Heat advisory issued for Bay Area

summer_2

It may be fall, but the dog days aren’t over. The National Weather Service issued a heat advisory Sunday, warning of record-high temperatures in Berkeley and the entire San Francisco Bay Area.

Many parts of the Bay are expected to experience their highest temperatures of the year Sunday and Monday, the advisory said. Inland areas will experience temperatures ranging from 90 degrees to 105 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas coastal areas are expected to experience temperatures from 80 degrees up to the mid-90s.

The heat advisory is in effect from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday and Monday. Temperatures are expected to begin cooling Tuesday, mostly in coastal areas, and more widespread cooling is expected Wednesday.

The alert warns that the increased temperatures will put those who are sensitive to heat at a higher risk for health problems. It advises that residents of the affected areas drink plenty of fluids, stay out of the sun, stay in air-conditioned rooms, check up on neighbors and relatives and do not leave children or pets inside vehicles.

Jessica Lynn is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jessicailynn.