects were transported to BPD, which is investigating the case. BPD is currently seeking further information about the case from community members.

Check back for updates.

Jessica Lynn is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jessicailynn.