Midterm playlist: 90s edition

Jamin Kim-Sanders/File
Jamin Kim-Sanders/File
Jamin Kim-Sanders/File

It’s the eighth week of the semester. That means you’re about to be flooded with midterms, research papers and copious amounts of stress. How could this be possible? You don’t even feel like you should be in college. Here at the Clog we feel your pain, so we’ve created a playlist to guide you through each stage of midterms. Not to mention the songs will transport you back to the good ol’ days of Rugrats and Push Pops. Before midterms. 

“Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)” by Backstreet Boys

At this point, you still feel like it’s summer. Since being back at school, you’ve been catching up with all your friends, going to CREAM at least once a week and only occasionally doing the readings for class. While you’ve glanced at the in-class essay prompt your professor handed out, you’re not worried. Besides, it’s two whole weeks away, no need to stress.

“This Is How We Do It” by Montell Jordan

Okay, it’s time to buckle down. You’ve now realized that studying is priority number one. You tackle the disheveled stack of papers on your desk, also known as your notes, and get organized. You’re going to destroy these midterms.  

“Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana

It’s 4 a.m. and you’re elbow deep in coffee cups and study guides. By this time, you’ve finally grasped the concepts of multiple theorists and know how to prevent World War III. Unfortunately, your hygiene is probably suffering and like Kurt Cobain, no one can really understand you.

“Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia

Tears are rolling down your snot-covered cheeks. Completely overwhelmed, unprepared and anxiety ridden, you feel more stressed than ever. With the future looking bleak, you call your parents and tell them to prepare for the inevitable — you’re going to flunk out this semester. Don’t worry, everyone feels this way. Just grab those tissues and let it all out.

“Basket Case” by Green Day

There’s no turning back now that you’re walking into your midterm. Running on three hours of sleep, all your basic survival skills have been swapped out with tedious facts about the Spanish-American War. While you can’t wait to get your midterm over with, your roommates are even more excited. They’ll no longer have to put up with your grouchy, sleep-deprived, midterm alter ego.

“…Baby One More Time” by Britney Spears

“Was that answer C or D? Did I put a negative in front of the solution?” While you are now done (congrats!), doubts fill your mind. If you could just go back and tweak a few answers, you would feel more confident. But instead you must wait, anxiously awaiting your exam’s final grade.

“Survivor” by Destiny’s Child

Not only did you survive midterms, you killed it. Time to go let loose with some friends for a night and reward yourself. But you were never really worried about midterms anyways. It’s finals that scare you. But those aren’t for a few months, so no need to think about those — yet.

Contact Kirsty Fowler at [email protected].