ASUC SUPERB’s fall 2016 film screening lineup

ColorEdited_CrystalZhong_Superb
Crystal Zhong/Staff

This semester, ASUC SUPERB’s film lineup is combining the new and old, coupling modern blockbusters with legendary classics. With Stanley Kubrick’s science-fiction masterpiece “2001: A Space Odyssey” and Seth Rogen’s laugh-a-minute “Superbad” already screened, the juxtapositions will continue over the following months to keep us entertained as the year advances. Featuring Pixar’s newest, the greatest from the “Master of Suspense,” DC’s first monster hit and an Oscar-sweeper featuring Jack Nicholson’s best performance, there is plenty of award-worthy (and affordable) entertainment for everyone.

— Levi Hill

“Finding Dory”
When: Oct. 14, @ 9 p.m.
Where: Memorial Glade

Thirteen years after the wondrous “Finding Nemo,” Pixar shifted its focus to the lovable supporting character Dory for her very own movie. “Finding Dory” picks up a year after the events of the first film as Dory is suddenly confronted by one of her first memories of her parents. Desperately needing to find a way back to them, Dory, Marlin and Nemo set off on yet another journey across the vast ocean.

Much like the other films in Pixar’s oeuvre, “Finding Dory” is a magnificent achievement, bringing much more emotional depth to Ellen DeGeneres’ character than we expected and offering some of the most fun at the movies this year. Pixar’s quest to cater to both children and adults succeeds for the umpteenth time, and if you thought you could skip on the tissues for this one, think again.

— Kyle Kizu

“Psycho”
When: Oct. 27 @ 9 p.m.
Where: Memorial Glade

Crafted by “The Master of Suspense” himself, Alfred Hitchcock’s “Psycho” has been the definitive horror film since it was first released in 1960.

Tired and desperate for a place to rest, Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) checks into the remote Bates Motel only to discover that her seemingly quiet lodging is anything but. After she encounters the hotel’s friendly owner, Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins), Crane begins to uncover an ominous secret shared between Bates and his elusive mother.

Unlike the films that comprise the genre today, the dread of “Psycho” stems from the film’s terrifying slow-build narrative, Bernard Herrmann’s iconic screeching score and its actors’ and actresses’ enrapturing performances. It never resorts to gratuitous blood, gore or jump scares to frighten. Instead, the movie captures the grave dangers in an unhinged human psyche, resulting in bone-chilling tension. Hitchcock’s deceptive storyline shocks and fools but keeps you peeking through your fingers.

Experience the cinematic legend that taught the world to always lock the bathroom door.

— Sanjay Nimmagudda

“Suicide Squad”
When: Nov. 11 @ 9 p.m.
Where: Memorial Glade

“Suicide Squad” is the third installment in the DC Extended Universe and follows a ragtag group of super villains who unite to save the world from apocalyptic doom. There’s lots to love about “Suicide Squad”: Margot Robbie’s portrayal of comic book icon Harley Quinn is endearingly insane yet emotionally resonant, and Will Smith packs his trademark charisma (think “Independence Day,” “I Am Legend”)  into a performance that marks a return to form for the actor, adding extra entertainment value into this summer blockbuster. Additionally, brief Batman scenes prove that any dose of Bat-fleck instantly improves any movie.

DC Comics boasts some of fiction’s richest villains. Characters such as Harley Quinn, Deadshot or El Diablo might land on the wrong side of the law, but ultimately, they simply crave family. This duality gives “Suicide Squad” a soul amid the fun action and killer soundtrack. To quote Harley Quinn, “What a ride!”

— Harrison Tunggal

“One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”
When: Dec. 1, @ 9 p.m.
Where: Memorial Glade

Milos Forman’s Oscar-sweeping “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” is a tale of backslapping male bonding, full with a basketball game, a dubious fishing trip and an even more dubious party — all centered around patients that escape a mental institution. But it is here that the film is also a cutting critique of the mental health profession, being based on a novel written in the midst of the U.S.’s deinstitutionalization movement. Best Actor Oscar winner Jack Nicholson holds these seemingly disparate parts together with a poignant performance, one of his best, that leans on his simmering air of frustration as much as it does on his every raucous cackle. Like the other patients, you won’t know quite what to make of him or the events he precipitates. By the end of the film, though, having laughed and cried and experienced every strange emotion in between, you will miss his enigmatic charisma.

— Sahana Rangarajan

Contact the Daily Cal Arts Staff at [email protected].