Anti-Semitic posters found throughout campus

Since Wednesday, multiple students and faculty have reported the presence of posters throughout campus that were determined by UC Berkeley administration to contain anti-Semitic rhetoric.  

In a campuswide email Thursday, Associate Chancellor Nils Gilman stated that the posters violated both the UC Berkeley Principles of Community and the UC regents’ Principles Against Intolerance. The posters allege that the Jewish community inhibits free speech on campus and reference the United States’ recent deal to give Israel $38 billion in military aid money over the next 10 years.

According to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof, additional posters were spotted Thursday. Mogulof said these posters were being removed by facility services as fast as possible.

“As we have in the past … for similar incidents … these are just things that the campus is going to make very clear that they’re going to react (to) very quickly no matter who the targeted group is, in the sense of our campus beliefs,” Mogulof said.

The campus’s “time, place, and manner” rules stipulate that, while free expression is welcomed, it cannot interfere with the campus’s operation or others’ rights to expression and may not damage or impinge on campus property.

According to John Efron, campus professor of Jewish history, the presence of the posters is in line with a trend of anti-Semitism on campus and within universities nationwide.

“One of the grave problems with anti-Semitism today is having it taken seriously,” Efron said. “All too frequently, both on and off campus, claims of anti-Semitism are dismissed as either completely fabricated or greatly exaggerated. Asking Jews to defend their claims that they’d been subjected to anti-Semitism or explain what they mean by their experience places them in the dock and on trial.”

Adam Naftalin-Kelman, the rabbi and executive director of Berkeley Hillel, agreed with Efron and said many Jewish students feel that the majority of the student body ignores anti-Semitism at UC Berkeley.

Younus Al-Bojermi, a junior transfer student, said there was similar intolerance against the Palestinian community on campus.  Al-Bojermi said in his first day in the DeCal “Palestine: A Settler Colonial Analysis, he found a poster on the door that contained anti-Palestinian rhetoric.

“Anti-Semitism, or any type of prejudice is a bad thing,” Al-Bojermi said. “(I) strongly condemn any hate crimes.”

The President of the Jewish Student Union Josh Woznica said the strength of the Jewish community on campus is sometimes overshadowed by the hate crimes, and the campus should focus on how to move forward from these incidents.

The perpetrators of the anti-Semitic posters have not been found and, according to Mogulof, there is no evidence to suggest that they are affiliated with campus. In the email, Gilman urged the campus community to report any further incidents to campus administration.

Contact Sakura Cannestra at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.

• Usb Cable

Looks like another false flag. Jews are very well-known for painting swastikas etc etc. They really want to keep the whole “anti-semitism” conspiracy theory alive.

• Daniel

Things will certainly heat up. As with any radical left or right, if they are not sanctioned they will see it as a Yes.
    One org that has been at the front in street thuggery is SJP founded by the very man who sponsored the course in Berkeley demonizing Israel. He is an Islamist who is mixing Islamist liberation doctrine and the West’s anti imperialist narrative. This has obviously struck a core. Because some SJP chapters ( Tennessee Knoxville Uni. ) are haven’s for antisemite’s and Hitler lovers ( see Canary Mission and their acxellent work on this ). Across Western Universities we will see a rise not only in anti Israel rhetoric but also clear anti Western/USA language of which again Hatem Bazian is a proponent and instrumental in the academic mainstreaming of this.
    It is an anti-capitalist narrative which we know from the 70s.

• shrinkDave

Waiting patiently for the haters to take themselves down. Bank on it.

• Dan Spitzer

Although there are some who are unreasonably critical of Israel, a certain percentage are not anti-Semitic. Unfortunately, Hanson represents those who are clearly bigots. I won’t engage in further discussion with you or any other bigot, be they anti-Jewish, anti-black, anti-Muslim, etc. It would be good if those who support the Palestinians excise such bigots as seen above from their ranks if they hope to have any credibility…

• Ellen Hanson

“I won’t engage in further discussion” ,,,

When name calling fails, Dan takes a powder.

• Dan Spitzer

Hanso, every decent person who reads what you have written above should recognize that you are an unvarnished anti-Semite and correspondingly, everything you write is tainted with your ignorance and overt hatred of Jews…

• SamXie

I’ve flagged the Holocaust denial comment, that links to neo-nazi sites. I urge you all to do the same

• Bad As Can

Why is the name of the group responsible for these posters being kept secret?

• Val Halen

“Younus Al-Bojermi, a junior transfer student, said there was similar intolerance against the Palestinian community on campus. Al-Bojermi said in his first day in the DeCal “Palestine: A Settler Colonial Analysis,” he found a poster on the door that contained anti-Palestinian rhetoric.”

WGAF. This is a non-sequitur.

• Dan Spitzer

Interesting. Patently anti-Semitic posters are found on campus. But the pro-Palestinian minion doesn’t condemn this overt bigotry in response to this incident. Instead, they use these odious posters as an excuse to slam Israel.

Conclusion: there is a great deal of unmitigated anti-Semitism among the pro-Palestinian contingent, students and faculty alike. This is just the latest example of the correlation between SJP, MSU and hatred of Jews…

• shrinkDave

This Palestinian generated antisemitism has gone on with impunity for years. Jews are a tolerant bunch; but lines have been crossed, and Jews are finally responding.

• Dan Spitzer

Unfortunately, the administration and faculty are easily cowed by the pro-Palestinian minion, who have shamelessly mixed their defense of the Palestinians with their now overt hatred of Jews. And then they wrap themselves under the rubric of “free speech,” passing off propaganda as education. Recently, Dean Hesse has proven that she will cave whenever she wishes to avoid controversy.

Naturally, Bazian and his cronies are always first to call any criticism of Muslims as “Islamophobia,” while they denigrate Jews in general and Israel in particular as the planet’s villains. Then they bellyache to the administration and some faculty who often seem oblivious to what any reasonable individual would clearly see as anti-Semitism…

• Usb Cable

Look the the two jews and their circle jerk echo chamber of anti-White bigotry.

• Troy_Davis

No they are not “a tolerant bunch”. If you think muslims are bad jews are 10 times as bad. Look at the reasons no matter if right-wing or left-wing of why people don’t like them. Sure you can go and listen to everything on American TV but it’s ran entirely by jewish people. I can’t find even one TV network that isn’t in the US. They are a hateful bunch.
        antisemitism used to mean someone who hated jews; but now it means someone a jewish person doesn’t like.

• Val Halen

You are using hateful tropes from the Middle Ages

Good job dikc

• Usb Cable

The anti-White and anti-Christian hate of the inbred freaks who follow the Talmud has gone on not only with impunity, but is institutionally ingrained at the University of California. I guess there’s a reason the followers of the Talmud were barred from attending universities for centuries. Whites are a tolerant bunch; but lines have been crossed, and I think the next “antifa” commie homosexual maggot that interferes with me will be losing some teeth.

• Usb Cable

If jews were not such supremacist, chauvinist bigots who hate Whites, Christians, Muslims, and just about everyone else, maybe you wouldn’t have this problem. Why don’t you stop promoting your Talmudic degeneracy and supremacist hate, and join the human race?

• SamXie

Anti-Israel groups are organizing. This was sent out in an email blast.

The American Muslims for Palestine sincerely thanks our supporters, Palestine Legal, student groups and others who took action this week after the University of California Berkeley gave into to Zionist pressure and cancelled a class on Palestine two weeks into the semester.

Thanks to you and all the others who called and emailed university officials to protest this flagrant violation of students’ First Amendment rights and academic freedom, the university reinstated the class, “Palestine: A Settler Colonial Analysis,” Monday morning. In addition to the teacher, 26 other students were impacted by the disruptive censorship.

“This reversal is absolute proof that direct action works,” said Taher Herzallah, AMP national campus coordinator. “Don’t ever think your effort doesn’t matter because it does in a big way as we continue to work for justice in Palestine.”

Please read this important message from our chairman, Dr. Hatem Bazian, a senior lecturer at the University of California Berkeley and the faculty advisor to the student-led class and then take action.

BazianIt is a great day for academic freedom and free speech at the University of California, Berkeley now that the university’s administration has officially lifted the “suspension” on the Palestine: A Settler Colonial Analysis course. The administration’s reversal should be seen as a direct result of the massive academic and community response to the highly political decision that censored academic inquiry.

I am happy for student facilitator Paul Hadweh and the students enrolled in the class, who worked diligently and under duress to counter the misrepresentations and false information disseminated about the course. As the faculty sponsor I celebrate this victory, but I also believe that the university administration owes all of us—Paul, the students in the class, the campus community, and the public at large—an apology for taking part in the negative campaign directed at the course, furthering political distortions related to it, and tarnishing the good name and standing of a student and his faculty sponsor.

During our meeting with Dean Carla Hesse, she asked for changes to the content and said she considered the course one sided and a type of “political indoctrination;” she even displayed the course poster to point at Israel’s exclusion from it. Paul Hadweh directed the Dean’s attention to the text on the poster, which actually mentioned Israel and described in detail the shifts in land and territory held by Israel. I then asked Dean Hesse to point out Israel’s borders on the map depicted in the poster since she wanted us to demarcate them. At that point, the Dean put the poster away, evidently realizing the poster was not inaccurate.

The discussion in our meeting with Dean Hesse was not about procedural matters but rather about the content of the course and the claims based on the letter that originated from the 43 external ideologically committed groups. The Dean’s letter reversing the decision adds insult to injury by continuing to push the distorted narrative that the university action was merely procedural and not political.

The unstated reason the course was suspended is because it was titled “Palestine: A Settler Colonial Analysis” and because it approached the subject through a de-colonial lens. Had the course been titled “America: A Settler Colonial Analysis” and used a de-colonial approach, no one from the Regents to the Dean’s office would have suspended the course. Neither would they have thrown the student facilitator, the sponsoring faculty, and campus academic policies collectively under the bus. We should be clear that the cause for this travesty was the result of external political pressure, and yet the Dean’s letter continues to spin-doctor the facts.

What we need is an apology, not more spin-doctoring!

• Daniel

Thanks for posting that. Bazian is a piece of work. See his YT lectures. 100% Islamist.

• Hank Chapot

“It is a shame that UC allow’s political religious activists to front as
    academics and to misuse this Western tradition to spread their hate.”

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/research/berkeley-institute-for-jewish-law-and-israel-studies/

• Hank Chapot

All you need do is substitute Sharia for Jewish Law, or even American Constitutional Law for Jewish Law and you will need to ask some questions. And these students wanted just one class…

• SamXie

They had no choice. The Saudi millions tainted the department of Mid-east studies. There was no room for Israeli studies in that department

• Hank Chapot

Yeah, Israel is so fragile and special it needs its own department. But how do you square Jewish law with American pluralism?

• Daniel

I think the Jew’s have served the USA very well. And there is no worry about Jewish law in the US. What are you on about ? You have issues with Jew’s ?

• Troy_Davis

How have they served well? By trying to destroy culture? By AIPAC lobbying for more immigrants and the TPP? NAFTA? ADL’s Transgender bathrooms? Forcing someone to bake a cake for gay people? Bush wars? Obama wars? Trump? Hillary? What leftist causes have jews created that have “served” America so well? I’d really LOVE to hear your magical thinking on this one? I could use a laugh.

What does your favorite (jewish owned) US TV station tell you to say as your taking point on that one?

• Val Halen

Hey “Troy”

You’re not going to win over hearts and mind here with your outdated conspiracy theories and historical revisionism

GTFOH

• Daniel

Many screen writers, movie director’s and of course actors were/are Jewish. US architects and real estate developers, doctor’s and of course many academics. The list is endless. US Hebrew’s have excelled in the US and have made incredible contribution’s to US culture as a whole.

• Daniel

Silicon valley in all its aspects has also been served well by Jewish people.

• Bad As Can

Man you are stupid AF

• Arafat

Other than the fact that western law sprang forth from Judaic law I have no idea how to square it.

• SamXie

http://canada.berkeley.edu/ Canadian studies at UC Berkeley. Because Canada is so fragile and special

• Hank Chapot

” There was no room for Israeli studies in that department” Yeah, without push back.

• Daniel

Jewish culture and Jew’s have been part of the West for 2000 years. It is part of us. I doubt wether we want a world run by Hatem Bazian and his world view. There is nothing wrong with studying Israel studies. nothing wrong with one of the oldest cultures on the planet.
      Berkeley will see where it ends with the people Bazian feeds it. Just listen to his online lectures and you get his lovely Leftist anti Western anti capitalist pro Islamist drill. That man is pure evil.

• Hank Chapot
    • Troy_Davis

That’s ironic and kind of silly since communism is a jewish invention in the first place.

• Hank Chapot
  • Hank Chapot
    • SamXie

That means tens of thousands of American academics haven’t. Why do you think that will bolster your cause? And why are you trying to hijack an article on antisemitism on campus with this nonsense?

• Val Halen

Hey “Hank”,

You may be well-intended and you could even be a nice guy.

In reality people like you perpetuate the Nakba. The wretched Palestinians deserve better than what you have to offer.

• jrabin
    • Dan Spitzer

Thank you for the twitter link. The poster reflects the perspective of Bazian and SJP. Those who are not disturbed by this and what is happening on UC campuses vis-a-vis the accelerated growth of anti-Semitism are revealing a bigotry unacceptable to any ethical academic climate.

It is apparent that the Regents must enforce their resolution against hatred of Jews, because there are too many on campus who are willing to either support anti-Semitism at Cal or to ignore this festering sore now becoming toxic…

• SamXie

Students for Justice in Palestine (Often called Students for Just Us in Palestine) has such a poisonous reputation on campus that a new, softer gentler group is forming- “Bears for Palestine” Looks like100% overlap between the groups, though

• SebastianBassi

is there a photo of the poster so I can see how antisemitism looks like today?

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Beware of alleged acts of anti-Semitism on campuses. It has been shown that those who put up anti-Semitic symbols are usually those who preach anti-Palestinianism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/03/18/another-swastika-at-gw-this-one-was-posted-by-a-jewish-student/

• Dan Spitzer

BigSticks consistently posts such anti-Jewish commentary that his rubbish does not warrant dignifying with a response…

• Arafat

I struggle with this conundrum. I’ve found there are many, many coksukers like BigSticks and engaging them only enables them. My approach has been to use their comments as a way to inform people about anti-Semitism or to spread information about Islam’s sadistic and supremacist core tenets. Any thoughts?

• Dan Spitzer

When comments are patently anti-Semitic on a regular basis, such as Big Stick, Michael Hess and another commentator now banned from this site are prone to be, the most important post is to let readers know that Jew-hatred is a consistent part of their rationale for writing on the DC internet page. Open-minded readers will get it; the bigots will or course not.

But these people like to stir the pot with their toxic biases and I tend to not give them the attention their anti-Semitic mindless tantrums desire. On the other hand, posters like Arafat, Ispanker and Sam Xie always have a pertinent rejoinder. Arafat, I like your approach…

• Dan Spitzer

CA, on Saturday, got Gov Jerry Brown’s signature on an anti-BDS bill for the state. Numerous other states have passed similar bills.

So what has the pro-Palestinian minion achieved on CA campuses and elsewhere? Nothing but the significant growth of anti-Semitism as represented by the posters found recently on the Cal campus.

As for the Palestinians, the BDS movement has garnered them nothing…

• Hank Chapot

You got a blacklist I want to be on it.

• Troy_Davis

If that’s really the case then why do US POLITICIANS need to FORCE people to NOT boycott someone? It flies directly in the face of the 1st Amendment in the Constitution of the United States of America. I, like many others, both left and right, don’t take very kindly to some political hack telling us who we must and cannot buy from or boycott.

• Val Halen

No

First of all, individuals are free to boycott whatever they want without fear of government interference of Liberty. Of course the government may chose to avoid doing business wth boycotters, but that is not inconsistent with the constitution.

For institutions, boycott, according to Supreme Court rulings, is not considered to be protected speech when it goes against the dimplomatic positions of the government.
            You are flat out wrong.

• Gene Nelson

And then you responded a second time.

• Troy_Davis

That’s all fine and good about Islam’s sadistic and supremacist core tenets but what about the other side of that coin: Jewish sadistic and supremacist core tenets. Lets be consistent about it.

• Arafat

Tell me Troy if Judaism is sadistic and supremacist like Islam why is it that even though Judaism has been extant for two times longer than Islam why is it there are 14 million Jews today who occupy a tiny sliver of land while there are 1.5 billion Muslims today who occupy 1/5th of the total land mass and are expanding that land mass everyday via violent, murderous jihad?

• Gene Nelson

And yet you responded.

• Dan Spitzer

This is a continuum of the accelerated expansion of Jew-hatred on campus, a fire fanned by the pro-Palestinian contingent led by a good many leftist faculty, in particular the founder of Students for Justice in Palestine, Professor Hatem Bazian. He is the sponsor of the course which the Dean and many faculty demanded be taught calling half the Jews on the planet who live in Israel “colonial settlers.”

BDS has been supported toward no other nation as it has previously by the UCB student government. And any reasonable observer knows that such enmity would not be tolerated at Cal toward any other ethnic/religious people on campus.

What is happening is bigotry at its most odious and if the fire is not put out by the administration and faculty, Cal will become a standard bearer corresponding the German campuses where the Third Reich initially fanned the flames…

• garyfouse

UCB has become the most anti-Jew campus in the country even worse than SFSU. If the campus police and university really want to find the perps, I believe they can do so. I am not holding my breath. The connection between the sponsors of the controversial course and these posters is pretty obvious.

I don’t know if Janet Napolitano is still alive or not, but if so, she has a lot of housecleaning to do at UCB. Banning SJP would be a good start.

• Arafat

I think UCB should become a 100% Muslim university. UCB deserves no less.

• Ellen Hanson

“He is the sponsor of the course which the Dean and many faculty demanded be taught calling half the Jews on the planet who live in Israel “colonial settlers.”

‘Colonial settlers’ seems pretty generous to me. I don’t recall seeing any other colonial settlers wearing tee shirts like these …

https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2009/03/15245789.jpg

The shirt on the left shows a pregnant woman, clearly meant to be Arab/Palestinian, in crosshairs and says “1 Shot 2 Kills.” The one on the right has a kid carrying a gun in crosshairs and says “The smaller, the harder,”

Haaretz calls the shirts ‘tasteless’. That too seems generous.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/idf-soldiers-anti-palestinian-t-shirts-are-tasteless-1.272712

• Dan Spitzer

Ms. Hanson, we have seen previous posts by you calling into question the veracity of the Holocaust. Correspondingly, no reasonable person could find your commentaries of substance, let alone decent ethics…

• Ellen Hanson

I am not surprised that you would try to divert attention from the targeted killing of children, openly (as evidenced by the t-shirts) practiced by the Israli military. Chris Hedges, currently a TruthDig columnist and former NYT correspondent, has witnessed and written about the Israli military shooting children for sport. Here is the link ….

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/why_israel_lies_20140803

“The boys, about 10 years old, then threw stones at an Israeli vehicle and the soldiers opened fire, killing some, wounding others. I was present more than once as Israeli troops drew out and shot Palestinian children in this way.

• Dan Spitzer

Again, Ms. Hanson, those like you who question the reality of the Holocaust have revealed exactly their unmitigated bigotry and cannot be taken seriously. BTW, Hedges was bounced from the Times for his ideological stances and only the fools who are KPFA-Pacifica regulars find any merit in his hatred for Israel.

Apparently, Hanson, you have somehow neglected that the topic of the piece is the finding of anti-Semitic posters through the UCB campus. Not that this apparently bothers you. Holocaust deniers doubtless like this exhibit of anti-Semitism…